2012 Nitro Internats

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will you still be able to run time trials after the trophy classes for the top 6 heat racers is over for the day?

Or will it be only for the heat racer winers?

David

As time permits, we will run Record Trials after the days events are finished. It is not certain that the Charleston Club will be able to have the course surveyed and certified. We will see on that.
Would make it a lot more inviting if it can be certified to run time trials after the racing. If not there will not be much for the rest to do but watch for the second part of the week.

David

David,

Just to let you know when we put in the course it was done by an engineer using a surveyor's transit. Extreme care was made when it was laid out using premade rigging for the measurements for each of the buoys. Permanent pins on both sides of the lake, etc. I can tell you that this course is more accurate than most every other course that is being used without a certification. I was there doing the work along with our engineer and it took a full day to finish.

We will try and get it certified before the internats. But remember, what does it buy? Only a certification for records and nothing more. Can the time trials still be held? Absolutely and a US-1 champion will still be crowned. Another point, when are the majority of time trials held? In June? No. Ask yourself why. It will be nice to get the course certified but it will not detract from the quality of the race if it is not.

David,

Just to let you know when we put in the course it was done by an engineer using a surveyor's transit. Extreme care was made when it was laid out using premade rigging for the measurements for each of the buoys. Permanent pins on both sides of the lake, etc. I can tell you that this course is more accurate than most every other course that is being used without a certification. I was there doing the work along with our engineer and it took a full day to finish.

We will try and get it certified before the internats. But remember, what does it buy? Only a certification for records and nothing more. Can the time trials still be held? Absolutely and a US-1 champion will still be crowned. Another point, when are the majority of time trials held? In June? No. Ask yourself why. It will be nice to get the course certified but it will not detract from the quality of the race if it is not.
John

Not trying to detract from the quality of the race at all. Sorry if you took it that way. As far as why there are no time trials in the heat of the summer don't under stand that. warm water helps keep heat in the eng. At sea level as long as adjusted altitude is fairly good the warm water should make up for any short comings. My buddy Dick was the one that turned me on to this point.

David

John always knows how to peak interest in a big event. He let the "cat out of the bag" early on this one.

I presented a proposal to the Charleston Model Boat Club about 2 weeks ago which had been in development for about 8 weeks or so. Several people found out that the Charleston Club wanted to put on the Internats and it would be heat racing only. A group decided to see if we could convince them to put on a full Internats. The response, if you can get a group together and present a reasonable proposal, we will decide.

We did that and have developed a plan that will produce an Internats like days past with all events (Heat Racing, Straight-a-Way, Timed Oval and Specialty Races). I have assembled a really experienced group of people who will put this event on for you. Some of them and their areas include:

Marty Davis - CD & Co-Head Referee

Dick Jones, Asst CD & Social Coordinator with additional people

Mark Grannis, Asst CD Racing & Co-Head Referee

Stu Barr, Asst CD Logistics & Prizes

John Knight – CMB Coordinator

Terry Keeley, Asst CD Trophy Trials & Co-Head Referee

Norm Doerr & Mike Culhane, Retrieve Boat Coordinators

Gary Turner, Check In and Registration

__________ Pit Boss Coordinator

Ron Zaker, Jr, Referee Coordinator

Bob Kensill, Prize Acquisition - Under Stu Barr

Mark Bullard, Open Water Coordinator

Mike Schindler, Scoring Coordinator

Steve Ball , US#1 Award Acquisition

Bob Kensill, Trophy Coordinator – Except US1 Trophies

Dick Tyndall, Banquet Coordinator

Don Ferrette, Timing Equipment & Setup

Bill Zuber, Trophy Trials Timing – Under Terry Keeley

As you can see there are many highly experienced people who want to put this on. We are still looking for a few other people to assist. Some of the remaining tasks include:

"Wife and Children Activities" - Under Dick Jones

­­­­"Manufacturers Cocktail Parties" - Under Dick Jones

­"Transmitter Impound" (all 27 and 75 MHz)

“T Shirt Acquisition and Design”

“Class Sponsors of Trophies”

“MeTime Coordinator”

Local Media Coordinator”

“Race Program Design & Construction” if someone is interested.

“Raffles During the Week”

If any of you want to help, please contact me at: [email protected]

This race shapes up as one NOT TO MISS. Be sure to enter early, as it will fill up quickly.

We hope to see some of the old faces at this race!!!

Marty Davis

Thats a whole lot of chiefs!

Hope to make at least some of the race... time will tell.

I don't think I got my point across well. At the internats generally records are not set because of the warmer weather. Almost all record trials are during the cooler months when the air is more dense and you can generate more power. The internats are held during the summner months and denser air is just not there. Rare that any records are set then. That is what I meant, nothing more.

I hold my hat to all of the record holders and their hard work and accomplishments. It is remarkable and much praise is to be given. Did not want to offend or have anyone take it wrongly that their accomplishments were secondary or of little value. It certainly is not.

Most of the clubs that have hosted a internats didn't spend the money to have course surveyed except evansville in 2002 the part that stinks is John brown had set a oval twin record at the 06 nats put the course had moved and the record was disallowed

I don't think I got my point across well. At the internats generally records are not set because of the warmer weather. Almost all record trials are during the cooler months when the air is more dense and you can generate more power. The internats are held during the summner months and denser air is just not there. Rare that any records are set then. That is what I meant, nothing more.

I hold my hat to all of the record holders and their hard work and accomplishments. It is remarkable and much praise is to be given. Did not want to offend or have anyone take it wrongly that their accomplishments were secondary or of little value. It certainly is not.
Thanks for clearing that up Mr. Knight. ;)

Doug

No problem John was just asking a question. Did not take it the wrong way.

David

John:

It is not unusual at all for a record to be set at an Internats. Just haven't been very many with Record Trials as part of the full version of the Internats. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a new record or two set if we get the course surveyed.

Since Charleston runs a 5 pin turn and most IMPBA records have been set on 3 pin turn, does anyone have experience with the same boat on both courses. Are we correct in assuming the 3 pin is an advantage?

Going to be a great race and running in early June is a step in the right direction for southern racesites.

Mic

Getting a record at a Internats would be a challenge. You only have one shot, and with a heat racing boat. Record or not, the winner has the best time of the day in the class. Much tension trying to out do each other in the time trials. Not a boring day at all.

Thank You CMB for stepping up and taking charge for the 2012 Internats.

Concerns I would have is :

1. By moving the dates to May-June, you take alot of the family racers out of the mix.... most kids are still in school.

2. In my case I build atleast a new boat a year and the last weekend in May give's very little test/setup time on new designs.... I know alot of the racers north of me cant test until May (Hard Water/Ice).

3. Our district races are pretty much set around the Internats being held at the end of July, I myself wouldn't miss a District race for the Internats

Thank You,

Paul

Ya that time of yr is FROSTY around here. But down there i am sure it is nice weather. As for the kids i dont see that many KIDS that go to the nats. We have a hard enough time keeping people in this hobby and the bulk of the people have been in this hobby for yrs so i dont see kids beenin a HUGE part of the nats

Since Charleston runs a 5 pin turn and most IMPBA records have been set on 3 pin turn, does anyone have experience with the same boat on both courses. Are we correct in assuming the 3 pin is an advantage?

Going to be a great race and running in early June is a step in the right direction for southern racesites.

Mic

Mic:

The turns are the same for IMPBA and NAMBA except that there are two extra buoys on each end. These can be removed easily if needed. As for ease of making the turn, there really is no difference between the turns when you are going fast.

The heat racing portion will use the 5 buoy course. As far as the time trials we can easily remove the intermediates as they are drop in only. Easy to put them back for regular racing. We can decide among the race officials and the competitors during the trial phases. We'll do what the racers want.

The 2011 summer season in Charleston started in the 2nd week of June with the highs in the mid to high 90's. Most unusual as it came a month earlier than normal. We do not want to go through that for a week's worth of racing again. We know that school is in session for some locales but we have to do the best for all concerned. And we know that the northern folks are just coming out of a winter session but we hope that they will take advantage of the warmer weather in SC. The northern guys coming in for the tunnel championships in the end of April have even a bigger challenge.

We also know that the usual time period for the internats is July or August. Our proposal will include a deviation for an earlier race. Trust me in saying that you do not want to be in Charleston for a week running boats during July or August. A sauna is mild to what we went through this past summer. It will be MUCH better for all in late May to early June. And if a record in the time trial phases could be set being an earlier time will give it a better chance to occur.

Thank You CMB for stepping up and taking charge for the 2012 Internats.

Concerns I would have is :

1. By moving the dates to May-June, you take alot of the family racers out of the mix.... most kids are still in school.

2. In my case I build atleast a new boat a year and the last weekend in May give's very little test/setup time on new designs.... I know alot of the racers north of me cant test until May (Hard Water/Ice).

3. Our district races are pretty much set around the Internats being held at the end of July, I myself wouldn't miss a District race for the Internats

Thank You,

Paul

You would be crying for mercy in July ...TOO hot for a long race like this IMO .

is there any on site camping?

Brian,

We have a small open area we have reserved for RV's and campers. There are no support utilities or dump stations as this is our owners property and is not a campground facility. Tents will have to be among the RV and camper area due to the large number of racers expected to come in.

I agree with Paul on the timing of this event. Kids being in school means that parents can't attend and nor can anyone who is a teacher. Also, a lot of people can only get vacation the the Summer months. I'm not in this boat as I'm retired and can go whenever and wherever I like but I think this will likely be a deterent for many.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back