What is gasoline?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

lohring

Within 15 minutes from my house I can fill up with 87 to 92 octane "gasoline", 100 octane unleaded and 110 octane leaded "race gasoline", 100 octane low lead and 100/130 octane aviation gasoline, and E85. The NAMBA rules specify "gasoline with an octane rating no higher than 100" for the G classes and 117 octane for the GX classes.

What should be legal? How about E85? I don't know about the octane rating, but some premium gasolines are using alcohol as the octane booster. How much does it take before it becomes "fuel"? Lots of people are running U-2 in their Quickdraws. Is that really "gasoline"? What should the rules say?

Lohring Miller

Lohring my friend

I was wondering why you would bring something like this up how at this stage of the game

NO BODY has been inforcing any rules any way

If I remember correctly I gave our own NAMBA national gas chairman Russel Stark a device to check for any additives because he wanted to see if anyone was using elegal fuel at a national event -- when he got there he changed his mind -- so if he don,t care who should

That,s like closeing the barn door after the horse got out

Sorry for being so negetive but we have been througth this so many times it,s not worth it

Hope to see you at the GOLD CUP

Regards

Henry

Lohring,

Interesting topic. Being an old time drag race guy, it is the norm at national events to test the fuel after each round won. NHRA I thought checks via various methods testing nitromethane, alcohol and well as racing gasoline. I do know if you have alcohol and your gasoline, you are DQ'ed. They further specify depending on the class you are in, what type of racing gas you can use and they maintain the list on their website.

I never gave the gasoline issue much thought until you mentioned it. Further, if testing is not performed, well could be tempted to modify the gasoline just a bit. The 130 aviation gas is some really hot fuel. I remember back in the 60's when Sunoco briefly offered a 270 (??) grade fuel. They never did acknowledge the octane rating but quickly pulled it of the market when some piston crowns got scorched on street machines.

Bill

Gasoline is for washing parts, Nitro is for racing. :p :p
Yes that is correct, and what is alcohol for? :D :D :D
Drinking of course. :p :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wrong Wrong Wrong!!!

You drink Nitro and Pass gas!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

never miss a chance to tell that one.
Been there done that..... more than gas came out :blink:
what happened norm blew an oil seal lol.

:ph34r: Good point :huh: Cheat <_< Nobody cant see red tank inside liquid( what mix??) because someone knew sercet how to mix from funny car pure nitro, high octane and pure alcohol also may pure acid from battery <_< NO Law for Namba and Imbpa rules :eek: Will find out later and will inspect to octane tube temp tester at everyone for Gas boats

Last edited by a moderator:
My boats and I are both nitro powered, methane for the boats and glycerine for me!

Is there really any advantage to using higher octane gas in boats? From what I've heard, no. I would like to see campstove fuel being legalized for the gas class though. As far as I know about that, it supposedly isn't a legal fuel yet. Please correct me if I'm wrong as I'd rather use camp fuel over gas when my C-box is done.

My boats and I are both nitro powered, methane for the boats and glycerine for me!

Is there really any advantage to using higher octane gas in boats? From what I've heard, no. I would like to see campstove fuel being legalized for the gas class though. As far as I know about that, it supposedly isn't a legal fuel yet. Please correct me if I'm wrong as I'd rather use camp fuel over gas when my C-box is done.
Well if campstove fuel ain't legal there's a bunch of people running illegally. There is NO performance gain with the camp fuel, actually was consistently 2/10ths slower mph wise (which ain't squat) on radar every time in back to back to back testing. The UP side is it doesn't STINK up everything! :rolleyes:

I can tell you this EVERY SINGLE RACE that I've been to this year, when the gassers fire up the assortment of smells from the exhausts some of them ain't runnin' anything close to pump gas. :ph34r:

Well if campstove fuel ain't legal there's a bunch of people running illegally. There is NO performance gain with the camp fuel, actually was consistently 2/10ths slower mph wise (which ain't squat) on radar every time in back to back to back testing. The UP side is it doesn't STINK up everything! :rolleyes:

I can tell you this EVERY SINGLE RACE that I've been to this year, when the gassers fire up the assortment of smells from the exhausts some of them ain't runnin' anything close to pump gas. :ph34r:

An easy way to fix that is to have the club supply the gas.

What would that cost? $10 - $20 for the whole weekend.

An easy way to fix that is to have the club supply the gas.

What would that cost? $10 - $20 for the whole weekend.
I tell you what, you go post that over on the gasser's site- JCRB & watch what happens. They'll light you up you worse than an athiest in the middle of an old time religous revival! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Folks,

My .02 as a returning boater. Campstove (Coleman) fuel was basically the same as Amoco white gas which used to be their premium (92+). Someone indicated some boats actually ran slower on this stuff which would lead me to believe the octane is lower. And yes, the hotter octanes are very pungent when they burn.

A general rule for hot fuels was the massive increase in compression ratios and other factors, hence the increase in octane to prevent detonation. Race engines now have compression ratios in the 16:1 or more range. They have also dramatically increased intakes on naturally aspirated engines to increase fuel charges. More fuel/air = more power. Check out the variety available from VP Racing - VP Racing Fuels

I am done. Just found this topic very interesting.

Bill

according to the gasser's over on jim's boat dock, none of the gases mention, run or perform any better . some say coleman camp fuel burn's better than 87 and 89 octane and (I BELIEVE) C-12 OR B-12 BURN'S THE SAME AS CAMP FUEL.. sorry about the cap's.

All Octane does is prevent preignition or nock. Just get more fuel and air throught the motor and it goes faster :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back