Engine Mod questions

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are heading in a good direction in terms of getting the squish area/cr correct. I understand you wanting to get all your engines running good. But, Do not get too wrapped up in comparing engine mods on 2 different engines,to find out what makes engines run. Work with 1 engine,make mods and test at the pond to see for yourself what matters and what don't. One thing I'll say is when changing port area and timing,alot of times the engine will want a different pipe. So I would make changes and plug 4,5,or 8 different pipes on a engine testing each at the pond to see if the engine wants a different pipe after the porting was changed.You seem to be a hard worker which will work your way. Have fun testing, Jeff Lutz
Jeff, the reason I wanted to compare the engines was because I knew which one worked good for me...so figured if I could duplicate that in another engine, then I would get similar experience. It is not so much about getting all these engines running good...just trying to learn before I start anything on my CMB engines...figured learning on the .18s would be cheaper.

Part of what I am having a hard time wrapping my head around, is all the contradictions. Some examples...in the EAP, it shoots for 8.1 to 1 compression ratio for a .21 engine. What I keep hearing is to shoot for 10 to 1. I have heard this from multiple sources. So now, take into consideration that the CVRM that I use the most in my RTR has a stock CR of 7.5. It is already lower than the 8.1 to 1 on the EAP, and really low compared to the 10 to 1 I have heard elsewhere...so what I have in my mind is what should I be shooting for...the 8.1 or the 10. And if I do any work on the ports, it will be even lower than the stock 7.5 to 1. With the 8.1 and the 10 references...these are why I was shotting for the 9 to 1 with the GO engine. The GO is kind of a dog as is (compared to the CVRM)...so if I screw it up by modding, it won't hurt much. Another example...I had a lot of problems popping plugs in the TZ...though it was faster when it ran right. So was trying to find a compromise between the CVRM and the TZ...and am thinking the CR differences between them might be the problem with popping the plugs (burning the filament).

A lot of the sample engines in the EAP look like they are 10 or more years old. I don't really see any current engines in there. So...just trying to figure it all out.

Right now we have about 4 to 6 inches of snow on the ground...so might be a little while before I can make it to the pond to do more testing...heh. So trying to soak up whatever I can learn in the mean time.

Thanks to everyone for their inputs. I have learned a lot in this thread and in side conversations.

Sean
Do not put the 10:1 as the " etched in stone ideal compression ratio". You have almost answered your own question in your findings.Believe it or not compression is relative to other factors in the engine.I have ran real fast with c/r of 7.7:1 upto 10.5:1.Remember what I said about pipes,and test at the pond. Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Back