Zenoah vs .90 glow

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kez

I have always wanted the Dumas 55" Scarab for its scale appearance. Bought one recently and am in the building process.

I am between a Zenoah G23 and a Picco 90 for power. I understand this forum is race oriented and may not get too much response for this hull. So I will ask a generic question: FOr any given deepvee hull, what kind of speed can I expect from a Zenoah and a Picco 90?

I am leaning towards the Zenoah not because of fuel cost but because of easy clean up inside the hull. However, if there is a big difference in performance, I will reconsider my choice. I would be happy if a Zenoah powered Scarab will do 50mph.

Thanks,

Kez

I have always wanted the Dumas 55" Scarab for its scale appearance. Bought one recently and am in the building process.

I am between a Zenoah G23 and a Picco 90 for power. I understand this forum is race oriented and may not get too much response for this hull. So I will ask a generic question: FOr any given deepvee hull, what kind of speed can I expect from a Zenoah and a Picco 90?

I am leaning towards the Zenoah not because of fuel cost but because of easy clean up inside the hull. However, if there is a big difference in performance, I will reconsider my choice. I would be happy if a Zenoah powered Scarab will do 50mph.

Thanks,

Kez
If you go over to Jim's there is some good information on this hull. I have one that I have not built yet. I love nitro but I plan to do this boat gas if I ever get through all the othe projects.

Zach

the picco will be faster but more expensive to run, the 55 scarab will not be a fast boat(55+) if you were to get it that fast it would not be too good in the choppy water. i would say go for the zen, you can get a 230 real cheap used, if you are going to buy new then go for a 260(if you are going to sell the zen the 260 would sell easier). this boat with a 230 all setup i would say about 35-40mph, you may get a bit more out of a 260 full mod but more$$$$$$$

Thanks,

Kez
If you go over to Jim's there is some good information on this hull. I have one that I have not built yet. I love nitro but I plan to do this boat gas if I ever get through all the othe projects.

Zach
Thanks for your reply. I am not a member at Jim's. I remember having difficulties signing up. Will try again.

Kez

the picco will be faster but more expensive to run, the 55 scarab will not be a fast boat(55+) if you were to get it that fast it would not be too good in the choppy water. i would say go for the zen, you can get a 230 real cheap used, if you are going to buy new then go for a 260(if you are going to sell the zen the 260 would sell easier). this boat with a 230 all setup i would say about 35-40mph, you may get a bit more out of a 260 full mod but more$$$$$$$
I Liked mine with an OPS 90 I bet it did every bit of 55 and the more chop the faster it went and was smooth and turned good also. the only thing I did different was I made it come out the back of the transom instead of under the hull.

Hope this helps on your decision

This was my first boat and I still have it.

Terry

I Liked mine with an OPS 90 I bet it did every bit of 55 and the more chop the faster it went and was smooth and turned good also. the only thing I did different was I made it come out the back of the transom instead of under the hull.

Hope this helps on your decision

This was my first boat and I still have it.

Terry
Hi Terry,

Can you please post some pictures of your boat? Or email me?

I have a Picco 80 and it looks lost in the hull. What prop did you use on the boat to get that speed?

Also, did you use the 3/8" rails that came with the kit? Aeromarine use 1/8" ply for even their large cats and I am wondering if 3/8 is overkill.

Any other tips?

Kez

I have a Picco 80 and I am not sure if it will push it to 40mph. I was checking on Ebay and notice G260pum. I have no gas experience at all. What is the difference between a G260 and a G260PUM?

Kez

i believe these are the same motor, the 230 motor has some differences, the g-23 is a 2 port and the 230pum is a 4 port motor. little better performance with the 4 port. you can buy new 260's for approx 225$ and all 260's are 4 port. get onto jims dock and search for info on zenoahs. lotsa info

Latest posts

Back