A few questions on engine mounting rails

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kez

Hi All,

I am rebuilding a Dumas CF 40 deepvee. I know it is deemed a dated hull by most but I like it because of the pleasing lines and scale appearance.

I built the hull many years ago and used the included 3/8" ply for rails. I'd like to replace these as I need to drill new holes to accomodate a new mount.

Questions:

1. What is easiest way to remove the rails that has been glassed in? I don't want to just tear them out and risk damaging the hull.

2. What thickness rail to use? I am quite surprised to see some Aeromarine hulls with 1/8" rails installed on a .80 Cat. Will that be too filmsy for a .40 engine? I have seen anything from 1/8" through 3/8". 3/8" is defintely overkill in my opinion. I am thinking 3/16 for a .40.

3. Is it necessary to tie the two rails with a cross piece like some of Aeromarine hulls? Will two rails alone be strong enough?

4. If I decided to just use the existing rails and drill new holes, what is the right tool to use? I can buy a Dremel 90 degrees attachment but I can only fit a 1/8" bit. My rails are 4" apart. That is tight even for a Dremel.

Thanks,

Kez

Back