IMPBA noise rule & dB meters

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know a lot of you are looking at this the wrong way. Now if we want to lower the noise at our races that is fine, no problem. But don't say it is because we won't lose lakes. There has not been one lake lost to noise in this country. Now in saying that let me explain. I know that there has been some lakes lost, but why? Well if the true be know. These nice lakes that we have run on for years grew houses around them. I know for a fact that it happen to the Birmingham Al club and it happen to the Atlanta club three times until they came to the place they are now. Now lets look at Atlanta. They are in a industrial park, no problem there. Why, one of the major factors is the lake is right under the flying line of the runways of the Altanta Airport. Anyone that has ever been there know that when the jets take off you can't hear anything. Also the man that owns the property is a big racing fan and puts a lot of money into racing. The Evansville club lake is set in the middle of commerial property. With all of the motel and hotels and eating places. Now do you thing that they are going to complain about noise. I don't think so. Why, they like the money we bring in. And the thing is this will be true for all of the cities around that allow us to run in there lakes. Think about what I just said. A racer goes to a race like the Internats. He will be there for at least 10 days and nights. You racers that have been to the nats know what I am talking about. And you others do the math. Now a host club goes to a city and ask to use a lake to put on a event like this. When you tell the city that you will have about a 150 racers at the lake for about 10 days. The city will just see dollar signs and will not be worried about a little noise.

Now this goes along with this present rule. If we keep making this noise issuse so hard to live with. Then the racers will stop coming to the races. And yes this is more than likey why there has not been anyone step up for the 2007 Internats.

Mark Bullard
BINGO !!!!!!! Location , Location ,Location !

Mark,

I know this thread is mostly about the Nats but,

Are you forgetting about local ponds where we test?Not everyone has the luxury of testing at a IMPBA site except for race weekend.

We're having noise problems on a local level too.That counts for quite a few of us.How many have been chased away from great local ponds because of noise?How many places have they been chased from before they gave up on model boating for a lack of places to go?From these missing people,how many would have raced? Guess we'll never know.

If we have to do all of our testing with quiet pipes,what happens when we race unrestricted?And the cost than to have multiple sets of pipes for ALL of our boats?

Or does it not matter? :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
In Australia,,,,, (I know, just hear me out) we have 1 meter which is controlled by the committee and sent out to all the sanctioned races. It is defined in the rule book the distance, angle and height of the mounting platform. Measured scale and so forth, the rule is written for one boat at a time supposedly at full throttle. (You can tell if someone is sandbagging) it is not rocket science like you are trying to make it out to be! Maybe you need 4 meters all controlled by the IMPBA, maybe 10, who cares, just get it done and be quiet! (pun intended :p )

I can't remember the last time someone was disqualified, a few warnings yes but that is all it takes. If your warned at one race you can bet your going to be looked at at the next one as well, the boating community is very small,,,World wide! :D

In Australia,,,,, (I know, just hear me out) we have 1 meter which is controlled by the committee and sent out to all the sanctioned races. It is defined in the rule book the distance, angle and height of the mounting platform. Measured scale and so forth, the rule is written for one boat at a time supposedly at full throttle. (You can tell if someone is sandbagging) it is not rocket science like you are trying to make it out to be! Maybe you need 4 meters all controlled by the IMPBA, maybe 10, who cares, just get it done and be quiet! (pun intended :p )

I can't remember the last time someone was disqualified, a few warnings yes but that is all it takes. If your warned at one race you can bet your going to be looked at at the next one as well, the boating community is very small,,,World wide! :D
You know a lot of you are looking at this the wrong way. Now if we want to lower the noise at our races that is fine, no problem. Mark after reading your post i feel you dont care how much noise we make the fact is the majority voted to lower the noise. We must find a way to lower noise levels

Mark,

Are you forgetting about local ponds where we test?Not everyone has the luxury of testing at a IMPBA site except for race weekend.

We're having noise problems on a local level too.That counts for quite a few of us.How many have been chased away from great local ponds because of noise?How many places have they been chased from before they gave up on model boating for a lack of places to go?From these missing people,how many would have raced? Guess we'll never know.

If we have to do all of our testing with quiet pipes,what happens when we race unrestricted?And the cost than to have multiple sets of pipes for ALL of our boats?

Walt,

You have a very valid point. But where were these pond that you got chase away from. Were there houses around them or did you run on them without permission. I would bet you a lot of money that if you were running electric boats on the pond you would be run off also. Also I did not say anything about running unrestricted.

Some people have asked how they do the db ruling across the bid pond. See post #13 under this thread.http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showtopic=16567

Notice it says 87.1 so it is fair to say that it is not with a radio shack meter because it does not have the ability to read in the .1. JUST AN OBSERVATION.

Allen

You know a lot of you are looking at this the wrong way. Now if we want to lower the noise at our races that is fine, no problem. Mark after reading your post i feel you dont care how much noise we make the fact is the majority voted to lower the noise. We must find a way to lower noise levels
Mike,

My point it really does not make any differents. I will contiune to run my internal stingers and muffled pipes on my boats. And I do have some ideas how to make the internal stinger even quieter. Will this do any good. I do not know. Why, we need to see what the meters are doing to make this a valid point. I will never go back to running stock nitro pipes.

The point is why do we need to lower the noise. No one has giving a valid answer.

Now if you just want to lower the noise at our race sites for our on good thats fine. Because it is not a safety issuse or a noise issuse to keep lakes or anything else except to lower because we want to.

I do feel the the overall noise was louder than the last two Internats. Why I think for one it was the site. Plus the fact that most 20 boat, some 40 boats, and some 60 boats were running without any kind of muffling device. Now you would say that they were under the limit. Maybe, but I think that there may be a problem with the frequency of the sound verses the waying scale of the meter. Just something to think about.

Mark

it does however END THE PIPE DEBATE.. it gets the MFGs involved (this is lacking in our CULT sport) and because of this its causing a decline in numbers.
Why on earth would any pipe manufacturer want to make a bunch of pipes that won't sell because nobody runs them?
You hit the nail right on the head.. BUT.. if this pipe was approved and was still slow.. double dumb a.. on the MFG.. just like racing they got beat.. cant take the heat.. you know the saying..

I bet the likes of Mr. Cooper would not take this lying down.. he would hit the books (as he as done in the past) and make the VERY BEST PIPES HE CAN.. some will run them.. (i run OS OB engines) and some will not (you might run K+ B) .. would we win.. would Mr Cooper win. HELL YA.. would we be stronger because some new guy sees an opportunity to makes pipes too... hum.. BINGO we have a winner.

GET IT.. lets get the MFGs involved and its GOING TO MAKE US STRONGER.. Rubber dildos and ad ons would not need to be checked with a DB meter.. they would not exist.. hell NONE of the pipes you would see at a race would need to be checked with a DB meter.. the board would have your BEST interests in mind to the best of there understanding..

Once again.. its a proven method and its nothing new..

Grimracer

Some people have asked how they do the db ruling across the bid pond. See post #13 under this thread.http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showtopic=16567

Notice it says 87.1 so it is fair to say that it is not with a radio shack meter because it does not have the ability to read in the .1. JUST AN OBSERVATION.

Allen
Hebdrick X said the following under the above topic:

You can reed the Naviga noise rules HERE.

http://www.home.zonnet.nl/H.A.Spoor/FSR/NoiseRules.jpg

In addition to that :

The Db-meters must be calibrated and certified by a official authority ,

and if there are more of them in use the reading differences must be noted.

If some one can blow up the rules and post them here I would be very interested in seeing what they have to say. They are so small that I cant read them and I can not figure out how to make them bigger.

Allen

Mark,

Walt,

You have a very valid point. But where were these pond that you got chase away from. Were there houses around them or did you run on them without permission. I would bet you a lot of money that if you were running electric boats on the pond you would be run off also. Also I did not say anything about running unrestricted.
Mark,

Not true, there are no houses around and the pond is owned by Amway.And there closest office or facility is 50 miles away.The pond is at the roads edge and it's kind of a nature preserve.It's absolutly a beautiful little pond and large enough for big riggers. :)

We were forced away by Nature lovers because of THE NOISE.We were pretty much heckled away and one A Hole actually parked his canoe in the middle of where we were running. :angry:

Thats all they were concerned about was the NOISE.They were going to bring it up at the next township meeting. :(

Great!

We had to leave.I really don't want to loose that pond.So,I'm working extra hard to quiet down.

And I'll bet ya that I'm not the only one out there with a similar story.

So,this has Nothing to do with houses and the pond is open to all.

All that don't screw it up anyway.

Mark,

Walt,

Mark,

Not true, there are no houses around and the pond is owned by Amway.And there closest office or facility is 50 miles away.The pond is at the roads edge and it's kind of a nature preserve.It's absolutly a beautiful little pond and large enough for big riggers. :)

We were forced away by Nature lovers because of THE NOISE.We were pretty much heckled away and one A Hole actually parked his canoe in the middle of where we were running. :angry:

Thats all they were concerned about was the NOISE.They were going to bring it up at the next township meeting. :(

Great!

We had to leave.I really don't want to loose that pond.So,I'm working extra hard to quiet down.

Walt sounds like you Never had Permission to run on that lake. Private property is Not open to all....

it does however END THE PIPE DEBATE.. it gets the MFGs involved (this is lacking in our CULT sport) and because of this its causing a decline in numbers.
Why on earth would any pipe manufacturer want to make a bunch of pipes that won't sell because nobody runs them?
You hit the nail right on the head.. BUT.. if this pipe was approved and was still slow.. double dumb a.. on the MFG.. just like racing they got beat.. cant take the heat.. you know the saying..

I bet the likes of Mr. Cooper would not take this lying down.. he would hit the books (as he as done in the past) and make the VERY BEST PIPES HE CAN.. some will run them.. (i run OS OB engines) and some will not (you might run K+ B) .. would we win.. would Mr Cooper win. HELL YA.. would we be stronger because some new guy sees an opportunity to makes pipes too... hum.. BINGO we have a winner.

GET IT.. lets get the MFGs involved and its GOING TO MAKE US STRONGER.. Rubber dildos and ad ons would not need to be checked with a DB meter.. they would not exist.. hell NONE of the pipes you would see at a race would need to be checked with a DB meter.. the board would have your BEST interests in mind to the best of there understanding..

Once again.. its a proven method and its nothing new..

Grimracer
Grim What the hell are you saying? & Why were the Aquacraft (KING SPEED) boats Not Under 92 Db if it is So easy? You guys busted the Db meter every heat @ Over 95 Db on the E-ville Pond for 5 heats of racing..... I would like to know Why you were allowed to Run at all...

Mark,

Walt,

Mark,

Great!

AhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhHAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Dexter Yaegers bunch! Mr Yaeger is from Charlotte, NC. Another one of our ever growing Claims to Fame in these parts right along with Jim Baaker and George "The Scam Man" Shinn. The Amway bunch just wants you out because they are a bored bunch of lonely people that have nothing better to do than try to make money off of others efforts and aggrevate the **** out of anybody that they think they can. They want you off of the pond because it's their pond and they can do nothing with it if they want to, as long as nobody has any fun on or around it, they are happy!

"Walt sounds like you Never had Permission to run on that lake. Private property is Not open to all...."

People just don't get this noise problem around here!

Just because you can run in your backyard as loud as you like,

doesen't mean everyone can without reprocussions.

The less places to test,the less boaters we'll have.

You want this hobby to grow,you need more interest.

Just ask all the guys up in Grand Rapids Mi.who used to race.

They were kicked out of just about everywhere to test because of noise.

THEY ALL QUIT.

That's what the truth is.

Lets quiet down!

Joe,

The pond IS open to all.It's public pond from Amway.The Amway folks just about rebuilt Grand Rapids Mi.also Holland and some of the surrounding areas.They have done incredable things for the people and towns around.

And we weren't chased away by anyone from Amway or affiliated with Amway in any way.Just people just like us that don't like the NOISE when there enjoying a sunset,canoeing,fishing or just bird watching at the pond.

Mark,

Walt,

Mark,

Great!

AhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhHAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Dexter Yaegers bunch! Mr Yaeger is from Charlotte, NC. Another one of our ever growing Claims to Fame in these parts right along with Jim Baaker and George "The Scam Man" Shinn. The Amway bunch just wants you out because they are a bored bunch of lonely people that have nothing better to do than try to make money off of others efforts and aggrevate the **** out of anybody that they think they can. They want you off of the pond because it's their pond and they can do nothing with it if they want to, as long as nobody has any fun on or around it, they are happy!
Scott,

I think you must be mistaken.

Amway origionated in Grand Rapids Mi.

The owners and CEOs are Richard DeVoss and the late Jay VanAndel.

There families reside in Holland Mi.

and AMWAY DOES NOT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH US.

Its the others who also enjoy the pond.

Joe.. lol

I have an answer.. I was not told we were over by anybody.. ..O joe...your my first... aha..oooo... On that same note O mighty demon of the motor scooter our goal is quieter RC boating in the future.. Lets face it.. Our company is somewhat new to the likes of the IMPBA and NAMBA.. Good news is we are trying.. TRYING TO GET NEW PEOPLE INTO THE HOBBY THAT WE ALL ENJOY... and you?

I keep seeing the same thing over and over.. I know others do to…

The ones that have been fighting the noise rule are the same guys OVER AND OVER AND OVER again.

Now.. when its all said and done...I suspect that we may lose a few racers up front…shame..shame…, but through better and quieter model boating we will GAIN MANY MANY MORE..

RC boat racing is going to get quieter... some are going to follow and others will step aside. Your going to have to pick your direction..

Grimracer. AKA. King Speed boat guy…

"Walt sounds like you Never had Permission to run on that lake. Private property is Not open to all...."

People just don't get this noise problem around here!

Just because you can run in your backyard as loud as you like,

doesen't mean everyone can without reprocussions.

The less places to test,the less boaters we'll have.

You want this hobby to grow,you need more interest.

Just ask all the guys up in Grand Rapids Mi.who used to race.

They were kicked out of just about everywhere to test because of noise.

THEY ALL QUIT.

That's what the truth is.

Lets quiet down!

Joe,

The pond IS open to all.It's public pond from Amway.The Amway folks just about rebuilt Grand Rapids Mi.also Holland and some of the surrounding areas.They have done incredable things for the people and towns around.

And we weren't chased away by anyone from Amway or affiliated with Amway in any way.Just people just like us that don't like the NOISE when there enjoying a sunset,canoeing,fishing or just bird watching at the pond.

Mark,

Walt,

Mark,

Great!

Scott,

I think you must be mistaken.

Amway was built and is from Grand Rapids Mi.

The owners and CEOs are Richard DeVoss and Jay VanAndel.

We had a same proble with a local pond, tree huggers bitching....... We Had No premission to run there anyway....... I found out who was in charge of the lake & called to explained the problems we were having with the tree huggers. & ask for a time frame for Us to R/C boat @ this lake without being ask to leave by the naturalist..... & police. Found out it was a Green Belt park lake that takes funding from the state. We got a few names, Ask & were granted Permission to run there as much as wanted...... No problem Now.....

Scott,I think you must be mistaken.

Amway origionated in Grand Rapids Mi.

The owners and CEOs are Richard DeVoss and the late Jay VanAndel.

There families reside in Holland Mi.

Sorry, I stand corrected. Yaeger is our local Multi Billionaire land scrounging problem. Good luck with the Tree Huggers.

Joe.. lol

I have an answer.. I was not told we were over by anybody.. ..O joe...your my first... aha..oooo... On that same note O mighty demon of the motor scooter our goal is quieter RC boating in the future.. Lets face it.. Our company is somewhat new to the likes of the IMPBA and NAMBA.. Good news is we are trying.. TRYING TO GET NEW PEOPLE INTO THE HOBBY THAT WE ALL ENJOY... and you?

The ones that have been fighting the noise rule are the same guys OVER AND OVER AND OVER again.

Now.. when its all said and done...I suspect that we may lose a few racers up front…shame..shame…, but through better and quieter model boating we will GAIN MANY MANY MORE..

RC boat racing is going to get quieter... some are going to follow and others will step aside. Your going to have to pick your direction..

Ole Mighty Grim..... I was Not warned or DQ`ed @ the Nats for DB. All of your King Speed boats were Over 95. That is My point....... Rose Crowther & I both stood @ the meters the 1st heat race. She too wonder WHY you guys were allowed to run....... You Busted the meter @ 96 MAny Times. NOT ME....... Get the Facts...... :lol:

Joe.. lol

Ole Mighty Grim..... I was Not warned or DQ`ed @ the Nats for DB. All of your King Speed boats were Over 95. That is My point....... Rose Crowther & I both stood @ the meters the 1st heat race. She too wonder WHY you guys were allowed to run....... You Busted the meter @ 96 MAny Times. NOT ME....... Get the Facts...... :lol:
Well Joe heres the answer,the Aqua Challenge was not an official part of the nats. It was something we did to help promote a new rtr boat. I know most of us will never buy one of these but they were fun to run. Face it,it was not listed as a class and no fees were paid to race in it. Oh and yes we got sponsorship money and 2 boats for doing it.....Mike

Joe,

If we were over why did you not tell us... hum.. O yea because im sure it was the job of the CD to do so.. if thats the case.... why is it that you were standing by the meter.. Hum.... maybe you were double secret DB meter man police... Hummmmmm

Could be.....

This is fun

Grim out...

O yea.. Mikey.. we had a great time at the Internats this summer.. Thanks for all you do.. I mean it too..

Grim out

MIKE, Aquacraft...... Not a legal boat? the boat fits & conforms as A hydro, Not a class? Well then, you can bet your ass if one would have came out of the water & hit someone??? Somone would have been explaining how it happened to the IMPBA Insurance Company.. If you are saying it was a Special event????? Well Twins were Special events class before this year 2006 & we too fell under the current IMPBA insurance & the 95 Db rule..... Also, Whoever??? went out to retrive the Wild Aquacrater boat Needs to read the CURRENT RULE BOOK. These guys did what ever they wanted @ the nats event. Entering the water With a retrival boat While another Boat was running wild on the lake & Busting the Db Limit Ever time they hit the water. I did make Zuber aware of the Db limit being exceeded on 1st day I seen it.... I`am very surprised that Grim & Mark Do not know what the limit of there product is...... Mike if you guys needed more $$$$ You sould have passed the hat around the pits & Not allowed this CRAP...... Other Sponsors supported the event also & were not On the lake promoting their product on IMPBA`s dime.....

Latest posts

Back