Interesting prop study

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what a can of worms I have opened....

Naw, not a can of worms Anthoney. :) Really just an issue of misunderstanding.

I have used Frank's gage (a few times) and I used Huhgey's gage ( for 19 years) and I have the Original Wood gage (used almost everyday for the last 9 years) that I helped improve from the Huhgey gage.

One thing I know for sure and that is they all use the same mathematics to achive the end result. However, three users will get three different results.

One other thing I know as surely as the Sun came up this morning is that it absolutley IMPOSSIBLE to detect a cup of 8.18" on the Woods gage. Even claiming 8.1" or 8.2" requires a great amount of skill and very good eyes. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
If the front wheels of your car are turning 30 mph and the rear wheels are turning 60 mph fow fast is the car going?

If the front wheels of your car are turning 30 mph and the rear wheels are turning 60 mph fow fast is the car going?

Could be going anywhere betwen 30 and 60, right Mike? Prop works the same way, right? ;)

They key to a great prop and car is to get the front and rear working together....correct Mike? :)

Depends on whether the front wheels are off the ground or not Mike :lol: :lol: :lol: I think I know what you are hinting at here and if it's "T/E pitch isn't everything" then I agree - seen it myself a lot recently with the 21 rigger.

I've got one of Frank's guages and all of the cupped props I have purchased have read exactly as advertised @ 70%. I really only use the guage as a B.S. detector - "propology" is beyond me :p

Last edited by a moderator:
On the subject of props , what ever happened to the stainless versions of the H series props ? Also has anyone experienced props bending from use even after heat treating . I have bent a set of H-48's and H -667's on my Twin with Mac 84's . These cuts seem to be very weak at the root of the blade at the hub . Both times the water was rough and the boat was loading and unloading as it came out of the water .

Tom,

Some of the ABC Stainless Steel propellers are still available. As far as your heat treating

the propellers,sometimes you just get them too thin and they will bend no matter what.

Twins can be tough on propellers, and the constant loading and unloading is what really

hurts the blades. We have even bent up Stainless Steel propellers on our 21 S.A.W. boat.

On the twin sets, try not thinning the blades as much and just put a sharp edge on them.

Good Luck Testing,

Mark Sholund

There is an article explaining propeller pitch and rake along with the various ways to measure it in the December 2005 NAMBA Propwash, available on line at www.namba.com. Included are pictures of various pitch and rake gages, including types used on full sized propellers. The article doesn't go into the math of pitch measurement, only the concepts. The Mercury web site is also referenced.

Lohring Miller

More good reading . Shows you how long I have been running my old Little Red Wagon the Extreme 80 twin that has been running the VAC 91 engines since the MAC 84 became unavailable. I will go back to 80's if I run out of VAC 91 parts and save a bunch of weight . Pic for attention.

Attachments

• 20230119_181505.jpg
    8.5 MB · Views: 0
Back