Beware of splashed Lynx

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tnrcboatracer

Supporting Member
It has been brought to my attention that there is a splashed copy of the Lynx being sold as the original. The only authorized maker of the Lynx is Cajun Model Boat Works (me). I have the original molds, templates, and Jigs from Carl Van Houten who designed and originally manufactured the Lynx. Anything else of recent manufacture is a splashed copy. I continue to receive information about the forgery, and if I suspect a person was involved, I simply will not sell to them. I took on the task to make these hulls because I wanted to make them available again, not as a commercial business. This community is too small not to know what is going on out there. To the folks that are copying the Lynx and selling it as an original, I can't stop you from doing that. But I can make everyone aware. I share in the responsibility, as I have not made the original available in sufficient quantity to keep the forgery market at bay. But selling a splashed boat that is called a Lynx is morally wrong, if not illegal. But since you are already a cheat and have very few morals, I don't expect this note to bother you. I will just inform the folks out there that would buy a Lynx to be careful. There are very few if any virgin hulls available. The original hulls were vinyl ester. All new hulls are epoxy. My hulls have a S/N laminated into the hull floor under the fuel tank.

Since I undertook this venture almost 1 year ago, I have had several setbacks to bring this outstanding hull to market. No excuses, just information. My life took a dump which has prevented me from giving the project the time it required. I am now redoubling my efforts to get this project off the ground. I have over $8k invested in this venture, and am not about to give up. I'm not sure that I will ever break even. I have taken orders, but not asked for any funds until the customers hull is ready to ship. Those that I have talked to about motors or other swaps are on the order list with full credit for their deposit. In some cases I have paid for the swap at the customer's request or in response to an order cancellation.

I am fully aware that I am very far behind in what I had intended to do. But I have not given up. The basic material concept of the Lynx has changed from Vinyl ester laminate to epoxy. This was a far bigger challenge than I had anticipated. That change alone took over 4 months to work out the bugs before I was satisfied with the result. I have experimented with a Kevlar/CF hull as one of the long owed customer really wanted that, and I planned to accomodate him before going into general production. But the biggest issue was something in my personal life that I will not go into. Suffice to say it was far bigger than R/C boating, and had to be my number 1 priority. This issue was finally resolved in the last month, and I am once again able to put time towards this project.

The Lynx is now exclusively Epoxy glass/CF with a very few Kevlar/CF epoxy hulls made to special order. I thank everyone for their patience. If you have placed an order, I have it on a master list (along with your boats S/N), and you should be hearing from me before the end of the year. I again apologize for the delay, and will do my best to satify the demand out there. But I must warn you of an imposter that has popped up in the market. Please be careful, and don't be fooled.

UPDATE:

I am now prepared to identify the splasher. I have received independent verification of the relationship between Bob Cormier (Evolution Hobbies) and Craig Tokarski (Hi-Tech Marine Hobbies). Craig has splashed a Lynx and is making them with Bob selling them through his Evolution Hobbies, and perhaps other channels. Bob is not the innocent victim he purported himself to be in the radio box thread. He was marketing the hulls as a true Lynx and directed folks to Craig as the manufacturer. Both of those names should be familiar to folks familiar with another one of our other favorite folks on here. The 4 hulls already sold by Bob and the 'virgin' one he has for himself are all copies. They do not have the proper internal structure that makes the Lynx stable at high speeds. They are simply 2 shells that are glued together. Though I don't know the exact manufacturing method employed, I seriously doubt that the haves are jig bonded the way a Lynx is.

Please beware of both of these individuals, as I am hearing of deals gone bad and $$$ lost. Deal with them if you choose, I can't stop you or them. But be aware of the type of folks you are dealing with. When asking for support from me for your Lynx, I will ask for the serial number or photos if you are not on my order list. It is my choice who I do business with. If anyone has a question on how to identify a true Lynx PM me, and after I am satisfied that you are who you say you are, I'll tell you what to look for.

Enough said. And no Bob, I will not sell you a true Lynx.

Jon Thibodeau

Cajun Model Boat Works

Hixson, TN.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jon , thanks for that info I didnt know that and Im actually looking into another LYNX at the moment to buy . its really between the LYNX and the New AQUACRAFT hull from Tower , how long is it for a LYNX to be made and sent out?? And how do i ORDER one if the time scale sounds good..Cheers Baz

jon you sound like an honest&sincere guy to write a reply like that, i wish all the manufactures had the attitude you have, good luck in your venture. john virgalla

I hope to be caught up on current orders by mid to late January, but I thought that way before. I will not take any additional orders until the current ones are close to caught up.

The VS1 is an excellent hull for sport 21 tunnel. The Lynx may be better suited for mod tunnel with a piped NR, CMB, or MAC power head and Lawless foot. In fact, the Lynx was designed around the Lawless 3.5 foot for proper prop placement.

If you are just getting started into tunnels, a sport 21 with an OS, K&B, or TT motor may be better for you. If you want the absolutely fastest 21 tunnel out there (70+ mph potential), then look at the Lynx.

jon, regardless of the lynx, i'm glad to hear that your other issues are resolved :) .

OK, so without going into any big details, how can this Splasher be found? Is he unloading on eBay or some other site that we'd all know?

Any bidders should ask what the S/N is before bidding so it can be traced back to the original owner to see if it's real or a splash.

I don't know if Carl used a S/N on his vinyl ester boats. If there is any doubt as to the authenticity, and you are in the presence of the hull, shake it. You will hear the blue or pink foam in the sponsons. Both Carl and I installed the foam, as the boat structure does not allow foam to be added after assembly. There are other easily seen details, but I am reluctant to describe them as then the splasher will have info to copy them. Suffice to say, if the fuel tank well is not cut out on a new hull, it is a copy. There are other details that allow identification if you can get a closeup pic of the fuel tank well looking forward and rearward.

I haven't seen them on eBay yet. So far it appears to be through direct cash sales to unsuspecting folks. The copies are also available in full Carbon layup, which I will never make for some design reasons. So if it is listed as a CF hull, it is a copy; and probably a high $$ one.

Jon,

This eve when I get home from work, I'll shoot a pic of the inside of the fuel tank area in my Lynx and Shaman for all to see.

Both of my boats were built by Carl and the pics should be a good indication which hull you have.

And if your boat is Kevlar and Carbon, it's NOT a real Lynx. If I'm not mistaken, none have been built yet.

They're in process now.

the real McCoy

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=592

Jon,
This eve when I get home from work, I'll shoot a pic of the inside of the fuel tank area in my Lynx and Shaman for all to see.

Both of my boats were built by Carl and the pics should be a good indication which hull you have.

And if your boat is Kevlar and Carbon, it's NOT a real Lynx. If I'm not mistaken, none have been built yet.

They're in process now.

the real McCoy

Walt, yours will be the first Kevlar hull that I have delivered, and the second I have made. The first was destroyed in a strength test. You won't be able to see much of the CF reinforcement. It is in area's that matter, and aren't seen.

Actually, Walt, I'd rather you not post any more pics of those design details for now. There is already enough info out there. I'm working on protecting my position now, and will address this topic again when appropriate. If anyone has a question about their hull, they can PM me, and I will answer. As far as I have been able to determine, there are only a very few copies in circulation, as they just came out a few months ago. I'll go into more detail once I've completed a few tasks.

And yes, Walt's boat is genuine. I can see it in his pics.

Jon,

They're in process now.

the real McCoy

Walt, yours will be the first Kevlar hull that I have delivered, and the second I have made. The first was destroyed in a strength test. You won't be able to see much of the CF reinforcement. It is in area's that matter, and aren't seen.

Actually, Walt, I'd rather you not post any more pics of those design details for now. There is already enough info out there. I'm working on protecting my position now, and will address this topic again when appropriate. If anyone has a question about their hull, they can PM me, and I will answer. As far as I have been able to determine, there are only a very few copies in circulation, as they just came out a few months ago. I'll go into more detail once I've completed a few tasks.

And yes, Walt's boat is genuine. I can see it in his pics.

Jon,

I respect your wishes. No more pics will be posted.

And my Lynx has a radio box too :D

So if it is listed as a CF hull, it is a copy; and probably a high $$ one.

Is this true with boat's that came from carl? A friend of mine got a new Lynx last year and and the guy that said he was a friend of Carls. it was layed up with carbon fiber with a proto type cowl. the person said the boat was a few years old and never finnished?

Heres a few pictures
oh dang the lynx that sold on e-bay for 900.00 just surfaced ive been looking for this boat for a year so tell us jon is it fake your the expert on lynx not us racers.heres a test for you jon name these tunnels.

Heres a few pictures
That boat does appear to be an original from Carl. The air ducts on the cowl are custom, though. Great looking boat. But as I said, I'm not aware of any ever being made from CF. Maybe it has CF reinforcement, but not full CF. Email me a pic of the inside of the fuel tank well (w/o tank)radio box and we can discuss further via email.

Socco, No need to get upset or personal. As I stated, the boat in Terry's pics appears to be is a genuine Lynx. I have never claimed to be an expert on all tunnels. But when it comes to the Lynx, I think I know what I'm talking about. What makes a Lynx the boat it is, is not it's appearance; it is how it is built. That's why I keep saying I need to see a pic on the fuel tank well interior. Heck someone could make a cheap copy of one from the original molds. That technically wouldn't be a splash, but it would be an inferior product. But then again, maybe I'm all wrong. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. I just want to be sure that the folks interested in the Lynx know that there is a cheap copy out there being marketed as the original.

Socco, No neede to get upset or personal. As I stated, the boat in Terry's pics appears to be is a genuine Lynx. I have never claimed to be an expert on all tunnels. But when it comes to the Lynx, I think I know what I'm talking about. What makes a Lynx the boat it is, is not it's appearance; it is how it is built. That's why I keep saying I need to see a pic on the fuel tank well interior. Heck someone could make a cheap copy of one from the original molds. That technically wouldn't be a splash, but it would be an inferior product. But then again, maybe I'm all wrong. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. I just want to be sure that the folks interested in the Lynx know that there is a cheap copy out there being marketed as the original.
At least you can get the cheap ones..... :rolleyes:

Socco, No neede to get upset or personal. As I stated, the boat in Terry's pics appears to be is a genuine Lynx. I have never claimed to be an expert on all tunnels. But when it comes to the Lynx, I think I know what I'm talking about. What makes a Lynx the boat it is, is not it's appearance; it is how it is built. That's why I keep saying I need to see a pic on the fuel tank well interior. Heck someone could make a cheap copy of one from the original molds. That technically wouldn't be a splash, but it would be an inferior product. But then again, maybe I'm all wrong. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. I just want to be sure that the folks interested in the Lynx know that there is a cheap copy out there being marketed as the original.
At least you can get the cheap ones..... :rolleyes:

EXACTLY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back