Whiplash build pictures

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rodney, do me favor pls...take a pic of whiplash with vegas cowling on it...i'm in the process of buildin' whiplash too...thaks.

jul

Rodney, do me favor pls...take a pic of whiplash with vegas cowling on it...i'm in the process of buildin' whiplash too...thaks.
jul
Hey man, i will do that tomorrow if I remember to take the whiplash cowl with me. Its at my buddy martys house right now. Will do my best to remember tomorrow tho for you pal.

I have a question fellas. My fuel lines are damned close to the header/pipe. I mean, if I dont ziptie it to the exhaust coupler (only option) then it will be resting on the header. I was wondering how close is too close? Also, will the exhaust header melt the fuel tubing? Last thing I want is a fire in my new whip. :eek:

I have a question fellas. My fuel lines are damned close to the header/pipe. I mean, if I dont ziptie it to the exhaust coupler (only option) then it will be resting on the header. I was wondering how close is too close? Also, will the exhaust header melt the fuel tubing? Last thing I want is a fire in my new whip. :eek:

Of course you dont want to have the fuel line resting on the header or pipe. Keep it tied to something else (motor mount/etc). In an ideal world you wouldnt want to run the fuel lines to anything that is hot. ;)

Larry Jr.

well, got it in primer as of now. I ended up trashing the cowl, as it wasnt up to par with my liking, so im going to order one from brian I think. Anyhow, waiting for it to dry, then going to wetsand it, and prime again probably. Anyhow, here are the pics:

whiplash_in_primer_004.jpg

whiplash_in_primer_006.jpg

whiplash_in_primer_011.jpg

whiplash_in_primer_012.jpg

whiplash_in_primer_014.jpg

well, i was asked to get a few pics of the whip with the vegas cowl, so here they are. Also, its got 3 coats of red paint on it, next step is the gray that im planning on, then the clear.

whiplash_in_paint_002.jpg

whiplash_in_paint_003.jpg

whiplash_in_paint_004.jpg

whiplash_in_paint_005.jpg

First Coat

whiplash_in_paint_008.jpg

Second Coat

whiplash_in_paint_018.jpg

Third Coat

whiplash_in_paint_021.jpg

Hey Rod,
thanks much for showing the pics with vegas cowling...what u think bout it?
It would take quite abit of fitting, but honestly, I think it would look pretty good on there once it was all fitted. If yah find 2 of em, toss me one and I will give it a try :lol:

Hey Rod,
It would take quite abit of fitting, but honestly, I think it would look pretty good on there once it was all fitted. If yah find 2 of em, toss me one and I will give it a try :lol:
Tower Hobbies has the Miss Vegas cowlings listed (limited quantity last time I looked).

Hey Rod,
Tower Hobbies has the Miss Vegas cowlings listed (limited quantity last time I looked).

Rod, looks good for me if properly fitted as what u said..the only thing is kinda bulky lookin' coz i'm used to see it with the Brian's cowling....

waiting to see it runnin'

jul

got the rest of the paint on it today, and clear coated. Whada yah think, not to shabby. Not perfect, but looks nice enough for me :p

whiplash_in_paint_023.jpg

whiplash_in_paint_026.jpg

What type and brand of paint do you use? What kind of primer? Do you wet sand between primer coats?

well guys , my whiplash is a goner. Attempted to run it today, and no go! Couldnt get it to run at all, not the boats fault, but a motor/pipe/fuel supply issue. Well it went dead in the water a few times, and the god forsaken epoxy I used didnt hold up at all. I epoxy sealed EVERYTHING, but ever seam on the boat is coming apart. I might have gotten a bad batch or something, because me and Marty slater, mike larson, all of us use this same stuff, and this is the first time it has happened. Bummer but oh well, the parts will go onto a new boat. Its not worth it to me right now to reglue EVERY seam on the boat! Its a great looking boat, and the best, most solid kit I have ever seen, congrats on a GREAT kit brian! evryone have fun with them, very nice looking boats.

**** man sorry to about your troubles . What type epoxy did you use ?

Ed

Last edited by a moderator:
**** man sorry to about your troubles . What type epoxy did you use ?
Ed
ed, its from teh local hobby shop, umm, Bob Smith Industrys makes it. Not sure what the deal was, thought maybe nitro got in there and ate the epoxy, as some of it seemed gummy, but the foam in the sponsons was just fine. This tells you how bad it was split, both sides of the sponson sheeting, bottom sheeting, all the sheeting pretty much, lower sponson inside pads, all of it. Anyhow, its OK Will get another sport 20 boat. Thinking of transfering the stuff to a miss vegas hull. Ran mine today, and man o man am I impressed with the way the Vegas handled the waves! We had some good chop, probably 20 mph wind gusts, and it was no problem for the vegas, didnt get flighty once............ I know its not a phil thomas boat or anything, but i cant afford one of them at the time being, even tho they are DAMNED nice boats!

Rodney

I have used allot of different epoxies. The only one I use know is west systems 105 epoxy, 206 hardener and 406 colloidal silica. You have to add is some of the 406 colloidal silica because this epoxy is very thin.

Just wanted to let you know that I think this is the way to go with epoxy.

BigBryon

Rod , Others chim in , I remember reading some where that some epoxies aren't even water proof mind fuel resistant .

I know this doesn't fix your problem.

Ed

Back