Want to build and or buy a Twin rigger

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beau Parsons

Hello all Twin rigger owners,

I have been pondering building a twin/buying a new boat in the near future and want to know who is building these boats, where to get available parts, pipes and motors with readily available parts. This would be my first Twin attempt so I want something fast but reliable as well. I am not ready to buy at the moment I just want to resource all my options and make the best decision so when I am ready I have the knowledge to make a good buy on a new twin boat. Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Beau Parsons

andy brown CDMI racing looks like you have a 45 eagle . there sweet im doing a twin ops 90 and i have a mac 67 sgx crapshooters are good and the jags are to but i like the eagles . man keep a eye out or put the word out and you can find a great deal hear later Charlie in Alaska

Last edited by a moderator:
when it comes to twins. there is the following

crapshooter ( very very hard to get if at all )

jaguar ( bob does great work. very good boats.. but again i don't know how many he is doing at the moment due to other commitments )

roadrunner ( very popular.. very good boats. i think ralph has them readily available. if not i think he can build them fairly quickly.. joe warren is the road runner man he would know more than me )

eagle sgx.. again.. good boats.. andy is gearing up so they might be easier to get ahold of then in the past.

i think but not sure mike hallam in canada builds a cobra twin.. you would have to check with him.. i havn't seen any run so i have no opinons on them.

that's pretty much it other than building one. i have said it before.. ALL are good boats.. it all comes down to props and time spent at the lake

one thing to keep in mind though. MOTORS. some boats the BIG motors like 101's are not designed for.. crapshooters i know as i have one they won't fit. not sure about the eagle sgx. so that is something to keep in mind as you try to decide what you want.

good luck

chris

Chris got it perfect..These are definetly the 4 top twins that are running in todays big races around the US..Welcome to the big show!!!!

I have to say that my Roadrunner Extreme 80 - Gen 1 with 80's originally and now VAC 91's is truly an amazing boat . tough as they come , handles all water great and is also very fast . turns like a Group 7 slot Car ! If i bought a new one from Ralph I would order this same boat , it does everything well . Lots of great boats out there but for me they have to survive hard aggressive driving and brutal crashes !!

Have you had a chance to look at the jae 45 twin plans that david hall has sent me?

Last edited:
Hugh

I am not a believer of the Jae yet, I think there design is good but needs some improvements, ( no affense to anyone, just my opinion). I really love my .45 Eagle SGX2 and would love a Twin SGX but the price tag is sure to stop a old mans beating heart. LOL. At the moment I am just researching my options to see what would suit my needs. I am wanting to build/buy a new .67 or maybe bigger size boat in the near future.

Beau

Can a 45 twin be competitve against the .80 and up twin riggers?

A 45 twin is legal in the twin class, correct?

Hugh

I am not a believer of the Jae yet, I think there design is good but needs some improvements, ( no affense to anyone, just my opinion). I really love my .45 Eagle SGX2 and would love a Twin SGX but the price tag is sure to stop a old mans beating heart. LOL. At the moment I am just researching my options to see what would suit my needs. I am wanting to build/buy a new .67 or maybe bigger size boat in the near future.

Beau
Yes if you have the $$$$$flow an eagle would be my pic too. For the price I think a JAE will be hard to beat.

The roadrunner seems to be one you can easily get your hands on and they run well.

Beau:

All the suggestion of the best boats are good suggestions.

BUT, the thing that should guide you is the cost of the twin, engines, hardware, etc.

THEN the cost of fuel, plugs, maintenance, etc. If you don't have a good budget, forget the twin. It will not be fun for you without enough $$$ to support it. Imagine going to the pond to test and using 2 gallons easily. $100. A few plugs too.....

Just not the boat for someone that does not have a good budget = $$$$

Beau,

I have been reading these comments and would say the cost is something to consider among everything else. I have working on my Mongoose Twin this winter and plan on test running it this summer. I have had the boat stay running on minimal occations. The primary problem I have had is with the left motor quiting. As best I can figure the left motor is taking on water running some Picco motors in the boat. So starting this year I have enclosed the engine compartment by covering the area with a custom built cowl that I have built that is almost ready for primer. I plan on starting off with a set of 67 Mac motors to keep from the left motor taking on water.

The list of challenges can go on and on such as the Picco carbs sticking when over heating, vibaration causing things to shake loose, and various other issues. I have taken on the boats I race that make a class as the most important and then the Twin if I have time. So this winter I saved time to work on the Twin by not buying any boats and have about 1-month left to get the 67 Mac motor mounts setup installed with the 3rd channel remote needles that I installed earlier this winter for the Picco 90 setup.

So some day join join me at the lake Twin and all I can teach you a little or alot more about what I have learned concerning Twins from talking with others at the Nats and IW as well as from personal experience.

Brad

Thanks for all of you that responded, I have received some great information on the possible purchase of a Twin Rigger. It seems like the only issue is the ability to get a boat hull. When I am ready I will probably purchase a boat that I can get in sufficient time frame. The only boat that seems to be in my grasp is a Roadrunner, the rest of the manafactures are all behind, on backlog, or just plain out of reach.

Thanks all Beau

Beau;

regardless for what boat you get there all good running Twins but another thing you have to look at like Marty said $$$ you will spend a few grand going into this class. if you buy everything new it would cost you more.

I opinion if you are going to buy one buy everything new nothing thats second hand or that has been used like

servos,tanks,drive shafts,Twin Boat,engines,headers,Pipes,receiver Needle valves,push-rods,receiver etc etc etc. Like that you know 100% with out a doubt that everything is new right out of the box. rumor has it a 101RS Twin will cost you towards the upper 4-5 grand thats everything new thats what i hear.. any Twin hydro with 80/90 will be in the mid 3-4 grand thats everything new also so thats a price and things to consider so i would make sure that it fits your budget and also you might want to have spare boom tubes,sponsons,cowling receivers,servos props and the list goes on.. its a lot of money thats like going from Super Comp to TOP FUEL (NHRA example)

Last edited:
Can a 45 twin be competitve against the .80 and up twin riggers?

A 45 twin is legal in the twin class, correct?
I am sure the speed will be there , may even be faster, but not sure if they will be able to handle the rougher water like the bigger boats , time will tell.

Tim K

Back