Slingshot inspired twin rigger

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some progress update: mold for the turn fin is ready and have laminated a curved sheet.
Turns out super stiff, but required quite some layers: 2 300 grams twill, 6 300 grans bi-directional, for a total thickness of 2.5 mm. The weight is even more amazining: have an inox one that weighs 162 gram, a Randy titanium that weighs 90 gram and then the carbon is only 45 grams! A little voice in me says can't be true, but it is really.

Attachments

• turnfin3aa.jpg
    turnfin3aa.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 64
  • turnfin 10.jpg
    turnfin 10.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 64
  • turnfin-3b.jpg
    turnfin-3b.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 58
  • turnfin-4.jpg
    turnfin-4.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 54
  • turnfin7.jpg
    turnfin7.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 54
  • turnfin8.jpg
    turnfin8.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 51
Also made an effort for tanks. Top will be CF, the bottom just glass. This as laminating without vacuum is quite hard on thick carbon weaves and the cloth is expensive. So I save efforts and $$ on other, visible, things. Anyhow here are the pics.

Attachments

• tank-1.jpg
    tank-1.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 23
  • tank-2.jpg
    tank-2.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 25
  • tank-3a.jpg
    tank-3a.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 25
Some more, albeit slow progress. Tank halves are now ready. In the end decided for full carbon as a small part of the bottom half would show behind the booms, ruining the complete looks. A small effort and $$ investment now will pay off later (The white you see in the picture is just tape holding both halves together).
Not 100% sure how I will do the internal piping of the tanks: Traditional clunk and gas stopper (for gas boats at least), or the way the SS rigger tanks are build up with solid piping and may be a nice connection.
And than with tanks, booms and engines (these are also finally cleaned and assembled) it suddenly starts to look as a project that will actually be finished before spring! Still many, many, many things to do, but the heavy lifting base things, that are a slight bit out of my comfort zone, are now done.

Attachments

• tanks.jpg
    tanks.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 70
  • motor compartment.jpg
    motor compartment.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Thank you for the nice words. Yes lots of tape, though I only need access in 1 hatch and not all 6. There are 4 compartments ( like the titanic...) so hope it has enough bouoncy if something goes wrong.
I showed the underside painting, but also made a smaller deck logo.
And then finally not all goes right all the time: the rear sponsons have special 3d effect painting unfortunately.
So next goal is to work on front sponsons and a hood... I think I will make something Whiplash inspired...

Attachments

• SxS_logo2.jpg
    SxS_logo2.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 35
  • sponson druiper.jpg
    sponson druiper.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
So..... finally in a shape that I think the boat can be tried on water. After 4 months on intense building didn't fancy for some last minute nice to have, just want to get it on the water and make a spin...
So hood is a bit crude, sponsons in raw format (but spend like 5 minutes making something to stick to it)..
kunstof sponson08.jpgrigger.jpgrigger2.jpgrigger3.jpg

Back