VS-1 Photos

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mikes right..

My builders were.

Myself

Big Bryon

and

Steve Langley (none of you guys know him but he worked Thursdays at Power Surge Racing.. sometimes you could catch him on the shop cam)

I also had a few other guys help out from time to time.

The new boats are also hand built by a select few.. The factory hand selects the wood and the workers that build the boats are the best in the company.

The new boat is JUST like the old one with a few minor changes. Lighter formers, different woods and the like. The fuel tank is the same size as our old metal 7oz just longer.

The boat handles just like an old friend. My new one (the proto got cut in half in indy..ouch) is FANTASTIC.. and ready for the world champs. and I DO MEAN READY!

ROCK ON

Grim

Mine showed up today!!! In perfect condition no less.

I don't care where it's made, this boat is absolutely beautiful.

Now to go cut it up to make the battery box fit :D

Mikes right..
My builders were.

Myself

Big Bryon

and

Steve Langley (none of you guys know him but he worked Thursdays at Power Surge Racing.. sometimes you could catch him on the shop cam)

The new boats are also hand built by a select few.. The factory hand selects the wood and the workers that build the boats are the best in the company.

The new boat is JUST like the old one with a few minor changes. Lighter formers, different woods and the like. The fuel tank is the same size as our old metal 7oz just longer.

The boat handles just like an old friend. My new one (the proto got cut in half in indy..ouch) is FANTASTIC.. and ready for the world champs. and I DO MEAN READY!

ROCK ON

Grim
Yea I remember when your boat got cut in half. It was a bad week end for Villians my cowl took a direct hit. Grim do you know if we will be able to by just the cowl any time in the near future?

Mikes right..
My builders were.

Myself

Big Bryon

and

ROCK ON

Grim
Yea I remember when your boat got cut in half. It was a bad week end for Villians my cowl took a direct hit. Grim do you know if we will be able to by just the cowl any time in the near future?
Need a cowl? meow. I think the new VS-1 will be perfect outa da box hate to but going to paint the decks orange just like my Castrol decals and all

The big brown toy truck dropped mine...er my sons off tonight. Guess that means I get my Woodstuff back. The boat looks every bit as nice as any of the originals that run in our club.

Larry

Got my new VS-1 yesterday, and it is absolutely OUTSTANDING! I couldn't be happier. The wait was worth it! I'm going to be ordering another right away. Hopefully Aquacraft will have the stock. To make room for the 2 new VS-1's, I'm going to give an old TS2 hull to one of the kids at the pond to help get him started into the hobby, and I'll be looking for a buyer for a nice LeeCraft hull...any LeeCraft enthusiasts out there?

I got most of the build completed today, and I did so just as directed by the user manual that came with the boat. The only thing I question is the "pull-pull" steering set-up. Although I went ahead and did install that, I think I may want to convert that to steel rod instead of the stock cable rigging. I'm anxious to hear feedback from others here in regards to other mods that you all feel might be beneficial, but again, I think the new VS-1 is absolutely outstanding!

Hea Cowboy.. hope you are well..
Yep.. cowls will be available very soon

Grim
Hea Grim all is good up here in your old stompin grounds......to cold and it is snowing already.....Glad we can buy cowls soon now all I need is paint. take care bud!!!

I'd like to replace the plastic pull-pull wheel in the VS-1 kit with one of the aluminum Hangar9 units. I think the Hangar9 part number that I'm looking for is HAN3514 which is the medium sized aluminum pull-pull wheel for a Futaba servo. If anyone knows where I can get these, PLEASE let me know. Thxs.

My VS1 arrived Wed, but I didn't get a chance to open it until today. Great job Grim, this boat rocks. I think I'm going to sand it smooth and get out the Klass Kote to make it more visible.

Pete..

The pull pull bottom half is plastic and comes in the kit.. the top half is the factory Futaba 35mm wheel. Reason I went this way was to get the superior spline indexing that the futaba wheel has with the futaba servo out put spline. Other wise you have to HOPE.. The one hanger 9 sells is splined deep enough to work on your servo.

Grim

i don't know if i've been lucky, or hangar 9 has gotten better, but all the wheels i've bought in the last year have been a good fit. both jr & futaba servos, 5 or 6 to date.

Well I received my VS1 on Friday, open the box man like everyone else the boat looks great. After I look at the instruction book, I was a little puzzle about having to use a razor blade to put 12 minute epoxy on bottom side of the hull seams that did not get seal during production. I always read the book before I pull the boat out of the box so I don't jump the gun. After closely inspecting my hull, I have five areas on the seams, bottom side and around the motor mount area that are not seal,what else has been miss that you cannot see. Only having instructions for OS what about K&B? Most boats talked about both. Two metal motor plates due to QA problems? Guess I'm glad it was caught. Don't get me wrong the boat looks good and will be a great boat to my collection of outbroads. But when I say the boat is ready to install all of the running equipment it's ready, I have read only the best in the business are allowed to put the VS1 together, the boat not water tight! Guess I will sand, seal and/or paint to the colors that I like. Have not check the bottom of the hull for flatness yet, will see how that looks and let you know. There lots of good instructions in the book if you don't know have to. I guess I donot trust a razor blade and expoxy to make the seams watertight (have you every missed getting the expoxy in a seam or it looks like you got it and it cracks out, oh my came this way) and just so everyone knows I have been building boats since 1977 for sport fun and racing with the local club off and on for fun. I enjoy building more then racing. I'm not a newbe to the hobby. Just my thoughts. I'm going to put a 3.5 K & B on her and see who can keep up. I'm a K & B type of guy, but have be thinking about a Lawless bottom end. My TS is fast has a mod 3.5 K&B will see if the VS has it in her to beat my TS.

did not have a problem with seal! had to adjust for k&b. will paint cowl later or just graffics. just want to run it! only reason i bought this combo was to run slower, or atleast run with the ts2, os combo. no fun running by yourself! :huh:

tim

ps this is a nice boat for the price, thanks grim!

Last edited by a moderator:
the vs-1 will be fine with a k&b. my understanding is that the original villain was designed for the k&b. since the vs-1 is a carbon copy of that hull, i see no issues. my original villains don't seem to like much, if any, set back. i'm using them in impba sport tunnel, running k&b's on stock lowers. tried different mounts ( a lot of 'em), & keeping the motor as close to the transom works the best for me. i use the motor mount plate out of the old prather style mounts. drill 4 holes in it, bolt to transom, & motor to the plate. that way i have minimal set back & height adjustment. for tilt, i shim the motor mount bolts. original instructions say .012" shim is 1/2 degree on a stock k&b ;) . roofing valley tin is just right! with this set up, the mount plate bolts through the transom don't need to be touched for adj. or motor r&r. seal 'em & forget 'em. i know everybody has their own tricks, this is just what works for me, & fits my driving & set up style. with more setback, it was harder for me to stay on the bouys, made the boat "squirrelly" in the turns. had to let off to set the boat entering a turn. without setback, hold 'er wot & carve the turns B) . jr.'s driving style is different than mine, he likes to "dirt track" 'em more. he agrees that keeping the motor close to the transom is better. he runs different props & heights than me, but didn't like more setback, either. more setback will also take more lead in the nose to compensate for it. lighter is better, free this hull up, it will reward you for doing so. hope this helps.

Well I received my VS1 on Friday, open the box man like everyone else the boat looks great. After I look at the instruction book, I was a little puzzle about having to use a razor blade to put 12 minute epoxy on bottom side of the hull seams that did not get seal during production. I always read the book before I pull the boat out of the box so I don't jump the gun. After closely inspecting my hull, I have five areas on the seams, bottom side and around the motor mount area that are not seal,what else has been miss that you cannot see. Only having instructions for OS what about K&B? Most boats talked about both. Two metal motor plates due to QA problems? Guess I'm glad it was caught. Don't get me wrong the boat looks good and will be a great boat to my collection of outbroads. But when I say the boat is ready to install all of the running equipment it's ready, I have read only the best in the business are allowed to put the VS1 together, the boat not water tight! Guess I will sand, seal and/or paint to the colors that I like. Have not check the bottom of the hull for flatness yet, will see how that looks and let you know. There lots of good instructions in the book if you don't know have to. I guess I donot trust a razor blade and expoxy to make the seams watertight (have you every missed getting the expoxy in a seam or it looks like you got it and it cracks out, oh my came this way) and just so everyone knows I have been building boats since 1977 for sport fun and racing with the local club off and on for fun. I enjoy building more then racing. I'm not a newbe to the hobby. Just my thoughts. I'm going to put a 3.5 K & B on her and see who can keep up. I'm a K & B type of guy, but have be thinking about a Lawless bottom end. My TS is fast has a mod 3.5 K&B will see if the VS has it in her to beat my TS.
CudaCuda,

Truth is you want to check ALL THE SEAMS top and bottom.. a razor blade minimizes the amount of excess epoxy. But use what method you like best.

K+B motors SUCK..........Just kidding... Because we sell OS.. nothing more then that. Most of the guys that buy this boat have a good idea how to hang a motor on the back. The info was more for the new guy.. and I understand your not......

Got to ask.. why would you question the new motor mount plate?

Also do you realy think we can control all the glue seams? Do you think it would be wise for me to just assume the builders are going to nail them all.. OR .. do you think it makes since to mention it in the manual.. Besides you said yourself you were a builder.. you should have a REAL good idea how to remedy this..

Please don’t miss read me Im very glad you are going to try a VS1. But you seem to have vented to some degree.. Remember this is the VERY FIRST ARR wood hull mass produced. It also comes with about the most complete manual for a PERFORMACE tunnel you can currently buy.

Also, let me state.. The VS1 is not for everybody.. if for some reason it does not fit what you feel your building and racing program is all about we understand this too... there are other good boats out there to chose from..

Good Luck and Good Racing

Grim

the vs-1 will be fine with a k&b. my understanding is that the original villain was designed for the k&b. since the vs-1 is a carbon copy of that hull, i see no issues. my original villains don't seem to like much, if any, set back. i'm using them in impba sport tunnel, running k&b's on stock lowers. tried different mounts ( a lot of 'em), & keeping the motor as close to the transom works the best for me. i use the motor mount plate out of the old prather style mounts. drill 4 holes in it, bolt to transom, & motor to the plate. that way i have minimal set back & height adjustment. for tilt, i shim the motor mount bolts. original instructions say .012" shim is 1/2 degree on a stock k&b ;) . roofing valley tin is just right! with this set up, the mount plate bolts through the transom don't need to be touched for adj. or motor r&r. seal 'em & forget 'em. i know everybody has their own tricks, this is just what works for me, & fits my driving & set up style. with more setback, it was harder for me to stay on the bouys, made the boat "squirrelly" in the turns. had to let off to set the boat entering a turn. without setback, hold 'er wot & carve the turns B) . jr.'s driving style is different than mine, he likes to "dirt track" 'em more. he agrees that keeping the motor close to the transom is better. he runs different props & heights than me, but didn't like more setback, either. more setback will also take more lead in the nose to compensate for it. lighter is better, free this hull up, it will reward you for doing so. hope this helps.

Hey thanks for the input I also use the old prather style mounts. I did not know the roof tin was .012 shim that is great. I'm not trying to knock the VS1 any, I'm just a little diappionted in the seams. The boat is great looking and I just did not want to have to the extra work, call me selfish, but oh well. I have always use K &B outboards, and some of the guys that I run with call me old fashion and ask why. I don't like change ;}. I did buy a Vegas love it, have two now one to mod, my first inboards after all of these years of racing. My son brought me a used Phil Thomas Sport 40 hull off of Ebay, I'm putting that together for nex year now. Looking forward to an inboard after are of these years. Speaking, my son in Tacoma right now on a fun run race with Jerry Dulap and the the Tacoma guys now. Have been thinking of jointing there club, been to couple of there races and they all have a A Good time. But any how thanks for the tips.

CudaCuda,

Truth is you want to check ALL THE SEAMS top and bottom.. a razor blade minimizes the amount of excess epoxy. But use what method you like best.

K+B motors SUCK..........Just kidding... Because we sell OS.. nothing more then that. Most of the guys that buy this boat have a good idea how to hang a motor on the back. The info was more for the new guy.. and I understand your not......

Got to ask.. why would you question the new motor mount plate?

Also do you realy think we can control all the glue seams? Do you think it would be wise for me to just assume the builders are going to nail them all.. OR .. do you think it makes since to mention it in the manual.. Besides you said yourself you were a builder.. you should have a REAL good idea how to remedy this..

Please don’t miss read me Im very glad you are going to try a VS1. But you seem to have vented to some degree.. Remember this is the VERY FIRST ARR wood hull mass produced. It also comes with about the most complete manual for a PERFORMACE tunnel you can currently buy.

Also, let me state.. The VS1 is not for everybody.. if for some reason it does not fit what you feel your building and racing program is all about we understand this too... there are other good boats out there to chose from..

Good Luck and Good Racing

Grim
Grim,

You are right it is the best insturctions I have seen in a long time on to how to put a hull together. It's just with all that I have read and how long the VS1 been tested, I just thought that it would be near perfect hull to start off with. Yes I know that everything we buy today needs to be check before we use it. But I was hoping to hang the motor and go. I like the parts bags, everythnig is there. I'm not trying to VENT or KNOCK the VS1, I'm looking forward to putting the VS1 in the water. It will be there within a couple of weeks. The question about the motor why two, or should I said the VS1 has been in testing for quite sometime now. I'm business owner myself and when we have a problem that comes up, our clients don't always know all of the details, they just get a good product they can use when it is pick-up and yes we have had our share of small issuses in our product line also. I know that this VS1 will not be for everyone, its lite should be FAST, so it will be fun to get set up and THANKS for POINTING out that they are other boats to choose from, my boat room are FULL of them ;}. Please gave me reasons why I should buy an OS over rebuilding and mod'ing my K &B's. There always room to teach an old dog new tricks.

Latest posts

Back