To Vee or Not to Vee a Carbon Fiber Sightler

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck Mason

OK, I found this boat for a fair deal on-line along with some interesting history but I am not sure of its authenticity, Defiantly would love some input, still, it’s a good story to tell. The man I got it from said He and his Buddy had raced the original fiberglass boat some time ago (a SIGHTLER Fiberglass boat?) where it was very fast and then for some reason the original boat was retired. It was then decided to reproduce the hull in carbon fiber. This is the only Carbon Fiber hull they made.

What I was able to find: Back in the late 70s-80s SIGHTLER (J. Neil Sightler) built some fast fiberglass hulls and this led to the fabrication of this Carbon Fiber copy. Sadly the engine broke on its maiden voyage but It came with a complete rebuild kit from Zenoah. The hardware assembly looks like some quality work was done during installation. As I said It was run once then was passed to me. That’s all the info I know. The boat is 55 inches long and 13.5 wide, with 5 1/8 wide stringers ran half the boat length, weight is less than 15 lbs.’ loaded with fuel. I don’t know to much about Arrow shark hardware or the stinger drive but what I have read about the Sightler boats perform much better with ¼ flex shaft and strut? Setup. I have everything to switch over to a single rudder, strut and ¼ stuffing tube. Please tell what you all think.. The 1st pictures are of the boat as it sits today and the following pictures are of some of the Sightler boats I was able to find online to compare. Regardless it will be fun to have two boats on the water very soon.
Sightler_008.jpeg Sightler_006.jpeg Sightler_009.jpeg Sightler_002.jpeg
Here are some that seem to have the same lines and Characteristics.
Sightler_01.jpg otherBoats_0005.jpg otherBoats_0004.jpg otherBoats_0003.jpg
otherBoats_0001.jpg Seeing how the Exauhst is tucked up inside I may go ahead an fab up a Cowling/Cockpit IDK yet. Getting it on the water with the rebuilt engine along with the SLR Thunderboat is the basic plan.

Best of luck on the mono. I know absolutely nothing about them. I’ve always run hydros. Our Club President, Mario Johnston just set a stock mono record last fall with his Zippkits mono. Maybe send him a PM if you have questions.

I think what i am going to be doing with this is Run the stew out of it, crash it in the bank, flip at least 10 times and learn how to drive some. All I know is that I have a Big azz smile on my face with way too many parts on the table.
Aint it FUN.

Chuck, those boats ran really good but the ones I have run sub surface drives. They were really good in the turns. A friend of mine have the 55 inch set up with surface drive and a 30.5 ,it wanted to hook in the turns, just adjust the rudder in or out and it should run good... then if you're still having trouble with it go for the bank or roll it a few times lol....
Michael

So I was able to get the blown Engine Out of the Mono and I am having some issue with the surface Drive unit.
I cant find what type it is or how to remove to check bushings and seals. I thought it was a SRD-V2 Stingray Drive from Arrow Shark.
1660172480001.png

BUT
It looks Different up close.
CarbonFibr_05.jpg
Can Anyone help ID this drive. Thanks Guys.

Latest posts

Back