turbine tube material

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:) Hello Don . Go to your local Airfield - not the toy one , and see who does B work - sheet metal repair to a/c . they will have all thickness's of high quality aluminum , you will pay more for it but it is worth the extra dollars . It will have a pure aluminum clading on it which will polish up to a mirror . Just make sure that you do it on a clean surface and put paper over the roller . It should come with a premask paper coating on it , which you peel off when your done . You should be able to get in 15 or 20 thou thickness . Scuff the part where you have the seam with scotch brite , wipe clean with acetone , use jb weld and you will have a nice bonded tube . Make sure you use some masking tape just outside the seam , in side and out , so you can wipe off the excess and not make a mess to the rest of the aluminum . Hope this helps , Geoff . :D :D :D

Propwash said:
:) Hello Don . Go to your local Airfield - not the toy one , and see who does B work - sheet metal repair to a/c . they will have all thickness's of high quality aluminum , you will pay more for it but it is worth the extra dollars . It will have a pure aluminum clading on it which will polish up to a mirror . Just make sure that you do it on a clean surface and put paper over the roller . It should come with a premask paper coating on it , which you peel off when your done . You should be able to get in 15 or 20 thou thickness . Scuff the part where you have the seam with scotch brite , wipe clean with acetone , use jb weld and you will have a nice bonded tube . Make sure you use some masking tape just outside the seam , in side and out , so you can wipe off the excess and not make a mess to the rest of the aluminum . Hope this helps , Geoff . :D :D :D
Awesome Geoff! Sounds like a trip to the airport would be worth looking into. :)

I can see the news headline now

"man arrested after removing panels from parked aircraft" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
TimD said:
I can see the news headline now"man arrested after removing panels from parked aircraft" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
...man heard saying to police "but officer, it's got that shine I was looking for" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don Ferrette said:
...man heard saying to police "but officer, it's got that shine I was looking for" :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Sources revealed the man was submitted for psychiatric assessment after he admitted that the part was required for a boat"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

TimD said:
Don Ferrette said:
...man heard saying to police "but officer, it's got that shine I was looking for"  :lol:   :lol:   :lol:
"Sources revealed the man was submitted for psychiatric assessment after he admitted that the part was required for a boat"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Sources later reveal commitment to local psychiatric ward recommended after it was discovered part was for a toy boat." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey Don if the airport thing doesn't work out,e-mail or call me, i have plenty of the aluminum. We discussed this very problem but it didn't turn out well when i tried it. If you make one for the Jeronimo we can call it even!!!!!!

hey don look for oh boy oberto peproni in 4 foot tubes this plastic is very strong and will withstand blow overs just get some crome vynil from sign shop cover inside and outside i arntee it will hod up nice i stood on a piece of it and it poped back into shape no creases note i weigh 195 lbs more than what your boat will due to it if you need to se how it looks check out winston and smokin joes boats on rcus website under our boats and i just found you package here my mom set it in the closet by mistake it was returned to me undeliverable had a typo in adress lol will send it out when i get back from alaska next week

don i got a good one for you. i just today got some of the matrial to do the turbine exshaust. i was a work and the guys who install the air ducts were throwing out stuff and i found the material that i needed in a 6" long and 4" in diameter piece of round stock. what i thik you can do is go to a home depot and ask for 4" round exshaust stock for duct instalation. the round duct will have a thick preformed outside and a very thin liner insde that is crimped on one end and open on the other. you will have to get a metal snips to cut the crimped end, when thats done the inside will come right out. it is shinny both inside and outside. o hope that helps

Lay26 said:
don i got a good one for you. i just today got some of the matrial to do the turbine exshaust. i was a work and the guys who install the air ducts were throwing out stuff and i found the material that i needed in a 6" long and 4" in diameter piece of round stock. what i thik you can do is go to a home depot and ask for 4" round exshaust stock for duct instalation. the round duct will have a thick preformed outside and a very thin liner insde that is crimped on one end and open on the other. you will have to get a metal snips to cut the crimped end, when thats done the inside will come right out. it is shinny both inside and outside. o hope that helps
I'll stop by Depot on the way home tomorrow & check it out. :)

Hello Donald,

what i thik you can do is go to a home depot and ask for 4" round exshaust stock for duct instalation. the round duct will have a thick preformed outside and a very thin liner insde that is crimped on one end and open on the other.
You would ask for Type-B Double-wall gas vent

I got some sheeting from ACE Hardware a while back.

Something else I used was Alloy 1100 Aluminum. It isn't tempered so it is formed easily. McMaster Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/asp/DisplCtlgPage.asp?ReqTyp=CATALOG&CtlgPgNbr=3360&CtlgEdition=&sesnextrep[/URL]][URL="http://www.mcmaster.com/asp/DisplCtlgPage.asp?ReqTyp=CATALOG&CtlgPgNbr=3360&CtlgEdition=&sesnextrep"]http://www.mcmaster.com/asp/DisplCtlgPage.asp?ReqTyp=CATALOG&CtlgPgNbr=3360&CtlgEdition=&sesnextrep[/URL] It's cheap. I don't know about shipping. The .032" stuff I have should work well.

Matbe even this. Aluminum jacketing

So what to do about a seem? Use two tubes, inner and outer. Roller the outer tube so the seem is at the bottom. Don't overlap just butt them together. Roll the inner tube with seem at the top. Butted as well. Insert the inner tube and depending on how well you rolled and butted the material you will never know. The butt joints will only be critical at the tube end where you can see them.

Make sense?

Don,

You might check on some of the scale jet aircraft sites. Scale airplane modelers use an aluminum covering to cover turbine jet aircraft that is very realistic and can be polished, etc. Was used on the "pilots choice award" aircraft at the 2003 Scale Masters. The product is called chrome Presto Film. I do not know where it is purchased, but you should be able to track it via your search engine.

Ray

Pete, working in the paper and printing industry, we have 3 web fed Litho presses. I brought some Litho plate home from work to do the interior of a neighbors race car. We found out that paint doesn't stick well at all to it but I don't know how it would polish up. When the paint starting coming off you could see Tony The Tiger where the etching held some of the paint. Yeah, we used to do the Kellogg's cartons, now General Mills.

Hey don, I work in a printing plant, and can get sheets of aluminum that once served as printing plates. These are sized up to 57" by 21.5"

I forget the exact alloy #, but it is hard (will crack when bent) and it polishes well.

For the cost of mail and envelope (not 57") I'll send you a sample to check out.

Greg Martin

Latest posts

Back