turbine tube material

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Ferrette

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Vendor
Anybody out there got any sources for thin aluminum sheet to roll turbine tubes?? The typical rolled aluminum flashing you find at places like Home Depot & Lowe's now has a coating on it that won't allow you to polish it. Buying sheet stock from metal suppliers is not cost effective either with the quantity they want to sell you. If anyone already has some stuff they can part with that would be cool too. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm considering making mine out of fiberglass cloth wrapped around a 3" candle... but then again, i might not... lots of sanding...

Hobby Town has it in thin sheets, the model railroad people use it to make stuff...

Shnick :D

I was considering one in Kevlar since I have kevlar cloth sheet but I need one high polish for the Bud..... :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
HEY Don, I have some mirror finish aluminum sheet i ordered form Dave Bestpitch out West. i can send it to you,, the piece i have is a little too short for the Winston but ok for the Bud tube. Do you have a good way to roll this sheet to make a tube with out kinking it?

PHIL

Don Ferrette said:
Zimmerman said:
Don,Ever tried an aluminum clothes dryer exhaust tube?

Rich
They've got a butt ugly seam on them & too big in diameter...... :ph34r:
They come in differant sizes and turn the seam facing down

Bob

The problem with the seam is the Bud uses a "scalloped" tubine tube. You can see a whole bunch of the inside of the tube. :unsure:

PHIL THOMAS said:
HEY Don, I have some mirror finish aluminum sheet i ordered form Dave Bestpitch out West. i can send it to you,, the piece i have is a little too short for the Winston but ok for the Bud tube. Do you have a good way to roll this sheet to make a tube with out kinking it?PHIL
Phil that would be great & yes I do have a way to roll it without kinks. :)

Go to a newspaper printer and get some of the scrap material from the printing press. Not quite sure what they call it, but we got lots of it. They sell it by the pound.

It is nice and thin, polishes up like a mirror, and is practically free.

Peter R.

www.climatemodels.com

(No hype, no "coming soon", just great kits)

You guys need to realize this Bud T-4 is not like your typical tube as the way it's cut back (scalloped) you can see as much inside as outside.

The printing aluminum paper your referring to is called "Litho". For Don's project he's gonna need the Mac Daddy of aluminum, nothing hooke.

I got a nice chunk of 4" cast iron sewer pipe here. Should shine up with a bit of work. ;)

Much stronger than the litho plate.

Peter R.

www.climatemodels.com

You sure? I tried laquer thinner & it didn't even faze it........
Yup. I needed some thin aluminum for hardware and found a nice (used) clipboard that had a coating on it. I wanted to remove some numbers someone had spray stenciled on the back and the coating came off too. I used Strip-X by Klean Strip.

Latest posts

Back