Tunnelhull adjustable canard wings

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drumzzzz

Has anybody ever tried an adjustable canard wing on a tunnel hull?

I've seen and used them on Hydros- sometimes even servo adjustable.

I remember seeing an article in RCBM about using fixed outlaw sprint wings with good results once.

I've used the plastic sprint car ones on the DPI tunnel. Worked out well. But not nearly as effective as they could be if you had a third servo on them to make them fully functional.

On a 3.5 or 7.5 in windy weather or choppy water would be cool to have it.

A boat that needs a canard wing, turn fin, servo activated gismos etc. to preform correctly, points to a major design problem of some kind. Some people love to try to correct problems using gagets of all sorts but I like to keep my boats as basic as possible.

-Carl,

VansRacing said:
A boat that needs a canard wing, turn fin, servo activated gismos etc. to preform correctly, points to a major design problem of some kind. Some people love to try to correct problems using gagets of all sorts but I like to keep my boats as basic as possible.
-Carl,

114348[/snapback]

True I can see a boat being designed and setup as closely possible to match an ideal set of wind and water conditions, and changes being made such as adding weight to sponsons, ride height ect..

However, being so many non ideal variables at play- wind gusts, waves ect..

perhaps an inmotion adjustment could help? (granted your dexterious enough to turn a third channel before your boat does the big "B" :lol: )

If you think about it, a fixed canard makes a tunnel less stable. As the nose rises, the wing's angle decreases reducing downforce at a time downforce needs to be increased. A gyro connected to a servo controlling the canard would solve this problem, but simple is usually better.

Lohring Miller

VansRacing said:
-Carl,

114348[/snapback]

Exactly......

Have only used one for straightline records. One wing on each side behind what appears as the windshield. Both were connected to a jack screw mechanism with the hex bolt head sitting flush with the top of the boat that allowed for very fine adjustments to downforce. These wings only start creating their effective downforce at a certain speed. They made a HUGE difference in how the boat would run toward and through the trap. The boat would begin to air out as it accellerated and, as the wings came in, it began to nose over to the optimum ride attitude. A different wing shape has been designed and machined but not yet tested. Some wing shapes can create unwanted drag behind them due to the angle of attack.

From what I've heard, using a gyro to control a wing setup on a heat racing boat has been met with mixed results. Most problems have centered around the response rate and the fact that the boat's absolute ride attitude could be subject to constant change as a result of water conditions, wind conditions, throttle input, steering input, etc. The potential result is oscillation where the boat keeps fighting against itself.

Chris Wittrig said:
Have only used one for straightline records.  One wing on each side behind what appears as the windshield.  Both were connected to a jack screw mechanism with the hex bolt head sitting flush with the top of the boat that allowed for very fine adjustments to downforce.  These wings only start creating their effective downforce at a certain speed.  They made a HUGE difference in how the boat would run toward and through the trap.  The boat would begin to air out as it accellerated and, as the wings came in, it began to nose over to the optimum ride attitude.  A different wing shape has been designed and machined but not yet tested.  Some wing shapes can create unwanted drag behind them due to the angle of attack.
From what I've heard, using a gyro to control a wing setup on a heat racing boat has been met with mixed results.  Most problems have centered around the response rate and the fact that the boat's absolute ride attitude could be subject to constant change as a result of water conditions, wind conditions, throttle input, steering input, etc.  The potential result is oscillation where the boat keeps fighting against itself.

114459[/snapback]

I could see that happening- especially with a linear auto-adjustment type of control. Latency induced oscillations definitely comes to mind. Would have to make the response a bit non-linear, more relative to actual force and auto-adjust accordingly.

Hmmm.. maybe needs a CPU. That's it- I'm taking the laptop to the pond, and going RC via PC wireless :lol:

VansRacing said:
-Carl,

114348[/snapback]

Yes but the real boats have adjustable engine tilt... we are trying to compensate for not having that in F1 boats...

Real boats have a very sensitive onboard computer that has a strong sense of self preservation. Even then things can get out of hand. Models need to have a basicly stable design to make up for the remote guidance.

Lohring Miller

lohring said:
Real boats have a very sensitive onboard computer that has a strong sense of self preservation.  Even then things can get out of hand.  Models need to have a basicly stable design to make up for the remote guidance.
Lohring Miller

114548[/snapback]

True, however R/C Heli's and sometimes planes utilize gyros. Accelerometer technology when properly utilized can even surpass gyros in terms of stability,vibration resistance and response. I believe If you can apply even a subtle corrective downforce with minimal delay, it would be better than the usual airplane imitations ground effect hulls- regardless of design do.

Back