Thermal paste

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troy Hammons

I have a Castle X8s and a stumpfab water block. Can I use CPU thermal paste, or do I need something else when attaching the water cooler to the esc? Trying to get a rig together for this weekend and I have some paste left over from a computer build. I was told by a club member what to use, but I don't remember what the product is. Suggestions please.

You can use some CPU paste but there are so many. A quality compound can make a big difference. It doesn't hurt to clean the edges up real well where any squeezes out and seal it with a fine bead of silicone all the way around. Maybe not nessacary if the kind you use is non conductive.

Last edited:
Troy, A small tip. Use some 3M radio box tape or Kapton tape and run a ribbon around the side of the cooling plates. This is a little extra insurance the cooling plate will not short two of the motor connections. Alternatively, put some extra shrink on the short motor stack stubs.

Castle X8S Pic 9.jpg

I use a Zinc Oxide based product that was developed for 3D printing heads. Has a good consistency. Gabe sells it now: Zinc Oxide Thermal Putty

Instructions on how to do the conversion are below.

Attachments

• Castle X8S and XLX2 Cooler Instructions 2022-03-17.pdf
    912.6 KB · Views: 0
Yeah, I thought those were pretty close together. I will definitely use those two methods to isolate the water block from the stack stubs. Thanks!

Is the stump-fab considerably better than the castle version or why would one not just use the castle version of watercooling?

stump fab made theirs before castle offerd it and if you want to convert a x8s non hydra
In a roundabout way of asking I was wondering if the marine version of the ESC might be restricted in power to retain reliability. Boats pull more amps for longer durations, so that was a concern of mine. It sounds like all is the same.

Back