The State of r/c boating

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3669859dac73cb9935e0dfdae9e4d5fd.jpg

Myself (middle), son, and father, all ran together in the good ole days at the SGRA facility....I got out of it for awhile, and have been back in it for 4 yrs now. Currently myself, my son, and my grandson are having a blast !

940d0ed4b4e7d0a9c6a3a6987853210c.jpg

2a5c99fb6ae4bdd8c3c1a0bc4ea360e7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Im with Buckshot, get your kids involved...........

....and the competitions kids as well, right Mic?????......
default_smile.png

......and anyone else you can. That is what keeps this hobby alive. Aron said it very well above, people will find money to do things they enjoy!!!! Happy Boating!!!!
Im with Ron on this one believe it or not -
default_rolleyes.gif

Grow em young even if they are not your kids,

The last pic with Max is AWESOME if you know the back story = good stuff.

Next pic is.

Nubby with Max at the Twin Shootout when he got his first win - Our future is as solid as WE make it.

And yes- I got to Water Baby him and proud of it- AWESOME kid.

Reminds me of seeing the young Junker grow from needing a stool on the drivers stand - to running with the big dogs in D3 Tunnel Mafia Land and chasing girls
default_cool.png

EDIT- Im not sure HOW I missed it but, Ron , it appears Max is sending you an unintended future message with his left hand in that last pic
default_laugh.png
default_rolleyes.gif
default_laugh.png

ac662t.jpg

Pretty little gal Ron.....

Thank god she looks like her mother
default_tongue.png

Around here the EPA superfund closed all the water and made it to where

Ya don't even ask bout it, Blamed it on lead contamination and such.

The kids are to busy with their phones and drones game systems.....

Kinda sad really,

Gene

Pretty little gal Ron.....

Thank god she looks like her mother
default_tongue.png

Around here the EPA superfund closed all the water and made it to where

Ya don't even ask bout it, Blamed it on lead contamination and such.

The kids are to busy with their phones and drones game systems.....

Kinda sad really,

Gene
Thanks Gene. I am very blessed with two beautiful and smart daughters. If they got their looks from their Mom, hopefully their smarts came from me but that may be wishful thinking LOL. There are a lot of interferences these days we are up against, but those will always be there. Promotion and involvement are key.....
default_wink.png

One of the last races at the "Brick Yard" in Houston, TX

Back when I had yellow hair. LOL

I have lots of images that I have found. This short clip has a few of the oldest.

One is a flyer that I had when I owned Crapshooter in the late 70's with a picture of Lew Mettatal who was one of the founders of Crapshooter.

Another is a picture of 4 of the pioneers (Don Pinkert, Joey Albaneese, Tim Reese and Glen Cupit.

Another has 3 guys that came to the Indy Unlimited and were super close friends of mine (Mike Wisniewski, Wray Freitas, Mike Beauregard)

Another has the first President of IMPBA (John Bridge - Father of the Twin Outrigger)

Another of Glen Cupit and His Son Conrad (Connie). Connie was 3rd at the Indy Unlimited with my 20 hydro, against twins, etc, etc. He was 12 years old I think).

A picture of the Southern Gentleman Club (New Orleans) with some of the early members.

Jim Irwin the designer of pipes for many years.

Roy Cogburn from Florida

Dee Hughey, Brother of Ed Hughey of Hughey Shaft Fame and one of the VERY Earliest boaters. He was my Mentor....

A score sheet from the Virginia Beach Internats.

John Brown, Stan Simpson, ? and Stu Barr

I have a lot more and will dig some more out........

Here is the link to the slide show: http://rcboat.com/ORI.wmv

Here it is on YouTube: https://youtu.be/0YCAM8gLa2g

Here is an image of each of the A Main Qualifiers for the Masters Hydro Race in the 80's. You will see many people you recognize. List those that you can figure out from left to right on each class.

http://rcboat.com/Masters_Classes.jpg

This was my favorite race format of all time. I bet that others would agree.
default_smile.png
Maybe it is time to revive it.....

How many guys appear in 3 classes, 4 classes?

Amazing share Marty - Thank You
default_cool.png

Wouldnt suck if the Mods could create an RC Racing History Section that people could add and contribute too along the way .

Save our history so to speak ,

HOW BOUT IT MODS ????

Amazing share Marty - Thank You
default_cool.png

Wouldnt suck if the Mods could create an RC Racing History Section that people could add and contribute too along the way .

Save our history so to speak ,

HOW BOUT IT MODS ????
We have a good start right here on this thread. Just keep it going. We may even effect a positive change to the "State of r/c boating" with all of this great history.

Something to want to be a part of! :)

I have 3 kids. Oldest is 22 girl and 2 boys 15 and 11. Siara did a little bit of racing but was more interested in her art work than the racing part. Lots of racers got drawings of there boats while they were at the lake racing back then. The youngest Jonathan has no interest. Mathew thou has been racing with me the past few years. Even raced at our 2014 nats in Marysville WA. Slowly he is starting to get into the faster boats. Might bring him along on next years Hobart trip.

Mike

I dug up a 1974 article I wrote when I covered the IMPBA internats for flying models magazine. I took pictures of the magazine so it is not the best quality. I have all the negatives but don't even know if people develope black and white fim anymore. You young guys don't know what film is I recon. Wow if we only had cameras in our phones back then. Wait.....we didn't have phones either. I remember waiting in line at a telephone pole at a motel to make a call in Elmira one year. They didn't even have a phone in the room. LOL

Frank Blanchard in the first photo was my mentor back in the late 1960s. Frank was the founder of the Old Dominion Model Boat Association back in the early 70s. He and Steve Stevens and I went to the 74 internats and we met a lot of the pioneers including Don Pinckert, Ed hughey, Ed Kalfus, Gary Preusse, Ben Beard, John Bridge, Al Churas, Len Skwiera, Mike Meelbush, etc.

20160817_063406_resized.jpg

20160817_063241_resized.jpg

20160817_063234_resized.jpg

20160817_063132_resized.jpg

20160817_063125_resized.jpg

Got some more recent photos in the 1980s.......

Got lots of old photos but mostly negatives that would need to be printed because all the good paper photos went to R/C boat modeler with the articles I wrote.

20160817_063730_resized.jpg

20160817_063555_resized.jpg

20160817_063711_resized.jpg

Remember the days when the IMPBA officials dressed up for the internats banquet? Sorry my rotate is not working on some of these photos.

20160817_063212_resized.jpg

Just learned I can rotate pictures on my phone before I send them. Here is one of Dick Tyndall and myself when he was IMPBA president and I was District 12 Director but.........for relaxation from all the politics he taught me how to successfully fly model airplanes. That is a buddy box I am holding. He controls the plane on takeoff and flicks a switch to give me control when the plane is high in the air. If i was to get in trouble he released the switch and gained control. I have often thought about applying this to beginner model boaters.

dicky tyndall.jpg

Wow the 74 Nats were at Lake Ida. I grew up running at that pond. I was born in 84 so I couldn't make it... Haha :)

Awesome stuff John!

Latest posts

Back