The State of r/c boating

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone have more pics of Gregg Huhgey, Dee Hughey. Did they run Scale hydro any time? I bought a scale long ago on rc universe and the guy gave me the history of the boat that it was two brothers. One had the all white boat that just said (boat) the other had a Smokin Joe. I remember the picture. I just want to see if that was them. Shade some light to the story.
They are not related. Gregg Huey and Dee Hughey. Dee is the younger brother of Ed Hughey (my Mentor) who made the Hughey boats and flex shafts for MANY years. Gregg Huey worked for me producing Crapshooter Boats for several years. I later sold the company to him and he produced boats for a few years.

Neither ran scale boats during their racing time.

Dee Hughey liked all sized boats and was one of the most creative boaters that we had. Gregg loved 40 hydro as his favorite. Held the oval record for part of a day at one of the original Hydro Masters Race. Steve O'Donnell broke his record that same day of qualifications. Gregg won the highest award in IMPBA (the Excellence of Performance Trophy). Dee Hughey won US#1 at the Virginia Beach Internats.

Probably more than you wanted to know, but these two were a couple of my closest friends in the hobby.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone is talking about what we looked like in the past and what we look like now. Well here is recent photos of John Beardslee and myself. Compare them to Johns post showing us in 1970 with John Bridge and Harold Tuttle. Still good looking as ever, ah John!!!!!!!!
Thanks Jerry - at least you didn't show the lower half - plagued by "Dunlaps Disease" like so many our age!!

John
Well, I suppose if you're going to have a disease named after you at least it isn't fatal.

JD
Geez Dunny I didn't know it was named after you, you don't seem to suffer from it at all, not even after a trip to Detroit that started with a Strohs on the way from the airport! (Probably all that time in the retrieve boats) Were you the discoverer and identifier of the disease?

John
Well, a few years and a few pounds(probably quite a few pounds) have passed and been gained since that trip. Was that 1975 or '76? John and Pat Bridge. square box pizza, John's twin hydro, and a visit to see the Miss Pepsi at Belle Isle - that was one memorable trip!!
default_laugh.png

Dunny

Does anyone have more pics of Gregg Huhgey, Dee Hughey. Did they run Scale hydro any time? I bought a scale long ago on rc universe and the guy gave me the history of the boat that it was two brothers. One had the all white boat that just said (boat) the other had a Smokin Joe. I remember the picture. I just want to see if that was them. Shade some light to the story.
I Think that was the boat, Joes, Bob Pruesse owned it. Gary Pruesse races the white 82u55 boat

I Think that was the boat, Joes, Bob Pruesse owned it. Gary Pruesse races the white 82u55 boat
Thanks Phil!Are they still in the hobby or on here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy, do you remenber????

the 2 and 3 picture you and Hobbs in french WC NAVIGA 1998 at Courville sur Eure...

the 1 picture it's me with my first USA Rigger 40 Avenger Spider cobra... i win my first French Champion ship with this boat.. in 1998...

I hope many of you will come in France for WC IMBRA in 2018.

.........................................................Chris..............................................................
Hi Chris!

I remember very well. Was my first NAVIGA World Champs. The USA did not have a team at that time. NAVIGA called me, (on short notice) and invited me to attend and to bring another US racer with me. I wasn't sure I knew anyone who could just drop what they were doing (job) on short notice and travel to France for an r/c boat race for two weeks.

I had seen Al Hobbs fly into the Southern Gentleman's races, so I thought maybe he could get away and fly to France. I gave him a call....and to my surprise, he said sure that sounds like fun!

I was already committed to the IMPBA Internats, so I could not stay for the full event. I was there for the practice days and one or two days of Qualification.

The racing was much different. I quickly had to learn to drive slow and fast DURING the race, not just mill time. If I remember correctly I ran the fastest time in 3.5 hydro and it was also the fastest time of all the classes.

Al Hobbs and I had a blast! We met so many awesome r/c boat racers from the world over!

Boy do we have stories and memories to tell about that event!

Just ONE photo example: Anatoly Karpov's wife, Me,... and an empty bottle of Ukrainian Lemon Vodka. :)

Photo credit ~ Al Hobbs

France 2018...20 years later sounds great!

Karpov, Andy, Lemon vodka, France 1998.jpg

Back