The State of r/c boating

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Brown

Looking at today's birthday list.

We are getting "gray".

Three over 60.

One over 50.

And only one in 20's.

When many of us started boating 30 to 45 years ago, most boaters were in their 20's to 40's. I was 16.

I guess Pokemon Go is more interesting?

I propose we start a "No gray hair" picture list.

Mine is not up loading...will try later.

Andy I would have to have hair to be gray. This is my 35 year and you are so wright not a lot of young new people getting into boating. Over the years I have watched my fellow boaters grow in the mid section and turn gray and or loss their hair. Must be the nitro.

The cost of model boating is getting more expensive. Bottom line the economy is not the best for your normal average person

My biggest issue these days is the use of ponds, lakes or open water. I would test and run more if there was more water options available. Most people are so opposed to running a toy boat because of the noise and wildlife around makes it hard to make people see the fun we have for there own eyes. Time and money are not the issue for me it is the available water usage.

Beau

i have 2 boys (young adults
default_smile.png
I would love to introduce to boating, however, I would never want to expose them to the crazy stuff that goes down at the pond

We have preferred to do the junior golf tour....needless to say, we are having tons of fun learning about competitive golf

I have to agree with Beau... I have lots of places I could run but getting people to give you permission is another story... Hard to explain to people that most real water craft put out more pollution or noise or both...

Most people in my area have there master crafts and Eliminators but think that I will cause more damage to there lake...Sad but true...

The other thing that's hurting boating is that most people my age and younger are all about plug and play and Warranties..

FYI 35 years old been doing this crazy hobby since I was 6... Dustin

The cost of model boating is getting more expensive. Bottom line the economy is not the best for your normal average person
My first rigger kit, a Pinckert Gator .40, cost $75 from a hobbyshop, not directly from the builder in 1973. About the same as a JAE kit.

The radio cost $230....and was not near as high quality as a current radio for $200. The engine was cheaper, but the quality was inferior.

Today a person could buy a great running JAE kit for less than $100. A great running NOVA .21 for $185 and hardware that is superior to what we had for just a few bucks more....and the performance will be way ahead of what we had 40 years ago.

My biggest issue these days is the use of ponds, lakes or open water. I would test and run more if there was more water options available. Most people are so opposed to running a toy boat because of the noise and wildlife around makes it hard to make people see the fun we have for there own eyes. Time and money are not the issue for me it is the available water usage.

Beau
Here in the Southeast I can think of many excellent sites with awesome facilities that are IMPBA or NAMBA insured and are in the midst of large cities with millions of people...Atlanta, Huntsville, Charleston, Orlando, Tampa, Melbourne, Miami. But the use is small. Back in the day, we had to hack weeds from the shore line and chase out the gators and moccasins to run an r/c boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was 13 when I started and iam all gray and iam 53 now

And it is awesome how things have changed

Over the years rotery dial phone and only

3 channels on the tv my first boat was a dumas deep vee metallic greem

I was 13 when I started and iam all gray and iam 53 now

And it is awesome how things have changed

Over the years rotery dial phone and only

3 channels on the tv
I'm hoping we can get some pics posted of us old guys from back in the day when we were not "Gray".

I still can't get a pic posted....not sure what's up.

Andy IW appears to be having issues uploading pics I tried 3 times and 3 times it failed?

The pic attached is one I had on here already and while its not from the late 70's it is early 90's.

View attachment 66321

Andy I think your numbers are way off. If you buy a jae yeah. But what's the price of a roadrunner, jaguar, cmdi,crapshooters. Then your prices will be way off. But a high quality radio and a good Novarossi like the DD21. You will be approaching a few thousand dollars.

honestly, times change. we can sit there and deride Pokémon Go the same way my dad ridiculed those "stupid video games" I played as a kid, and the same way your parents complained about whatever it was you were interested in they didn't approve of.

honestly, times change. we can sit there and deride Pokémon Go the same way my dad ridiculed those "stupid video games" I played as a kid, and the same way your parents complained about whatever it was you were interested in they didn't approve of.

I'm one of those guys without gray hair yet. and I don't know if I'm going to stick with R/C boat racing much longer. I'm not a competitive person. I don't care if I win a rectangle of fake wood with a decal on it; it doesn't mean anything to me. when I've got a boat out there on a race course, I'm pretty much a nervous, terrified mess. I don't know what the hell I'm doing, at best I don't want my boat wrecked, and I sure as hell don't want to wreck someone else's boat. I just want the day to be over so I can go home and relax.

it's just no fun at all. at this point I don't even know why I do it.
That's why I took a 3 year and some change break from the hobby and sold the majority of my stuff. Little by little I'm getting back in. No races planned in the future just testing is more fun for me and I learn more.

Julian

Ok Andy, here is a "No Gray Hair Picture" to start us off that I posted on Facebook the other day. 1991 I believe, Charlotte Regatta winners in Charlotte, NC. Many faces of boaters we know here, before the gray hair, including me!!!...LOL

Art Schmidt, Mike Cossman, Grover Stinson, Dean Leary,David Ashmore, Harry Harper, Mac McKinny, Lee Smith, Ron Shaw, Ed Knudsen, John Finch, Jim Squires, Art Valdesere

Here is another "No Gray Hair Pic" number two from the Greenville Model Boaters Race also back in the early 90's. Tommy Lee and his wife Beth, John Otto, Karl Sturm, John Porter, Mike Talley, Harry Harper, and others in this one.

Yesterday I made 71yrs. Started in '67 with an K&B eng, OS radio and a Dumas skiddadle mono.

Hope to make the NAMBA nationals 50th anniversary!

Not very many people will take the time to build and trim a boat. Much less row out to retrieve a dead boat.

Can"t just walk out and get the boat like a car.

Need the grey strands of patience and wisdow to be a boater.....

Back