The State of r/c boating

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bobby Caudell ~ The originator of Roadrunner boats. Miami, Fla. circa 1991.

Tom Pretzfeld with his Twin 90 @ Okeeheelee park in West Palm Beach, Fla. circa 1991

That is Eric Swenson's red/yellow Chevy van in the background. Eric,a fantastic r/c boater and US-1 Champion in the early 1980's.

002.JPG

004.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
And Tom is wearing a shirt I made for him while he attended the Winter Nationals that year.

Looks like that might be Fred Robson with Bobby and the Road Runner signs brought back some memories!

Miss them both !

Here is a more current grandpa memory. The first picture shows my grandson Rob with his dad Mike in 2001 at a London Ontario Race. Rob was five years old and refused to race in Novice Class. He wanted to race with the "big guys" in B Mono and as fate would have it, he won first place. The second picture is of Rob at twenty years old, still racing with the "big guys" at Hobart 2015. Nice picture of Doc as well!!! Great times, great friends and great memories. Next year on the wheel for sure Mike, hope you can stand the excitement it will bring!!!!!!

Here is a more current grandpa memory. The first picture shows my grandson Rob with his dad Mike in 2000 at a London Ontario Race. Rob was five years old and refused to race in Novice Class. He wanted to race with the "big guys" in B Mono and as fate would have it he won first place. The second picture is of Rob at twenty years old, still racing with the "big guys" at Hobart 2015. Nice picture of Doc as well!!! Great times, great friends and great memories. Next year on the wheel for sure Mike, hope you can stand the excitement it will bring!!!!!!

2001RobLondon.jpg

Hobart 2015 - Rob B-Hydro.JPG

Great Thread Andy!!!

Brings back lots of good memories!

I found a couple of the 97' Indy Masters - the D and E Hydro final heats...

Steve

ehydro.jpg

dhydro.jpg

Who's that on right.
default_wink.png
Internats, St Louis.
Studying as usual
default_smile.png

It's a Repeat of August 3rd!

Today's birthday's:

Three over 60.

One over 50.

And only one in 20's.

I wonder if our high level performance today is too intimidating for new guys?

40 years ago many of us started with 40 mph boats and graduated over many years to 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 mph and beyond.

Or is Drone racing just more interesting to the young people?

Love all the photos and memories that everyone has been posting!

Today's birthday's:

Three over 60.

One over 50.

And only one in 20's.

40 years ago many of us started with 40 mph boats and graduated over many years to 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 mph and beyond.

Drones are cheaper lol

Today's birthday's:

Three over 60.

One over 50.

And only one in 20's.

Drones are cheaper lol
Not when you get done Upgrading it
default_rolleyes.gif
default_tongue.png

Awesome history lesson and GREAT thread- keep it coming please.

I don't think price is the issue but, more likely, the ease of getting into drone racing. Everything is, pretty much, plug and play. There's only so much you can do to a drone to upgrade it. Testing and changing boats takes hours, not minutes, so the average person today won't even look at boats, it's too much work for them

One absolute major issue with new boaters and use older ones is available. Lakes to test / use

That alone will deter someone let alone all the STUFF needed to do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started with two boats almost a year ago...now I have this sitting in my shop. More aren't pictured but you get the idea.

I'm 25 years old, I'll be turning 26 in less than a month and will be spending my birthday weekend at Hobart racing. I've spent a lot of time on here reading the post and trying to inform myself on the many different aspects of the sport/hobby and I don't believe I have even began to scratch the surface.

The thing that really got me into it was someone to go to the pond with and educate me, point me in the right direction and condition me to the hobby. Money or time can be a factor yes but you will make money and time for something you enjoy doing, I enjoy this.

I did go down to the Winter Nitro Nationals in Brandon, FL this year and had a blast. Got to meet many great guys in the hobby that furthered my interest and desire into the sport (Andy Brown, Tom Foley, John Otto, Ron Shaw, Mark Bullard, Doc Turner, Danny King, Jerry Crowther, Marty Davis & Ian I.) I know I'm missing a few as well. I'd compare meeting you guys to going to any major sporting event and getting to meet and talk with some of the greats.

But here is my .02 cents on the matter of getting more people involved in the hobby and sport of rc boat racing. Take them to pond, give them the radio and take them under your wing.

13510869_10207683993710589_305112830259005861_n.jpg

11066608_10204745023278165_656461947344362900_n.jpg

There is no exposure in model boating to bring new people in. Back in the mid 90's, I had a propeller repair shop in Winter Haven, and in our slow time we would build boats for ourselves. We would go down and run at a pond that was right off the main road that ran thru town and you would not believe the number of people that would stop and say how cool they were and where could they get one. Within a year there were probably a dozen boats or more that would show up and play.That is where I met Randy Premo and Gary Erwine.. We used to have boat races scattered throughout the year, now we only seem to be able to run in the colder months. How many people go down to parks in the winter time. It seems people only care about the big races anymore. Rc cars run every weekend so they will eventually draw in new blood. With so few races how can we ever draw new people in.

A big problem is you can only race and run at a pond that is registered to be covered by insurance.

The days of just throw a boat in a pond are gone as politically correct has taken over are world.

Some one gets hurt and all hell will break lose.........................bring out the lawyers and national guard..........................
default_ohmy.png

Pretty soon it will be full face mask and bio suits just to put on a race............................................Libratards to the rescue..............
default_wink.png

Today's birthday's:

Three over 60.

One over 50.

And only one in 20's.

Girls , girls , girls .cars Jet skis , cars , girls , girls , girls . I think the order goes something like that !

Im with Buckshot, get your kids involved...........

....and the competitions kids as well, right Mic?????......
default_smile.png

......and anyone else you can. That is what keeps this hobby alive. Aron said it very well above, people will find money to do things they enjoy!!!! Happy Boating!!!!

Back