The State of r/c boating

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AWESOME STUFF !!!!!

Its faaaar past time this thread was pinned .
default_sleep.png

and poss the title adjusted to include post racing history pics HERE.

Just saying, your getting a one shot deal at pics and stories , first hand , that cannot be replaced.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's fun to see many of the names associated with faces in this thread. Now we just need to match old pictures with new so we can see who has changed and how much.

B&W photography, does anyone even do that any more? I remember shooting Tri-X 400 at 1000, back in the early 80s and having to overdevelop it to get the pictures to come out. Now days, most wouldn't even know what Tri-X is or what "pushing film" means or understand that it has to be developed differently. Photo tech has definitely taken the fun out of photography

It's fun to see many of the names associated with faces in this thread. Now we just need to match old pictures with new so we can see who has changed and how much.

B&W photography, does anyone even do that any more? I remember shooting Tri-X 400 at 1000, back in the early 80s and having to overdevelop it to get the pictures to come out. Now days, most wouldn't even know what Tri-X is or what "pushing film" means or understand that it has to be developed differently. Photo tech has definitely taken the fun out of photography
"Now we just need to match old pictures with new so we can see who has changed and how much."

So here we go!

My first IMPBA US-1 ~

E Hydro. Rossi .65 powered Mongoose. Huntsville Ala. August 1987. Age 30. Pictured 2nd from right.

Also in this picture L to R. ???, John Finch, Greg Hughey (owner of Crapshooter boats), Gary Pruesse ( G & M models), ??? , Andy Brown, Cliff Rose of Miami Fla.

My latest IMPBA record ~

36cc gas hydro 1/3 mile oval record 17.2 seconds. QuickDraw 30.5cc powered Eagle SGX. Atlanta, Ga. April, 2014. Age 56.

I will look for my first r/c boat picture. 1974. Age 16

post-1694-0-84441700-1471435532.jpg

IMG_20140309_162814_886 (2).jpg

Don't have many older pics. But here's a few.

Pic 1 me in circa 1990

Pic 2 misc friends circa 1990. Andy this is Mears lake

Pic 3 1988 at welleby park in sunrise, Fl (Crowther is there somewhere)

Pic 4 circa 1986. I started early with twins

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Ok, here is a progression of photos.........

Right photo.... 1965 ..... 15 years old flying U-Control airplanes. I must have weighed 100 pounds.

middle photo..... 1982 using Kraft stick transmitter

Left photo........... 2015 Gas Nationals (left) with brother in law Jim Skelton (right)

nats20150718_133137.jpg

kraft tx20160817_063814_resized.jpg

airplanes20160816_201928_resized.jpg

Right photo.... 1965 ..... 15 years old flying U-Control airplanes

Left photo........... 2015 Gas Nationals (left) with brother in law Jim Skelton (right)
That is awesome John! So many of us gray haired guys started in U-control. I scratch built and flew my first trainer (age 13), then went on to Racers, Stunt and Combat. Still have some Fox .36 Combat Special engines.

Right photo.... 1965 ..... 15 years old flying U-Control airplanes. I must have weighed 100 pounds.

Great pics John.

Here is a contrast picture, me at 25 and then at 52, lots of grey these days. The group picture is from the Seattle Nats in 2014, good shot with the D16 group, starting from the left, Allen Yuen, me, Kevin Traboulay, Rob Duckering, Doug Sick, Dan Lemay and Brad Nichols, lots of grey there except those who now shave their heads to hide the passing of time.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2012 Salt Lake City Nats. An all D16 Scale Final, Al Hobbs is smiling even after I roughed up his Bardahl with my Frosted Flakes in the last heat. For those in Salt Lake that year, there really was no last heat, it was perpetually 100 degrees everyday, all day!

image.jpeg

Don't have many older pics. But here's a few.

Pic 1 me in circa 1990

Pic 2 misc friends circa 1990. Andy this is Mears lake

Pic 3 1988 at welleby park in sunrise, Fl (Crowther is there somewhere)

Pic 4 circa 1986. I started early with twins

Great pictures Danny King! Gotta love it! We were all young enough to work off the ground in the squatted position. Many of us did not know what a starting table was.

Here are a couple of pics of Mike Brevoort and I from the Tennessee Race back around 1992 and last year.

1992? Tennesse Boat Race at their TVA Race Site

2015 World Tunnel Championships in Charleston, SC

Andy,

I started with u-control at about 10 years old. My first scatch build took all winter and my dad said he would fly it first so I would not reck it. He didn't even make one lap. Went straight up over head and straight into the ground. I guess he felt guilty and bought me one of those .049 trainer planes. yellow and blue with rubber bands holding the wings on so when you crash they fly apart and you just put new rubber bands on it. At about age 12 I built my first large plane, which was the flight streak. Dad was good at helping me with the silkspan covering but when it came time to fly it. I flew it. 60 foot lines. larger engine, and a good airfoil. Wow that plane flew great! learned loops figure 8s, wing overs etc. in no time. At age 16 I met Ron Coffee who was flying airplanes and running a JVS boat hull and was racing with his buddy Ad Clark. They persuaded me to come to the pond one day and put a transmitter in my hand. The planes got sold and I put the money into boats. Not because they were boats, but because of the competition. Lets see who can go the fastest! Still enjoying the challenge at 65.

Ron,

Nice of you to hold all those trophys for your buddy. LOL You guys are looking better now than you did 24 years ago!

John

Everyone is talking about what we looked like in the past and what we look like now. Well here is recent photos of John Beardslee and myself. Compare them to Johns post showing us in 1970 with John Bridge and Harold Tuttle. Still good looking as ever, ah John!!!!!!!!
Thanks Jerry - at least you didn't show the lower half - plagued by "Dunlaps Disease" like so many our age!!

John

Everyone is talking about what we looked like in the past and what we look like now. Well here is recent photos of John Beardslee and myself. Compare them to Johns post showing us in 1970 with John Bridge and Harold Tuttle. Still good looking as ever, ah John!!!!!!!!
Thanks Jerry - at least you didn't show the lower half - plagued by "Dunlaps Disease" like so many our age!!

John
Well, I suppose if you're going to have a disease named after you at least it isn't fatal.

JD

Ron,

Nice of you to hold all those trophys for your buddy. LOL You guys are looking better now than you did 24 years ago!

John
Lol John. Try to tell our knees and backs that hahahaha. I have so many old pics to post. I will keep popping one up once in a while, some will probabay have you in them as well....
default_smile.png

Andy, do you remenber????

the 2 and 3 picture you and Hobbs in french WC NAVIGA 1998 at Courville sur Eure...

the 1 picture it's me with my first USA Rigger 40 Avenger Spider cobra... i win my first French Champion ship with this boat.. in 1998...

I hope many of you will come in France for WC IMBRA in 2018.

.........................................................Chris..............................................................

pictures.jpeg

Does anyone have more pics of Gregg Huhgey, Dee Hughey. Did they run Scale hydro any time? I bought a scale long ago on rc universe and the guy gave me the history of the boat that it was two brothers. One had the all white boat that just said (boat) the other had a Smokin Joe. I remember the picture. I just want to see if that was them. Shade some light to the story.

John
Well, I suppose if you're going to have a disease named after you at least it isn't fatal.

JD
Geez Dunny I didn't know it was named after you, you don't seem to suffer from it at all, not even after a trip to Detroit that started with a Strohs on the way from the airport! (Probably all that time in the retrieve boats) Were you the discoverer and identifier of the disease?

John

Back