The State of r/c boating

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my first electric powered model boats - probably 1956/57. 60 years later I'm still building electric powered model boats. Guess some guys never grow up.

JD
Love it Jerry! The detail in those old outboard engines is amazing!

Pictured below: Brett English, Miami Fla. Surrounded by Mongooses. Cira 1988.

001.JPG

One of my first electric powered model boats - probably 1956/57. 60 years later I'm still building electric powered model boats. Guess some guys never grow up.

JD

Where the HELL is my boy Brett?????

Here are a couple of pictures of Doc and myself from 1986 Internats in Huntsville Alabama. Set the oval record with my F boat that year.

scan0001.jpg

scan0002.jpg

Great picture of some of the Detroit guys. Picture tells you how long I have been around RC Boating. Skinny and hair!!!! Unfortunetly, a lot my old pictures are on slides and I have not transferred them to digital format. I am proud to say that my son Mike and grandson Rob are enjoying RC Boating.

JD

Speaking of the Mongoose, remember hand drawing these Andy.
default_cool.png

Mongoosesetup1.jpg

Mongoosesetup2.jpg

A few shots of me with my 12 cell opc after i won electric nats in 94. Thats a balsa hotshot sprint. Balsa frames with 1/64 sheeting. Very light. Had to be to go fast and not smoke the electrics. The was my first nats win.

20160805_203504.jpg

20160805_203450.jpg

Mark,

I went to the same avionics school back in January 1969. I already had my first boat and visited the hobby shop there often to see if anyone else built model boats. We model boaters were scarce then.

John
It didn't change any over the following 13 years either. I bought everything the base hobby shop had that was boat related at the time, other than the radio, which was a Blue/White band, 27MHz, if I remember right. Had one other guy go off base and found that little Dumas rigger, don't remember the name right off hand, and that was it while I was there. Come to think about it, the boat didn't even get wet till over a year later, summer of 84 I think. Didn't want to deal with the lake on base, too many Water Moccasins for my taste

Here are a couple of pictures of Doc and myself from 1986 Internats in Huntsville Alabama. Set the oval record with my F boat that year.
Doc still looks the same as he did 30 years ago. I remember when you set the 1/3mile oval record with your OPS 45 powered Coyote Mark. Was about that same time. Maybe 1987?

Everyone is talking about what we looked like in the past and what we look like now. Well here is recent photos of John Beardslee and myself. Compare them to Johns post showing us in 1970 with John Bridge and Harold Tuttle. Still good looking as ever, ah John!!!!!!!!

023.JPG

024.JPG

I'm not that old but been doing this for a while lol.. I got a set of aero marine sprint cat blue prints some where stored in the shop...

Everyone is talking about what we looked like in the past and what we look like now. Well here is recent photos of John Beardslee and myself. Compare them to Johns post showing us in 1970 with John Bridge and Harold Tuttle. Still good looking as ever, ah John!!!!!!!!
Hair replaced with hats! Still friends 46 years later, how great is that.

I see John is looking down at his 3rd channel setting again
default_biggrin.png

We need to get your boats out dad. Your due for some stick time.

JD

Where is Brett English go ? Quit RC boats?
default_ph34r.png

I still get on here from time to time.....haven't so much as lit off a boat in about 3 years! Im still content with taking a brake from the hobby after some 30+ years of fiddling with the dang things! I do miss so many of the people that I got to know thru the years...several who really helped me to get better at the racing/setup part....this guy here is one of em....Tom Foley aka "GO FAST" (I NEVER got credit for the nickname I gave him!
default_tongue.png
) and i Raced together for a good number of years and had more good/great times than I could possibly remember...you couldn't ask for 2 more "opposites"(Felix and Oscar!
default_smile.png
) than Tom and me, but for some reason, it really worked well! This is a pic of Tom and me at the 2005 Winternats....hard to believe that was 11 years ago! I have some paper pictures that go back to the early/mid 80s/90s, but I will have to get them scanned to download em.......times have changed, and yes, we are certainly getting older....and like it or not, the hobby is certainly gotten more sophisticated and expensive....I still remember way back in the day, the majority of racers showed up in cargo vans, pickup trucks, and/or station wagons.....now its 60,000 dollar dualies, mega RVs, and decked out enclosed trailers! I remember taking a pic of the people lining up to get into the 2011 Wnats early in the morning, and I do believe I was the only vehicle that didn't have a trailer hooked up to it! everything I had was in my 'lil ol GMC SAFARI!! But I RACED! and I did purty good too!
default_wink.png
default_cool.png
default_smile.png
I still have that boat and that sweatshirt !

Here are a couple of photos from a really long time ago, this would have been the Canadian Nationals at Kirk Lake, guessing it would have been approximately 85/86, right at the time I finished my first scale boat, the 84 Squire, found a pic from that same race of the "Hobbs" with just a touch of grey, looks like he's telling the boys something serious.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Here are a couple of photos from a really long time ago, this would have been the Canadian Nationals at Kirk Lake, guessing it would have been approximately 85/86, right at the time I finished my first scale boat, the 84 Squire, found a pic from that same race of the "Hobbs" with just a touch of grey, looks like he's telling the boys something serious.
Fixed the pic routation.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Back