T6 Budweiser Laser cut framing kit

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't get me wrong. I like the piston, but it seems the times are changing.

With one big difference Misshydro. The reason the big boats went to turbines is there simply wasn't any Merlins or Allisons left to use in the boats. What you have to remember is that the Merlin 1650 has been the primary power for many of the Unlimited class of racing Mustangs since the Mustang was released for public sale. When you also look at how many Mustangs are out there that ARE NOT RACED, it takes an even bigger bite out of the available engines. On top of those, you also have to look at how many Merlins are in Australia and England for their remaining few WWII fighters that used the Merlin for power. There are just not very many available for the anyone.

As for the Allison 1710s, while there are more of them around, what's left are either worn out or hoarded by aircraft owners and restorers for the few P38s, P39s and P40s that are left. When you look at the engines the U-3 team is using, every one of their engine blocks has been pieced back together using material from sacrificial blocks after conrod failures punched holes through the sides of their blocks. Most of their oil pans are the same way, patched together to keep them in the running.

The lack of engines is putting a real strain on the Hydroplane and Raceboat Museum's restoration projects as well. They have parts available to build one or two Allisons and MAYBE ONE MERLIN. IF they have the parts, the Merlin is going into the 77 Atlas and then, like everyone else, they will be scrambling to find more engines to use in future projects.

Now, lets look at the R/C boaters. What is happening here is the cost of fuel is going up in leaps and bounds due to the increasing cost of nitro. To make things worse, few new engines are being developed to give us more to chose from, driving prices higher. Then, of course, we have the real problems:

1) some of the boaters are getting lazy(not wanting to hassle with the finicky little nitro motors and all the related "problems")

2) environmentalists screaming about us poluting the water and air(even though they drive cars that pollute more in a day than a boat will in a whole season)

3) the unbearable noise that people complain about.

How do we fix these problems? Drop in an electric drive and all of the problems go away, for now anyway ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
With one big difference Misshydro. The reason the big boats went to turbines is there simply wasn't any Merlins or Allisons left to use in the boats. What you have to remember is that the Merlin 1650 has been the primary power for many of the Unlimited class of racing Mustangs since the Mustang was released for public sale. When you also look at how many Mustangs are out there that ARE NOT RACED, it takes an even bigger bite out of the available engines. On top of those, you also have to look at how many Merlins are in Australia and England for their remaining few WWII fighters that used the Merlin for power. There are just not very many available for the anyone.

As for the Allison 1710s, while there are more of them around, what's left are either worn out or hoarded by aircraft owners and restorers for the few P38s, P39s and P40s that are left. When you look at the engines the U-3 team is using, every one of their engine blocks has been pieced back together using material from sacrificial blocks after conrod failures punched holes through the sides of their blocks. Most of their oil pans are the same way, patched together to keep them in the running.

The lack of engines is putting a real strain on the Hydroplane and Raceboat Museum's restoration projects as well. They have parts available to build one or two Allisons and MAYBE ONE MERLIN. IF they have the parts, the Merlin is going into the 77 Atlas and then, like everyone else, they will be scrambling to find more engines to use in future projects.

Now, lets look at the R/C boaters. What is happening here is the cost of fuel is going up in leaps and bounds due to the increasing cost of nitro. To make things worse, few new engines are being developed to give us more to chose from, driving prices higher. Then, of course, we have the real problems:

1) some of the boaters are getting lazy(not wanting to hassle with the finicky little nitro motors and all the related "problems")

2) environmentalists screaming about us poluting the water and air(even though they drive cars that pollute more in a day than a boat will in a whole season)

3) the unbearable noise that people complain about.

How do we fix these problems? Drop in an electric drive and all of the problems go away, for now anyway ;)
someone will make a complaint about them too. if batterys leaks into water. where to dispose junk lipo batterys and so on. give them time to come up with somthing. proublem is we got to many crybabys in the world. people needs to grow a set of nuts and man up.lol

OK, This is a build thread. Can we get back to this before it becomes a feud again?

No intensions on my part to start one so by all means, give us more on the boats. I'd love to see that one you posted the video of with final paint on it :)

Cool cool. I will be keeping up with Merv's build for sure. He is out of town for a little while, so I think when he gets back, he will be getting the paint on it. Mike

yes, about the build. What did you ever do about the "divot" in the top of the sponson? not the curve on the outside edge but the divot.

Have you gotten that far to show how this is put together?

let me know. I am about that far on the frame kit I got.

thanks.

Bob, you gotta have that dip down to create the top deck correctly. You will just roll your decking across it and clamp. It should leave the deck with a mild curve in that area. Its not as difficult as you are thinking it is! Mike

in post #33 in the second pic on the right side of the pic you can see what I am talking about. this will make a crease that the deck does not have because it has a bird in flight shape. unless I am wrong here? do have your deck on yet? if you lay a piece of ply over it will be slightly curved or form in the crease?

PERFECT example Mr. Phil! Thank you for the reference.

in that very same pic look at the deck where the "B" for budweiser is located.

The frame kit will put a dent in this area. the curve on the edge is expected and clearly understood.... real boat right side... our boats left side.

but the deck on the real T6 does not have the bird in flight divot.

that is my question.

Bob, Just shape in some Basswood that can lay on top of that divot and get it how you need it. When Roger drew the originals, he was thinking that way too. The problem with that area, is there is no real good way to get that transition from sponson top deck to non trip top deck. I studied it for days trying to figure it out, and felt what Roger did was probably the best way to make it work. Its just one of those things you have to eyeball till you get it how you need it. Mike

Bob, Just shape in some Basswood that can lay on top of that divot and get it how you need it. When Roger drew the originals, he was thinking that way too. The problem with that area, is there is no real good way to get that transition from sponson top deck to non trip top deck. I studied it for days trying to figure it out, and felt what Roger did was probably the best way to make it work. Its just one of those things you have to eyeball till you get it how you need it. Mike
Mike wondering how many different hulls the T6 kit makes. Also is this the gas 20% over 1/8 you are building Im thinking on maybe building one of your kits it would be the 20% over 1/8, your work looks awesome by the way.

Unclecrash, The T6 framing can be used to make a lot of the modern hulls running right now. I have this kit available in both 1/8th scale and the "20% over" Gas scale. Thanks, Mike

Back