Struts on Sport40's (IMPBA)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sport 20, sport 40, 1/8 scale.all or most have a after plain of 60% of the over all lenght of the hull may be the rules should stait( my opinion) that the strut should be no farther back than 60-65% of the after plain,so to keep the hulls some what equal with the choise of under or behinded the transom.that would help or Canada freinds,that have recest transoms.this is a drivers class, if you can't back off the throutel, get a rigger!!.there is a differents between the two setups,i stay on pipe easyer with a larger prop,with a 3inch long strut on the back of the transum. P.S drive smart and you will finish a race and place.
OH PLEASE, Dont try to come up with all those detailed rules. Leave it alone, dont fix it , it aint broke!

You guys all sit in your corner of the boating world and worry about what the others are doing, I dont think the Quebec guys are too worried about what the rules are, they are happy with what they have and are doing.

Sport 40 works cause someone can get one together and not worry about a lot of fussy rules like scale.

The boats all seem to be competive with one another, that what brings intrest to the class. If someone feels that thay have to be the fastest and win first all the time they probally wont go for a sport boat for long.

Sport boats are not dying out, people do get other intrests and do other things and the way the world is now some dont have the cash to devote to hobby like this.

Promote the class of boats you like and promote the races you have and the boaters will show up.

PHIL

The sport 40 class is not "in trouble", it has, like others, pockets of popularity in different areas. This is still one of the biggest classes @ the Internats year in & year out.

Don F

How many boaters from Canada are you really talking about, and would they really come to our races, or are you just hoping that if you change the rules they will come? Think "Field of Dreams". Besides, changing the rules to pacify a few boaters in Canada would do little for the rest of the country.

Chuck Gardiner

THese are some good points

PHIL

Last edited by a moderator:
sport 20, sport 40, 1/8 scale.all or most have a after plain of 60% of the over all lenght of the hull may be the rules should stait( my opinion) that the strut should be no farther back than 60-65% of the after plain,so to keep the hulls some what equal with the choise of under or behinded the transom.that would help or Canada freinds,that have recest transoms.this is a drivers class, if you can't back off the throutel, get a rigger!!.there is a differents between the two setups,i stay on pipe easyer with a larger prop,with a 3inch long strut on the back of the transum. P.S drive smart and you will finish a race and place.
OH PLEASE, Dont try to come up with all those detailed rules. Leave it alone, dont fix it , it aint broke!

You guys all sit in your corner of the boating world and worry about what the others are doing, I dont think the Quebec guys are too worried about what the rules are, they are happy with what they have and are doing.

Sport 40 works cause someone can get one together and not worry about a lot of fussy rules like scale.

The boats all seem to be competive with one another, that what brings intrest to the class. If someone feels that thay have to be the fastest and win first all the time they probally wont go for a sport boat for long.

Sport boats are not dying out, people do get other intrests and do other things and the way the world is now some dont have the cash to devote to hobby like this.

Promote the class of boats you like and promote the races you have and the boaters will show up.

PHIL

The sport 40 class is not "in trouble", it has, like others, pockets of popularity in different areas. This is still one of the biggest classes @ the Internats year in & year out.

Don F

How many boaters from Canada are you really talking about, and would they really come to our races, or are you just hoping that if you change the rules they will come? Think "Field of Dreams". Besides, changing the rules to pacify a few boaters in Canada would do little for the rest of the country.

Chuck Gardiner

THese are some good points

PHIL
I myself like Teddy am a very laid back person and having a little fun with this, dont mean to upset anybody just havin some fun, oh wounder what it would be like living in a world without change, maybe we all would be driving 1975 Chevy Vegas . and thats no fun. see just kiddin chuck

I myself like Teddy am a very laid back person and having a little fun with this, dont mean to upset anybody just havin some fun, oh wounder what it would be like living in a world without change, maybe we all would be driving 1975 Chevy Vegas . and thats no fun. see just kiddin chuck

HI I know that more fun less stress Nice to see so much intrest in sport 40 boats.

75 VEGAS :angry: :lol: :lol:

PHIL

My brother HAD a Vega, bought it new! :eek: Can't imagine what he was thinking...

Teddyd.........." ALL THE LIPPING I DO IS ALL FOR FUN, NOW WHEN WE MEET ON THE RACE COURSE :D I PUT ON A DIFFERANCE HAT, "

I've seen that "DIFFERANCE HAT" :huh: first hand! :blink: it should be a friggin helmet!! :p

Fire him up guys!! He's drives better when he's motivated!! :unsure: :lol:

My quote for the day...."if it ain't broke......don't fix it!!!

enough already......let's go racin!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Dan

I was the Scale/Sport 40 Director for many years in District 1. The guys in Quebec are happy doing their ''own'' thing when it comes to Sport 40 and their Scales (which are really 1/8th scales of Grand Prix boats). Their boats are fast, beautiful and they do take the sport serious. The reality is that if IMPBA were to change the rule, it would only attract a very limited number of racers (if any) to IMPBA. One year in District 1 we adjusted the rules in Scale and Sport 40 in hopes the guys from Quebec would want to come and race. It never happened!!!

On a personal note, I would like to see the rule give the Sport 40 racer the option where he or she wants to mount their strut. This is not to try and get a few more boater in Quebec to join IMPBA. It is just my own personal preference. Until the majority wants a change, the rule should stay as is.

Thanks ....................... Randy

I will write a proposal to give the racer an option of strut placement...that is all. Hull rules will not and should not change.

This change will not have more boats finish races

This change will not get more people to run Sport40

This change will not increase the speeds of Sport40

This change will make strut adjustments and strut assembly easier

brian

Hi everyone!

It's a pleasure to see this subject again!

Just to let you all know, we are about 15 ACTIVE boaters with sport 40 hydro in Quebec with another 10-15 sleepy boaters... We all run with the strut 'WHERE WE WANT' but because real boats buider like Paul Pigeon give us a lots of help to do RC boats, we almost all have the strut bolt on the back of the boat.

But like i said we won't care about that! This hobby is so 'underground' that we think that we cannot use rules that will let someone out for a while. The first thing we say to a interesting boaters is WELCOME!...and not : can you show me your boat ...to see if you can play with us!!! oh sorry but the size of the %/$?&?/""/$ is 1/8 to large or the other thing at the end of your boat is not bolt at THE GOOD place B) ;)

YES we have rules, but those rules are primarily to help the boaters to get in a specific classes (hydro 60, hydro 40, hydro 21, tunnel....etc) within each classes there is specific rules about the engine, lenght, width, security and so on but if you want to bolt your engine at 1 inches from the end or put a Barbie instead of Ken...we will only laught and appreciate your presence at the lake :D It's a game, playing, having fun and good competition in a safe way is the MOST important thing to keep in mind...

In Quebec there is a bunch of about 30 ACTIVE boaters who run boats in different classes, it's a truth that we won't all cross the border or travel in Ontarion to run with you but i'm sure that 5-10 boaters will regroup for bigs events that are not so far to get and will run with you!

At this time our hydro boats are not 'legal' in IMPBA or NAMBA, so everyone will understand that we cannot go with these organizations...for now...

I think that analyzing this discussion with numbers of Canadian boaters who will be 'happy' or will travel outside Quebec is not focussing on the right thing to credit or not this subject!

But WHY these organizations (IMPBA and NAMBA) are so AFRAID of letting the boaters choose from some parameters that will not put more 'danger' or 'advantage for a brandmark or so' ... we are not talking about restriction that will affect the actual boaters or boats we are talking about let THOSE WHO WANT the strut on the transom try it! It's a easy decision and you won't loose any boaters with that!

Thank's to all and HAPPY boating!

Bonjour Marc.

Your club logo has the strut mounted under the hull. :eek:

You might want to change that. LOL. :lol:

I hope one day that the IMPBA Sport 40 rules change and District 1 will get some Quebec influence.

Thanks ................ Randy

Hi everyone!

It's a pleasure to see this subject again!

Just to let you all know, we are about 15 ACTIVE boaters with sport 40 hydro in Quebec with another 10-15 sleepy boaters... We all run with the strut 'WHERE WE WANT' but because real boats buider like Paul Pigeon give us a lots of help to do RC boats, we almost all have the strut bolt on the back of the boat.

But like i said we won't care about that! This hobby is so 'underground' that we think that we cannot use rules that will let someone out for a while. The first thing we say to a interesting boaters is WELCOME!...and not : can you show me your boat ...to see if you can play with us!!! oh sorry but the size of the %/$?&?/""/$ is 1/8 to large or the other thing at the end of your boat is not bolt at THE GOOD place B) ;)

YES we have rules, but those rules are primarily to help the boaters to get in a specific classes (hydro 67, hydro 45, hydro 21, tunnel....etc) within each classes there is specific rules about the engine, lenght, width, security and so on but if you want to bolt your engine at 1 inches from the end or put a Barbie instead of Ken...we will only laught and appreciate your presence at the lake :D It's a game, playing, having fun and good competition in a safe way is the MOST important thing to keep in mind...

In Quebec there is a bunch of about 30 ACTIVE boaters who run boats in different classes, it's a truth that we won't all cross the border or travel in Ontarion to run with you but i'm sure that 5-10 boaters will regroup for bigs events that are not so far to get and will run with you!

At this time our hydro boats are not 'legal' in IMPBA or NAMBA, so everyone will understand that we cannot go with these organizations...for now...

I think that analyzing this discussion with numbers of Canadian boaters who will be 'happy' or will travel outside Quebec is not focussing on the right thing to credit or not this subject!

But WHY these organizations (IMPBA and NAMBA) are so AFRAID of letting the boaters choose from some parameters that will not put more 'danger' or 'advantage for a brandmark or so' ... we are not talking about restriction that will affect the actual boaters or boats we are talking about let THOSE WHO WANT the strut on the transom try it! It's a easy decision and you won't loose any boaters with that!

Thank's to all and HAPPY boating!
WEE WEE

:D :D :D Randy, our logo was made with a starting picture of a very very very old boat ;) :p

By the way, if some boaters around the world would like to join us at our provincial championship, the second part (first part was done in july) will be held on 12-13 of august! We will be 20-30 local racers!

EVERYONE with a decent boat will get a place on the starting grid :)

The championship will be at Rigaud, near Valleyfield and Montreal! The races begin at 10 am and finish at 5-6 pm. There is some places for tent and we can find some other places for wanabago or motel, hotel...

We will do a party saturday evening with beers, corn...etc

A call or a private mail will be appreciated before!

Welcome, Bienvenue!

:D :D :D Randy, our logo was made with a starting picture of a very very very old boat ;) :p

By the way, if some boaters around the world would like to join us at our provincial championship, the second part (first part was done in july) will be held on 12-13 of august! We will be 20-30 local racers!

EVERYONE with a decent boat will get a place on the starting grid :)

The championship will be at Rigaud, near Valleyfield and Montreal! The races begin at 10 am and finish at 5-6 pm. There is some places for tent and we can find some other places for wanabago or motel, hotel...

We will do a party saturday evening with beers, corn...etc

A call or a private mail will be appreciated before!

Welcome, Bienvenue!
Marc glad you guys over there are paying attention to whats happening over here. SEE told ya chuck

''WEE WEE'' is spelt ''OUI OUI''

WOW ..... my high school french is coming in handy. :p
yeah I know now, I had a hard time staying focused in High School. Raging hormones!!!

Back