Struts on Sport40's (IMPBA)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Blazer

Supporting Member
In my old age, I can't remember if there has ever been a ballot to move the struts to the transom. It is so much nicer having them on the transom...the limited style boats have their struts on the transom. In my opinion, the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.

Brian

I don't want to get into the discussion...just curious if there has ever been a proposal. I may write one up just for the fact it is so much easier and cleaner.

Brian

I would like to see this happen , so we can introduce some of the boats from Canada that are using this method, also since we are kinda on the subject , I also would like to see hull bottom and transom change, such as full tunnels and transoms cutouts , like the boat that Eric Gadoury builds up in Canada. these boats look the most like real boats out there, also the new real hydros are mounting the strut on transoms and have full tunnels and cutouts, I see advantage in this methhod, heres one, with the new more powerful engines being built these days the hulls are becomming overpowered and having a hard time staying down on water without blowing off, if your boat starts flipping over and over again it take away from the fun of racing and if your new to sport you can become fustrated in a hurry and maybe give up , we dont need that in this sport, also this slows down the racing program when the retrive boat is going out to pick up all the sport 40,s all over the track, Hulls with cutouts also , anything we can do to make the sport better I,m for it. has long it looks like the real thing and not just a skinned rigger . This problem happend some time back when dragboat engines horsepower jumped by leaps and bounds and the hull could not keep up with the new added HP. it almost killed the sport . I know I was there, Blown Gas Flatbottom Champion 88,89,90,91 ADBA , My point is its alot more fun to drive the boat back to you, than standing there waiting for the retrive boat. anything to improve the sport should taken into consideration, I,m with you Brian. I am not trying to change the world , just something to think about!!! Chuck

Personally I like the rules just the way they are. Sure there can be benifits to changing them, but heck there are benifits to doing lots of things that can in the end kill ya.

My 2.5 cents worth

I am new to sport 40 and love the class they way it is.

Brian Nelsen

I STARTED RACING MODEL BOATS BACK IN THE LATE 70'S. WE WERE RUNNIG OUR ENGINES

WITH 4 INCH OPEN HEADERS. IMPBA MADE IT MANDATORY TO RUN TUNED PIPES. ALL THE

RACERS GOT UPSET, THEY DID NOT WANT TO PUT TUNED PIPES ON THEIR BOATS. EVERYONE

SAID IT WOULD MADE TUNING THE BOATS TO HARD, WELL......LOOK AT US NOW!

THE PROBLEM WITH MOST BOAT RACERS, WE DON'T LIKE CHANGING THINGS. WE ARE DOING

THING THE SAME WAY IT WAS DONE 25 YEARS AGO. I RACED INBOARDS FOR 10 YEARS AND

ONE OF THE PROBLEMS WAS, NO ONE WANTED THE MAKE CHANGES. SPORT 40 IS THE 7 LITRE

INBOARD CLASS, SOME 7 LITRES AND 5 LITRES HAVE THE STRUT MOUNTED ON THE TRANSOM.

IT' TAKE LESS TIME AND WORK TO MOUNT A STRUT ON THE TRANSOM AND MAKE ADJUSTING THE

STRUT A SNAP.

WHY DO WE ALLWAYS PUT LIMITS NO OURSELFS AND CLASSES WHEN CHANGE WILL MAKE THINGS BETTER. IF THERE WAS A COST FACTOR INVOLED THAT WOULD MAKE A DIFFERANCE. IF YOU WANTED,

YOU COULD MOVE THE STRUT FROM THE BOTTOM TO THE TRANSOM IN LESS THEN AN HOUR.

WE SHOULD DO WHAT'S BEST FOR THE CLASS OVERALL. THE STRUT SHOULD BE ON THE TRANSOM TO GIVE YOU A LONGER WHEELBASE TO MATCH THE HP OF THE ENGINES WE'RE NOW

RUNNING. I SAY LET MAKE A PROPOSAL TO PUT THE STRUT ON THE TRANSOM OR THE BOTTOM,

GIVE THE CLASS A CHOICE.............................TEDDY D.

Last edited by a moderator:
I STARTED RACING MODEL BOATS BACK IN THE LATE 70'S. WE WERE RUNNIG OUR ENGINES

WITH 4 INCH OPEN HEADERS. IMPBA MADE IT MANDATORY TO RUN TUNED PIPES. ALL THE

RACERS GOT UPSET, THEY DID NOT WANT TO PUT TUNED PIPES ON THEIR BOATS. EVERYONE

SAID IT WOULD MADE TUNING THE BOATS TO HARD, WELL......LOOK AT US NOW!

THE PROBLEM WITH MOST BOAT RACERS, WE DON'T LIKE CHANGING THINGS. WE ARE DOING

THING THE SAME WAY IT WAS DONE 25 YEARS AGO. I RACED INBOARDS FOR 10 YEARS AND

ONE OF THE PROBLEMS WAS, NO ONE WANTED THE MAKE CHANGES. SPORT 40 IS THE 7 LITRE

INBOARD CLASS, SOME 7 LITRES AND 5 LITRES HAVE THE STRUT MOUNTED ON THE TRANSOM.

IT' TAKE LESS TIME AND WORK TO MOUNT A STRUT THE TRANSOM AND MAKE ADJUSTING THE

STRUT A SNAP.

WHY DO WE ALLWAYS PUT LIMITS NO OURSELFS AND CLASSES WHEN CHANGE WILL MAKE THINGS BETTER. WE SHOULD DO WHAT'S BEST FOR THE CLASS OVERALL. THE STRUT SHOULD BE ON THE TRANSOM TO GIVE YOU A LONGER WHEELBASE TO MATCH THE HP OF THE ENGINES WE'RE NOW

RUNNING. I SAY LET MAKE A PROPOSAL TO PUT THE STRUT ON THE TRANSOM OR THE BOTTOM,

GIVE THE CLASS A CHOICE.............................TEDDY D.

Dude sorry did not mean to make you yell for a few paragraphs. I say ok if you want change lets see the proposal.

Brian Nelsen

BRIAN,

I'M NOT YELLING, I'M JUST SAYING GIVE THE CLASS A CHOICE, A STRUT MOUNTED ON THE TRANSOM IS NOT GOING TO KILL THE SPORT 40 CLASS. THIS IS JUST A FORUM TO TALK ABOUT WHAT'S ON OUR MINES. IF THE RULE PASSES GOOD, IF DON'T GOOD, WE'LL KEEP ON RACING.............TEDDY D.

Oh I thought that Jim Irwin was the only one who did that.

Well lets see a proposal.

Brian
I can tell you this, The River City Racing Club drew up the rules along time ago. Our intent was parity and at the time scale boats ran them under the boat. I guess next we need to add canards too the class. Hey and while we are at it lets put the struts on scale boats out back 2,nowdays they run them that way. The class is working fine as it is why monkey with it. This class has been around for 25 years do you want everyone to have to change there setup because some think its easier or faster. You can throw a blanket over the top 5 boats in our dist seems to be plenty close racing.......Mike

I SAY LET'S TAKE A VOTE, AT SOME POINT ANY AND EVERYTHING WILL CHANGE. YOU SAID IT ALL,IT'S BEEN THE SAME FOR 25 YEARS. DESIGN AND TECH GOSE HAND IN HAND. WE'RE NOT ASKING TO CHANGE THE HULL DESIGN, JUST HAVE THE CHOICE OF BOTTOM OR TRANSOM FOR THE STRUT. I'M NOT LOOKING FOR MORE SPEED, I WON DIST. 2 SPORT 40 LAST YEAR, MYSELF AND A FEW OTHERS THINK SOME BOATS WILL HANDLE BETTER WITH THE STRUT ON THE TRANSOM. A BETTER HANDLING BOAT IS A SAFER BOAT.

THERE ARE GUYS THAT WOULD LIKE TO RUN THE BOATS BUILT BY OTHER BUILDERS THAT LOOKS JUST LIKE THE G.P.'S AND 7 LITRES WITH THE STRUT ON THE TRANSOM. MOVING THE STRUT WILL WORK FOR SOME AND NOT FOR OTHER, KINDA LIKE HAVING A REMOTE NEEDLE, EVERYONE DON'T RUN IT BUT YOU HAVE THAT CHOICE, IT'S HARD TO BELIEVE WE DO THIS FOR FREE!!!! :D :lol:

BRIAN,

I'M NOT YELLING, I'M JUST SAYING GIVE THE CLASS A CHOICE, A STRUT MOUNTED ON THE TRANSOM IS NOT GOING TO KILL THE SPORT 40 CLASS. THIS IS JUST A FORUM TO TALK ABOUT WHAT'S ON OUR MINES. IF THE RULE PASSES GOOD, IF DON'T GOOD, WE'LL KEEP ON RACING.............TEDDY D.
Leaving the class alone won't kill it either. I recently had to lower the strut on mine. It was a simple matter of loosening the bolt and pushing it down a bit. If there's no speed advantage of a transom mounted strut, what's the point? If there is a speed advantage, why do you want to make a change that would force people with existing boats to make modifications. Sport 40s are plenty fast as they are now, at least mine is, why mess with the class?

Here's a thought, why don't we focus our collective efforts on REAL issues like reducing noise and encouraging beginners? I think this would be much more productive than messing with an established class just for grins.

BRIAN,

Leaving the class alone won't kill it either. I recently had to lower the strut on mine. It was a simple matter of loosening the bolt and pushing it down a bit. If there's no speed advantage of a transom mounted strut, what's the point? If there is a speed advantage, why do you want to make a change that would force people with existing boats to make modifications. Sport 40s are plenty fast as they are now, at least mine is, why mess with the class?

Here's a thought, why don't we focus our collective efforts on REAL issues like reducing noise and encouraging beginners? I think this would be much more productive than messing with an established class just for grins.
no would be forced to anything it would just be a matter of chioce

Hi Teddy D. I also raced inboards. What class did you race? What years?

We voted on the transom mounted strut in NAMBA two years ago and it did not pass.

Perry

HI PERRY,

I RACED 5 LITRE FROM 1985 TO 1989

7 LITRE FROM 1989 TO 1993

GRAND PRIX 1993 TO 1995

I QUIT IN 1996, IT WAS TIME TO QUIT DRIVING AWAY AFTER A FEW HARD CRASHES.

WE STILL HAVE MY 7 LITRE, WE RUN THE LOCAL RACES BUT I DON'T DRIVE ANY MORE.

I DO MOST OF THE TUNING ON THE BOAT AND CAL PHIPPS IS THE DRIVER.

CHUCK SPRAGG AND I TALKED ABOUT THE STRUT ON THE TRANSOM 3 MONTHS AGO.

I TOLD HIM AT THAT TIME TO TRYING TO MAKE THAT CHANGE TO THE CLASS WOULD

BE AN UPHILL BATTLE. I TOLD HIM TO JUST GET A GUN AND SHOOT HIMSELF IN THE FOOT

RIGHT NOW AND GET OVER THE PAIN. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

HEY CHUCK, I TOLD YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CHUCK SPRAGG AND I TALKED ABOUT THE STRUT ON THE TRANSOM 3 MONTHS AGO.

I TOLD HIM AT THAT TIME TO TRYING TO MAKE THAT CHANGE TO THE CLASS WOULD

BE AN UPHILL BATTLE. I TOLD HIM TO JUST GET A GUN AND SHOOT HIMSELF IN THE FOOT

RIGHT NOW AND GET OVER THE PAIN. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

HEY CHUCK, I TOLD YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So Chuck hows your foot doing????

Back