Struts on Sport40's (IMPBA)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eric's boat would still be illegal b/c of the air trap width. I am not going to change the hull rules...that opens up a large can of worms.

A properly set up sport40 shouldn't blow off, regardless where the strut is. I don't think putting the strut on the transom will have more boats finish. Sure it makes the boat act longer, but you must fly the boat to get speed.

Brian

If the truth be known. The struts mounted on the transom in the real boats more than likely comes from us model boaters. It is like the use of rear sponsons on the newer real boats. In the earlier days all struts where mounted under the boat. All of the struts that made were of this type. Most were made of brass and could be bought in differant angles and shaft sizes. Of course our own rules were based on these types of struts in the early years. Only until the flex shaft came along in our boats that the strut started to be mounted to the transom. Now you see the big boats with there struts mounted on the transom and even thou there shafts are still solid they have made couplings that will allow for angle ajustments of the strut. Now you say you want to change the rules. It really makes no differents where the place the strut under the boat or on the transom. It may help some boats and it may hurt others. And yes it may be easier for boaters that are new or not that good with building boats. But to say that the big boats do this is to be like a dog chasing it's tail.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
If you guys that are reading and have comments would go to members gallery then to user,s galleries then to page 5 and look at Eric Gadoury gallery and page 9 at Marc Pages gallery and tell me that you would not let those boats run in this class, they look like the real deal , remember the objective is to try to get boat more stable, moving strut will not make the prop spin one RPM faster just more stable
I dont know what the objective is,this class as is works well. Find something else to change that needs fixxed. If your blowing off your sport 40 make adjustment or put an air dam under it, works for me......
Hi Mikey just what kind of speed are getting out of your 40 , air dam is another good idea. No i,m not having a problem with mine blowing off yet.. but I only run a x450 prop to keep the speed down, yes theres more there I run a Steve Peterson modified CMB greenhead, with this setup the boat is just attaining the speed where the boat becomes slightly unstable, I have used a 452 and half to pull throttle back . I know this class is a drivers class and we should use restraint when racing , but how many guys letoff when in the heat of things its go for broke, for those that dont think that the class has grown smaller your fooling yourself , example, My first year in sport 40 maybe second year there were 33 sport 40,s entered at the London summer sizzler that Mike Hallum had. Thats 7 rounds of 40 racing. now in Dist 2 we have on a good race 8,10 , maybe 12 entrys at most. and I am not trying to say that its because no strut on transom rule, What i am trying to come across with is if you can get more boats to the finish line and back to shore thats where the fun is, if its fun it will grow. still not trying to change the world as we know it YET LOL thanks chuck

Eric's boat would still be illegal b/c of the air trap width. I am not going to change the hull rules...that opens up a large can of worms.

A properly set up sport40 shouldn't blow off, regardless where the strut is. I don't think putting the strut on the transom will have more boats finish. Sure it makes the boat act longer, but you must fly the boat to get speed.

Brian
Yeah it would a 64oz can I guess I just like the boats he builds, the more they look like real the more I like em ps sorry about mishap you and I had at your race in the heat of things just couldnt lift, Its a boat racing thing chuck

Brian
Yeah it would a 64oz can I guess I just like the boats he builds, the more they look like real the more I like em ps sorry about mishap you and I had at your race in the heat of things just couldnt lift, Its a boat racing thing chuck
Just one more thing , how many posts does take to get past the newbe thing I hate that. not new to sport just to forum

I THINK A NEW BOATER THE THE SPORT WOULD FIND IT A LOT EASIER TO DRILL 4 HOLES IN THE TRANSOM AND MOUNT THE STRUT OPPOSE TO .................
I can't recall ever seeing someone start out boating with a sport 40................ :rolleyes:
MY KID RUN NOVICE, HE HAS A PT SPORT 40, THAT THE CLASS HE LIKES AND WANT TO RACE. I GOT OUT OF RC RACING 1981. WHEN I GOT BACK INTO IN 2002 MY FIRST BOAT WAS A PT SPORT 40.

I THINK A NEW BOATER THE THE SPORT WOULD FIND IT A LOT EASIER TO DRILL 4 HOLES IN THE TRANSOM AND MOUNT THE STRUT OPPOSE TO .................
I can't recall ever seeing someone start out boating with a sport 40................ :rolleyes:
MY KID RUN NOVICE, HE HAS A PT SPORT 40, THAT THE CLASS HE LIKES AND WANT TO RACE. I GOT OUT OF RC RACING 1981. WHEN I GOT BACK INTO IN 2002 MY FIRST BOAT WAS A PT SPORT 40.
Getting back into racing, or having a father who also races, are both entirely different from a person who is new to boat racing.

YOU JUST SAID IT ALL,

A LOT OF THE BOATER WITH THE STRUT THRU THE BOTTOM HAVE THE STRUT BRACKET BOLTED TO THE TRANSOM. ALL WE'RE DOING IS FLIPPING THE BRACKET TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE TRANSOM. SO YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE A NEW BOATER CUT A HOLE IN THE BOTTOM OF THE BOAT AND MOUNT THE STRUT OR JUST BOLT IT TO THE BACK OF THE TRANSOM ?

YOU JUST SAID IT ALL,

A LOT OF THE BOATER WITH THE STRUT THRU THE BOTTOM HAVE THE STRUT BRACKET BOLTED TO THE TRANSOM. ALL WE'RE DOING IS FLIPPING THE BRACKET TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE TRANSOM. SO YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE A NEW BOATER CUT A HOLE IN THE BOTTOM OF THE BOAT AND MOUNT THE STRUT OR JUST BOLT IT TO THE BACK OF THE TRANSOM ?
My sport 40 runs in the mid 50s. 1455 with the tounges worked . If you are having trouble blowing off at high speed try this.......An inch back from the center section add a peice of windshield wiper blade my PT hull has a piece on each side of the belly and another an inch farther back try it you will be amazed Oh and you can see by my avatar my boats is aired out well,no it did not flip i won that heat....

My first boat was a Dumas Atlas Van lines sport 40, that I built myself :lol:

We have had quite a few guys start with sport 40s here, although most of them were used.

Brian

YOU JUST SAID IT ALL,

A LOT OF THE BOATER WITH THE STRUT THRU THE BOTTOM HAVE THE STRUT BRACKET BOLTED TO THE TRANSOM. ALL WE'RE DOING IS FLIPPING THE BRACKET TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE TRANSOM...
...thereby making a (potentially) significant change to the performance of the boat. If it's not a performance enhancement, why do (a few) people want to do it? To avoid the "difficulty" of cutting a hole? Read on...

SO YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE A NEW BOATER CUT A HOLE IN THE BOTTOM OF THE BOAT AND MOUNT THE STRUT OR JUST BOLT IT TO THE BACK OF THE TRANSOM ?
If a beginner, or anyone else, can't figure out how to accurately cut a bloody rectangle in the bottom of a boat then they have no business building up a sport 40, or any other hydro. Sorry to be so blunt, but you guys are making the task of cutting a little rectangle sound much harder than it is.

If a beginner, or anyone else, can't figure out how to accurately cut a bloody rectangle in the bottom of a boat then they have no business building up a sport 40, or any other hydro. Sorry to be so blunt, but you guys are making the task of cutting a little rectangle sound much harder than it is.
AMEN!!!!!! Especially when guys like Phil pre-mark the hole patterns for you. B)

BRIAN B,

LET'S PUT IT TO A VOTE, THAT WAY WE WILL SEE WHO REALLY WANTS IT. A LOT OF GUYS ARE WAITING TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS WITH THIS. IF IT PASSES OR IF DON'T, WE'LL ALL SHOW UP AT THE RACES EITHER WAY. A LOT PEOPLE THAT RACES IS SITTING BACK AND WAITING TO SEE WHAT ANY WAY. WE'VE ALL DONE THIS BEFORE AND WHEN IT CHANGES TO WHAT WE LIKE, WE JUMP IN DEEP. THIS JUST A QUESTION THAT BRIAN WAS LOOKING FOR AN ANSWER TO. FOR SOME REASON THIS DISCUSSION WENT RIGHT OFF THE MAP WITH A LOT OF COMMENTS THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MOVING A STRUT.

TO BE HONEST WITH YOU, THERE ARE RACERS THAT HAVE BEEN RACING FOR YEARS AND YEARS, AND STILL HAVE NOT FIGURE OUT THE TECH SIDE OF RACING. LET'S SAVE ALL THE LIP AND PUT IT TO A VOTE,

THAT'S THE FAIREST WAY HANDLE THIS.

THANK YOU ALL, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY..........TEDDY D.

BRIAN B,

LET'S PUT IT TO A VOTE, THAT WAY WE WILL SEE WHO REALLY WANTS IT. A LOT OF GUYS ARE WAITING TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS WITH THIS. IF IT PASSES OR IF DON'T, WE'LL ALL SHOW UP AT THE RACES EITHER WAY. A LOT PEOPLE THAT RACES IS SITTING BACK AND WAITING TO SEE WHAT ANY WAY...
The thought that "a lot of people" are even thinking about this issue seems far fetched. I suspect most people who currently own a sport 40 just want the rules to stay the same. Those who are thinking about building a sport 40 are most likely NOT losing any sleep over that oh-so-difficult-to-cut rectangle! :D

I still assert that finding a way to get and keep new people, such as those who show up with RTR boats like the new Miss Vegas, is a MUCH MORE SERIOUS issue. It's kind of sad to think that you would force the organization to waste our time debating strut placement on an existing class instead of looking for ways to grow our membership.

NO, ALL THE RULE WE HAVE CAME BY WAY OF VOTE. SO I GUEST IT'S SAD WE TOOK THE TIME TO VOTE AT ALL. HOW IS ASKING FOR A VOTE THAT YOU DON'T LEAVE YOUR HOUSE TO MAKE IS A PROBLEM ?AND TO STATE THAT WE'RE FORCING SOMETHING ON ANYONE IS WRONG. IF YOU WANT TO KEEP THE RULE AS IT IS THEN VOTE AGAINST IT, THAT YOUR RIGHT AS WELL AS MY RIGHT TO VOTE FOR IT. I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU FEEL THAT SUBMITTING A PROPROSAL TO IMPBA IS A WASTE OF THE ORGANIZATION TIME, THAT'S WHY WE HAVE IMPBA TO KEEP IT FAIR. BY THE WAY HOW DID WE GET ALL THE RULES THAT WE RUN UNDER TODAY? WHO CAME UP WITH THEM ? IF WE TOOK A VOTE FROM THIS FORUM TODAY, IT WOULD BE A CLOSE VOTE. CAST YOUR VOTE :) ..............AGAIN, THANK YOU AND HAVE A GREAT DAY.........TEDDY D.

NO, ALL THE RULE WE HAVE CAME BY WAY OF VOTE. SO I GUEST IT'S SAD WE TOOK THE TIME TO VOTE AT ALL. HOW IS ASKING FOR A VOTE THAT YOU DON'T LEAVE YOUR HOUSE TO MAKE IS A PROBLEM ?AND TO STATE THAT WE'RE FORCING SOMETHING ON ANYONE IS WRONG. IF YOU WANT TO KEEP THE RULE AS IT IS THEN VOTE AGAINST IT, THAT YOUR RIGHT AS WELL AS MY RIGHT TO VOTE FOR IT. I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU FEEL THAT SUBMITTING A PROPROSAL TO IMPBA IS A WASTE OF THE ORGANIZATION TIME, THAT'S WHY WE HAVE IMPBA TO KEEP IT FAIR. BY THE WAY HOW DID WE GET ALL THE RULES THAT WE RUN UNDER TODAY? WHO CAME UP WITH THEM ? IF WE TOOK A VOTE FROM THIS FORUM TODAY, IT WOULD BE A CLOSE VOTE. CAST YOUR VOTE :) ..............AGAIN, THANK YOU AND HAVE A GREAT DAY.........TEDDY D.
What you will be forcing is a discussion. That will take time that could be invested solving real problems and fixing rules that are really broken.

I HAVE A QUESTION ? WHY IS IT MANDATORY FOR 1/8 SCALE BOATS WITH A COCKPIT TO HAVE A WINDSHEILD WITH A DRIVER ? WHEN YOU CAN PAINT THE WINSHEILD ON THE COWL AND SAVE THE WORK. THAT A LOT OF EXTRA WORK TO DO KNOWING YOU CAN'T SEE THE DRIVER WHEN YOU'RE RACING.

I HAVE A QUESTION ? WHY IS IT MANDATORY FOR 1/8 SCALE BOATS WITH A COCKPIT TO HAVE A WINDSHEILD WITH A DRIVER ? WHEN YOU CAN PAINT THE WINSHEILD ON THE COWL AND SAVE THE WORK. THAT A LOT OF EXTRA WORK TO DO KNOWING YOU CAN'T SEE THE DRIVER WHEN YOU'RE RACING.
Haha....Teddy, I brought that up when I was Scale Director...boy did I get it!!!

This EXACT subject and discussion took place in NAMBA a couple of years ago. District 1 put it up for a National Vote. The EXACT SAME discussions took place. The EXACT SAME Canadian Racers were mentioned.

Many lobbyed for NO change, and Many lobbyed to change for the very reasons mentioned here, especially by Brian Blazer. It seemed like a toss up. Eric Bourlet and Mark Anderson actually tested the same boat with both setups, and to my knowledge, determined no speed advantage....just different adjustments needed on each setup, to achieve basically the same results, and to my recollection, the determination was that the transom mount had a slim advantage in "ease", but each hull design is deifferent, and will react different to each setup.

I personally run an AC Sport 40, strut underneath, and have no issues. I'm thrilled with the way it runs. I personally could care less, but voted for it.....thinking why not give boaters a choice.

Results of the national vote: It got shot down. The "underneath" voters lobbyed stronger.

Be careful with the wording of your rule proposal. The legnth will come into question, as to how long you can extend out the back.

The Namba D1 proposal had something mentioned around 4", and many believe thats what lost the vote.

Just some FYI. I hope this helps you guys out.

Dave

Latest posts

Back