Say a Prayer for Roger Newton

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spoke to David this afternoon and got an update I will pass along. Roger is at Valley General Hospital in Kent, WA. He is not seeing visitors except family and not taking phone calls. They tried to correct his issue with a "stint" (a spring that expands the blood vessel to let more blood through), that however proved unsuccessul. So they will have him rest for a few days to recover from that procedure and then most likely do a bypass.

While severe, heart bypasses have become almost routine these days. Both of my brothers had them last year, one was back to work in 30 days the other in three months. I am not medically trained nor do I know the specifics of Roger's condition, but I feel optimistic about his upcoming procedure. Luckily David had decided to move back home with Roger the end of this month anyway so Roger should have good care when he get's home. David is a really good kid.

I would expect him to be in the hospital through the weekend and then hope he has a truly spectacular and speedy recovery.

Last edited by a moderator:
My family and I are praying for you Roger.

But I also believe that we all have our own inner strength to heal. KICK THIS THINGS BUTT ROGER!!!

Bigbird

Hi Roger,

I'm sad to hear the bad news, I pray that you get better soon and get back on your feet doing the things you love to do.

Teddy D.

I second that Marc, Thanks Harry

David, is it okay to send cards or ? to the Czar? Also, tell him it won't be the same this weekend without him roaming the pits

Jeez i'm off coaching kids football for a couple of weeks and I check in to the board and this is what I read. Wow! I just talked to him last week before the race. Just for clarification guys the piece of hardware they tried to install is called a "stent". I used to see a lot of patients when I was a medic in the fire service. That and I thought I was going to get one myself 7 years ago but thankfully I didn't need one. Had to go through the whole angiogram procedure and boy did that suck. Got to watch the whole thing on the screen while they did it. I am not a big fan stents because I used to see a high recurrence of additional heart attacks or stroke following one being installed. That aspect has improved but still. They can only put one in if the blockage is below a certain percentage and hasn't hardened. In a way I'm glad they are opting for a bypass. My dad had a quadruple at the age of 77 and he was back up to normal speed in 3-4 weeks. Leaves a hell of a zipper line on your chest and your leg though.

Godspeed Roger and David keep me posted. I'll have the rest of his U13 stuff up there before he gets home.

David, I just got home and have read the news man, I will be sayin the prayers as well, and if there is anything you need please don't be afraid to ask, I will be up in the seattle area all week as I will be helping with Seafair preparations, Be strong and stay positive, Get well Roger.

David, my father went threw this 12 years ago stay strong I know it is hard. Get well soon Czar from the Prop Walker Model Boat Club of Madison Indiana

Guess word travels much faster then I thought. I went to post about my dad to let everyone know and there are already 9 posts, that is cool. He was submitted to the hospital last night, apparently he had the heart attack over the weekend in Tri-Cities. They worked for 4 hours to try and clear the valve and put in a stint but were unsuccessful as it was worse then they had originally thought and are waiting to possibly do a bypass. Right now he is stable and in the ICU. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers, I will try to update on his condition as soon as I can.
David, I know you have a lot of support over on the wetside, but if there is ANYTHING I can do for you guys please let me know what it is. In the meantime, I will be sending good thoughts to you and my Checkerboard Compadre. Randy

I just got home from the hospital and wanted to update everyone on my fathers confiton. He was moved from CCU to a normal hospital room today, so he is now accepting vistors but still not up for phone calls. The doctors want to let his heart rest and recover before a surgery, so we are looking to have the surgery in a week from Friday which he will be transfered to Overlake hopspital for. As he has one artery completly blocked, one partially and two branches blocked it will be a quadrulple bypass. I will keep everyone informed as it goes along, but right now he just has to rest until surgery time. He is coherent, talkative and worried about the boats lol, so his spirits are up. Sorry if I have not gotten back to anyone via email or phone, I have had many calls, it is kind of hard to keep track of, but I will try my best to keep everyone informed.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers. It means alot to myself, my family and my father to know that we have so many friends in and out of racing. I think my father and I are truly blessed with the community of people that we have met and made friends with because of hydroplane racing.

I just got home from the hospital and wanted to update everyone on my fathers confiton. He was moved from CCU to a normal hospital room today, so he is now accepting vistors but still not up for phone calls. The doctors want to let his heart rest and recover before a surgery, so we are looking to have the surgery in a week from Friday which he will be transfered to Overlake hopspital for. As he has one artery completly blocked, one partially and two branches blocked it will be a quadrulple bypass. I will keep everyone informed as it goes along, but right now he just has to rest until surgery time. He is coherent, talkative and worried about the boats lol, so his spirits are up. Sorry if I have not gotten back to anyone via email or phone, I have had many calls, it is kind of hard to keep track of, but I will try my best to keep everyone informed.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers. It means alot to myself, my family and my father to know that we have so many friends in and out of racing. I think my father and I are truly blessed with the community of people that we have met and made friends with because of hydroplane racing.

Great news David

Jim

Thanks David for keeping us advised. The members of the Space Coast Rudder Busters in Melbourne, FL send your Dad

our best for a successful operation and full recovery. We will be praying for your Dad as I for one know that prayer

works. God Bless Roger, you and the rest of your family. Perry

Back