Rod Geraghty Had a Stroke

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a little story about Rod:

In 2020 we staged a little club race in Eau Claire, Wi for the purpose of getting Rod out to see some boats.

I was very surprised when he told me that he had never actually driven a JAE hydro, hence an important purpose if the "race". So we put him in a lawn chair, fired up my 21 JAE and I handed him my TX. He had a great time driving it around the pond. As I recall, he was a bit rusty, but he got it to shore without a retrieve. Big smile on his face as he said: "that thing really does turn on a dime".

We, from Spain, are very saddened by this news, even though we did not know him personally... a great person, a noble and devoted soul. We pray to God for the rest of his soul and comfort for his family.

To honor Rod's memory, I am pledging as of today, to donate $5.00 from the sale of every Outlaw adapter sold during the month of March to the VietNam Veterans Of America. Rod was a veteran and a strong supporter of our troops. Since the Outlaw adapter was his brainchild, I feel this is a fitting tribute. Anyone wishing to donate directly can go to the VVOA website to do so. I encourage it.

Gentlemen,

I spoke with Rod a few weeks ago and we talked about his time in Nam, and he told me he knew God was real when he was spared while the guys next to him were taken over there. I am very sad he has left us, BUT I shared the gospel with him then by reading Romans 10:9-10 to him. It says: ...because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved. He told me he believed it, so now we celebrate his end of suffering and that he has gone home to glory to be with his Lord!
Jesus is Lord and God raised him from the dead... R.I.P Mr Rod

The last model boat project Rod was working on just before suffering the stroke was a 24" 3S Kneeler I built for him. Rod raced full size outboard hydroplanes while in high school and college. Rod spent a lot of time talking to me about his plans for this model. He had removed the graphics that came with the motor and make a Mercury appearing cowling. Rod was an amazing craftsman. While I was building this model he said, "Make those seams and joints tight Dunny. I don't want you slapping any body putty on this boat." His plans were to clear coat the model and then use black trim tape to accent the hull. Carol told me when things settle down she would return to the boat to me so I could finish it in honor of Rod. Like so many who have responded to this post, many, many wonderful memories of being with Rod or taking to him.
Dunny

What a great way to honor such a great guy. RIP Rod. You will be greatly missed.

This is actually from Paul Stirton, he texted me asking to post as where he currently is has crappy internet access-

We have lost a great one in Rod Geraghty. The man brought so much to the hobby and would share any and all knowledge with anyone in need of help. Reset in peace Rod.

Jesus is Lord and God raised him from the dead... R.I.P Mr Rod

Yep, Rod's dancing with Jesus right now!

He left quite a legacy in the model boat hobby. He taught Russ Nachweih his designs for 1/8th scale boats, who taught John Logan who taught me and others. For twenty five years in Unlimiteds Northwest the top ten boats in the points were almost exclusively based on Rod's designs. I still have a couple of sets of canoes in my shop based on this tried and true design.

Fred, I will match and possibly double your donation in Rod’s memory. Just let me know what the total is. Thanks
Ric,
Thank you for your response. I know that Rod would appreciate it as well. I will report the amount collected in a future post. If anyone would like to make a small donation, anonymously or not, they can send it to me for inclusion in the donation. You can use the "friends and family' option in Paypal and send it to me at [email protected]. It will be helpful if you say it it is "For Rod". Thanks.

We talked via telephone a number of times, and most of the time it was about K&B engines! He could put me in a great mood in about 15 seconds.....just loved talking with him! I still have a couple of his motors! Just a great guy and a real asset to the hobby...........this one REALLY hurt! Godspeed Rod.

Back