Running in an air compressor?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kez

I need a new compressor and have been reading the manuals online to look at the specifications etc Some manuals call for a break-in period prior to using it for the first time. The break-in procedure is to run teh compressor for 1/2 hour with the regulator open all the way up so air can flow freely.

Is this break-in procedure to clean the air (critical for spray painting) or to help the compressor preform much like we break in our engines? I never heard of breaking in a new compressor.

Also, can I set the spray gun pressure using the regulator on the compressor? Or do I need to put another regulator down stream?

Thanks,

kez

If it has rings it may need to run a break in to set the rings like in a car.As for spraing you want some thing to ger the water and any oil out .don't go cheap here the cleaner the air the better.and its better on air tools as well. I'm not a painter but the reg on the compressor should be ok.

I have to agree with Robert and Butch if you buy a ringed pump. IF you have an one of the oil free pumps, it's built with Teflon rings and bushings so it won't need running in or, at most, a very short run. If you buy a metal ringed pump, make sure you use a separator between the tank and your tool/gun. It will remove both water and oil from your air that can ruin both tools and a paint job. I learned all this when working at a shop that repairs compressors years ago

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not painted for a while but would mount a separate Oil/Water trap/Regulator under a bench near the compressor. At the gun I used a simple throttle like device to cut down air if needed.

I use a regulator on my gun. Easy to make little adjustments. It came with my gun. The gauge is horrible but the regulator works.

Mike

Latest posts

Back