Riggers from Japan

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dale

One of the things that scares me with an exhaust throttle is on a mono the exhaust system tends be open to crash damage, I remmember Justin Hill's boat being hit in Hunter Valley in 97, he could nut shut it down and had to drive into the weeds.

I have flipped my mono, it landed right way up but had the header pulled off the motor and was still running. With an exhaust throttle it would have gone lean and effectively full throttle till the engine goes bang. On a rigger the pipes dont stick out the back.

Ian.

Ian,

Thats racing! thing can and will go wrong! espically in x mono!!

ill shoot you over this 9B for you to try

Geewhiz! You Auzzies are just having a hayday with my thread. Looks like you are getting all excited about the up coming race. Good luck to you all. Bye the way. when is it?

Hammer

Hey Hammer,

We have taken over the thread! Should be riggers from Australia! HA HA HA.

The Nationals are on the 27th - 31st December at the best venue I have ever seen! Check it out here www.regattacentre.com.au

Tim.

Wow! That is a pretty cool place. We held are nationals at a boat racing schools practice course. It was really nice, too. Doesn't come close to the place you will have your nats at.

Hammer

School? What? You have a school for boat racing?

Yes, we do.

In Japan "Kyoutei" is the name of the sport. It is kind of like horse racing in the states. Except they use monoplanes with Yamato 500s strapped to the back.

They have huge stadiums were people watch and gamble for WIN SHOW or PLACE. Just like horse racing. These drivers are nuts in the head. I will try to attach a video, but it may not work. Check it out.

The school where the drivers learn there skills is in Nagoya. It is kind of like military boot camp in the states. They young drivers, women and men, go through years of vigorous training to become racers. They get slapped around a lot in the process.

Anyway, this is where we have been holding our nats for the last 2 years.

Video link:

http://www.amagasaki.gr.jp

It didn't work. You have to click the above URL and when the page opens, click the dark blue button next to the photograph of the stadium building. Then you will be able to see it. There will be R1 thru R12 buttons on top of the media player. Those are the numbers of the races. You can watch all of them if you want. Get out the popcorn

Hammer

In 1985 I had the honor of sitting next to Chip Hanauer on a flight from Seattle to Los Angeles. He was scarred all over

his face. I have seen a lot of the drivers in Japan on TV. They look about the same, but I have never seen them crash on TV. Must do all of their crashing when they are training. By the time they finish training, they are too good to crash. At the races, they have a rescue boat and an ambulance parked there ready to go, but I have never seen either of them used in an emergency. I don't know exactly how fast they go, but in RC boats have challenged them in the past and won. I imagine they go about 120Kph.

They have a festival on July 20th (OCEAN APPRECIATION DAY) at that festival, the JMPBA sponsored outrigger, challenged the real boat to a 5 lap race and won easily.

Hammer

Hammer,

Hmm, I guess that is good reason to stay with the models (I have only had a few stitches and scars from them!). But it still looks like great fun, thanks for the info!

Ian.

those videos are so cool! i wish we had that in the states!

and the rc boat beat them!! :eek:

Put it in your favorite! They change the videos every week after they have races. They ones you saw were held just last Sunday.

Hammer

do they have different boat/engine classes or does everyone run the same thing?

anywhere to see good boat pics?

Try this one! www.suminoe.gr.jp

Click the button under the picture that has blue characters on it, and you will be able to see races at another race lake.

As far as boats and classes. They only use one engine and one type of boat. They drivers don't own them. They only thing the driver owns is the propellor. They are given their boat just before the race by a lottery. It is a gambling sport, so they want to keep it entirely a driver skill game.

They do have a ladies league, but the good ladies run with the men.

The engines are 2cylinder Yamato 500. They are stock.

I'm not sure about the boats, but they are all the same color and shape

I think one reason that the RC Boat beat it, is because the real boat had to run against it's torque. When they normally race, they only turn left, where RC boats only turn right.

As far as boat pics, click around the buttons on either of the URLs, and you will find pics of the boats and drivers.

Hammer

Hammer,

Can you get me the measurement from the prop to the trailing edge of the front sponson on a 90 rigger?

Thanks

-MikeP

It's time for a Hammerhead 90 in America. I am calling Carbcom today for supplies. I just can't get into wood hulls anymore.

-Mike

how's that .21 doing mike..... I havent heard about it much lately.... what speeds/handling are you getting? I know it is more of a japanese style design.... hows it doing racing with more american designs?

any more pics of that cool CF boat

oh yea.... one more question. what tools do you use to cut it..... like the hatch openings and stuff?

Tom,

You can cut carbon fibre in moulded or unmoulded form with whatever you use for cutting fibre glass. Often I use a dremel for cutting holes in cowls or trimming decks etc.

Ian.

Back