OT: Guide to setting up and EBAY account for selling stuff

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan_Cousin

I have an ebay account and a paypal account. My paypal account is linked only to my credit card because I like the two layers of fraud protection. I've been using this for a while now with no problems.

Now I'd like to sell a few small > $100 items, so I need to setup my Ebay account as a seller and setup paypal to receive money.

As Justin Wilson would ask. "na how do i did that?"

Dan,

since your Ebay account is already created your ready to start selling, nothing to upgrade or change for Ebay.

if you have a personal Paypal account, upgrade it to a premier account, this is free of charge and no limits on withdraw and receiving money.

Also others can pay you with there credit cards if you have the Premier account.

That would be it, even with the regular account that you have anyone can send you money, your Paypal account is your email address that you have when you first set it up.

if I wanted to send you 5 bucks for whatever reasons to your account all I need is your Paypal ID address (not your password) for example [email protected]

ok

Dan

if you want you can call me @ 1-506-357-8214.

Dan,
since your Ebay account is already created your ready to start selling, nothing to upgrade or change for Ebay.

if you have a personal Paypal account, upgrade it to a premier account, this is free of charge and no limits on withdraw and receiving money.

Also others can pay you with there credit cards if you have the Premier account.
Before changing to a premier account, it's important to understand that it means Paypal will take $ out of every payment you receive. This is not the case with a personal account. It's up to the individual to decide whether being able to receive credit payments is worth the 3% or so fee that Paypal will take from EVERY transaction.

I've stuck with a personal account and it has worked fine for occasional selling. I just make sure I don't go over the monthly limit, which was $500 last time I checked. On occasion someone will ask to sent a credit card payment. If they really want to do this, I ask if they are willing to pay the fee and then have them pay through my wife's account, which has to be premier due to the volume of stuff she sells per month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your right Chuck, I too was using the personal account for a long time without any problems, but a few years back I decided to upgrade to the Premier.

Basically, Dan, you don't have to do any changes to any of your accounts, your ready to go.

Dan.

Great!

so any money received (even from creditcards) would be placed into my paypal cash account (money market) and I'd get it with a request form from the paypal website (like I said I haven't linked a bank account). As infrequently as I would use this (for now) the personal account should be fine. may upgrade later.

Thanks for the response guys. Ebay and Paypal have instrutions on their webside but its' always good to hear from folks that have actually done it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great!
so any money received (even from creditcards) would be placed into my paypal cash account (money market) and I'd get it with a request form from the paypal website (like I said I haven't linked a bank account). As infrequently as I would use this (for now) the personal account should be fine. may upgrade later.
Yes, except remember that there is a large fee on the credit card transactions and you can only accept 5 per year.

One other observation. I have a linked bank account. As soon as a payment shows up in my Paypal account I transfer it to my bank account. I trust Paypal, to a point, but I want my money out of their control as soon as possible.

I do the same thing,

My Paypal is also linked to my bank account, when I have more than $150 I transfer to my bank account (why 150, because there is no fee above 150 and a fee of .50 cents below 150).

sometimes I wait to have a little more than transfer 150 and keep the rest to spend.

Dan.

Great!
Yes, except remember that there is a large fee on the credit card transactions and you can only accept 5 per year.

One other observation. I have a linked bank account. As soon as a payment shows up in my Paypal account I transfer it to my bank account. I trust Paypal, to a point, but I want my money out of their control as soon as possible.

Thanks guys, I'll keep that in mind

I only have one checking account and that one is pretty busy with bill payments. Last thing I need is a paypal hichup or fraud causing trouble. I guess I could setup a seperate checking account especially for paypal (like a Washington Mutual no minimum balance checking or something) but haven't gotten around to doing that yet.

5 credit card transastions a year seems kind of light. might have to look into the premier account.

Are there any account fees on the premier account (besides the credit card surcharges) that are not on the presonal account?

If there are not extra fees why isn't the default account a premier?

Great!

Thanks guys, I'll keep that in mind

I only have one checking account and that one is pretty busy with bill payments. Last thing I need is a paypal hichup or fraud causing trouble. I guess I could setup a seperate checking account especially for paypal (like a Washington Mutual no minimum balance checking or something) but haven't gotten around to doing that yet.

5 credit card transastions a year seems kind of light. might have to look into the premier account.

Are there any account fees on the premier account (besides the credit card surcharges) that are not on the presonal account?

If there are not extra fees why isn't the default account a premier?
When you have a premier account, they charge you for EVERY transaction where you are receiving money, not just credit card ones. With a personal account, there are no fees for receiving money, as long as they are not credit funded. The Paypal fee schedule, which they make somewhat challenging to find, provides a pretty good comparison.

Going for two accounts is also an option. As long as they are linked to different accounts, this is permitted. And it's a good plan to not link it to a busy account, you never know when they will surprise you with something. I've been lucky, but I don't sell too much.

One last thing Dan regarding PayPal personal account, there is a monthly limit of $500 you can receive in payment per month.

Now, if you know already that you won't be selling that much, than don't worry about it.

However if there is a month that you get lucky and receive more than the monthly limit, the only way you can get the extra is by upgrading.

I guess you can cross that bridge when you get to it.

Enjoy and have fun.

Dan.

Latest posts

Back