os and hot shot 3.5 wood

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROCK STAR

Hay everyone

I am new to the hobby and had a few questions. I took the boat out for the first time today and it wouldn't go past half throttle. Note I already broke the engine in. What should the mixture and high speed settings be at and what about the hight of the motor. I am using 30 %. fuel. What about tuned pipes, i've heard the stock pipe produces alot of restrictions.

ROCK STAR

Rock

First the stock exhaust is best to get a good needle so hang in there with that.

The center of the prop should be about even with the bottoms of the sponsons.

And the needle has much to do with everything. Fuel, prop, weight of the boat and so no. But for starters CARFULLY turn the needle in and all the way and then back out about 4 turns. It should be rich and run like crap on shore but should not quit on the water. If it does then turn out some more. If it still quits your motor might need service new or not..

Grim

R.S.

I know the guy who designed the Hot Shot 3.5 Tunnel. He found the motors worked best when the center line of the prop was 3/16" - 1/4" above the sponsons.

By the motor not going past 1/2 throttle, do you mean it wasn't going fast or the barrel carb wasn't opening fully? Do you have the throttle cable attached to the black plastic bracket that mounts to the motor?

Jerry Dunlap

R.S.

I know the guy who designed the Hot Shot 3.5 Tunnel. He found the motors worked best when the center line of the prop was 3/16" - 1/4" above the sponsons.

Jerry Dunlap
HeHeHe!! ;D

Thanks for all the replies. The throttle is hooked up correctly, but like I said only run's at half throttle and when you open it right up it just stays the same. It will however idle down. Grimracer is your boat as fun to build as Jerry's?

I hate to say it, but the Villian is the quickest and easiest wood hull I have ever built. The only easier boats were the ones Jerry built for me.

Lohring Miller

So I did what I was told and everything was working fine until I flipped. So I guess i'll wait for the servo's to dry out and start over again. That is if they will dry out. The stock prop with the OS ob has a few chips on it. How critical is this to performance, and what is a good replacement

ROCK STAR

RS--you can pull the servos out and carefully open the cases to let them air dry. If you were running in salt water, flush them out with distilled water and then let them air dry. Make sure the batteries are disconnected. Plain water won't hurt the internal components, as long as power is not applied. Same for the receiver.

When you put them back together, use a little silicone sealer on the case, and grease the snot out of the gear train. This will do a lot towards keeping the wet stuff out.

Chips out of the prop is very critical. It throws the balance off causing vibration and makes the prop cavitate. I'm assuming you're using the stock carbon fiber prop. If so, you'll be pleasantly surprised if you upgrade to a metal prop. Much better performance.

You might try one of these Octura props--X438, X440, X637, or 1640. Hope this helps.

RS,

You better figure out why the radio box isn't sealing and prevent water from getting to the r/c gear. You just learned Lesson #1 about radio equipment - radio and water don't mix. Neither does drinking and driving, but that's another issue.

The guy who designed the Hot Shot 3.5 Sprint had vast experience blowing off his boat off the water - especially when running a modified K&B 3.5 on exhaust pressure. However, a properly sealed radio box will keep water from intruding into the radio equipment. If you really got things wet, you need to unplug all connectors and make sure there is no moisture remaining. If you are using a dry cell battery pack in the radio box, remove the batteries and check for moisture.

Jerry Dunlap

R.S. I run a J.D. WOF29 with an O.S. I've tried many set-ups and maybe mine will work for you. I use a Prather 215 prop, my prop centre is 1/4 above my sponson bottom, the prop angle is neutral which means 90 degrees to transom. I use 30% nitro. The boat has to be balanced about 1/3 from the transom. Be sure your carbeurator is set-up right Factory settings are High- speed 3 turns out. Low-speed 41/2 turns out. Leave low at rich setting always and set high for best top end and then set rich 1/4 turn

29T & RS,

Good post on balance point. I should have mentioned that. When I ran a Hot Shot 24 it had at least 4 or 5 oz. of lead on the sponson tips. That's total weight.

J.D.

Well the servos dried out and I was back on the water yesterday. I finally realized why you guys are all crazy about tunnel boats. My little boat ran like a rocket sled on rails. I still have a little fine tuning to do, but I think she's coming around. Jerry I think the water must be getting in through the sterring bushings that go into the radio box. Is there a gaskit system out there. Thanks again for everyones input.

RS

P.s. I just ordered the S1, does that come with all the sterring and throttle hardware?

RS,

The Villain S1 does not come with any steering hardware. The instructions show how Mike rigged his boat for steering.

I rigged mine a little differently. When you are ready to rig the boat, let me know and I'll send you some photos of my radio box.

JD

Back