Optimal Pond/Lake Size

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PropNut

[SIZE=12pt]Hello All,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Our club is searching for a lake/pond for a NAMBA/IMPBA legal course. What do you folks think is the optimum size lake for a course? I remember a thread on this from some time back, but I cannot seem to locate it with the search function. Google Earth makes it fairly easy to seek out a venue, but how much free space is necessary on the ends of the course for “comfortable” running. I have attached an example of a pond that works, but I am worried that 80ft on each end is a little too tight. Our prevailing winds favor a North/South orientation. What other criteria should we consider? Your suggestions are very much appreciated.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]All the best,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Ray Rankl[/SIZE]

72nd Terrace Pond1a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray

I guess it depends what you intend to use it for. The picture looks like a course would fit on it, but it's awe full tight. I you are looking to hold a race at that site,it would be too small. Could you show the rest of the water? If it's longer down the other banks, it might work for you.

Time trials and straight away runs need even more room.

80 feet is tight on the ends. My pond is 150 feet on the ends and that is tight for the fast classes where racers are used to going out wide.

Ray,

Your correct 80' is pretty tight. Basically the front chute should be around 75'out and I would say double that in corners and on the back stretch. If possible.

We found a smaller area in Ft Myers and are going to a 1/4 mile course 283' straight and 15' radius corners. Not ideal for larger hulls but for our tunnels, mono's and FE makes a fun driving challenge.

Mic

I know not many will agree with me and I understand that the twins and faster hydros need a lot of room, but I think a tighter course forces us to manage our mill time better.

I have seen many issue from someone running deep into the corner to use up time then comming full blast to the start and squeasing in on the guys that are comming aroud the turn in the normal racing lanes.

I agree with Mic that about double the front stretch in the corners is about right to give every room to make the conners.

Just my 2 cents

I have to agree, 80 feet isn't enough with the faster classes. We have a lake we run scales on and have about that on the ends but only around 50 foot wide straights. It's very easy to swing too wide and run into the bank or under trees growing over the water(been there done that). If you're running the big riggers, I would agree with Don, though slower classes could easily be 100 or more smaller on length and width without any issues. It all really depends on what type and size of boats being run

"I have seen many issue from someone running deep into the corner to use up time then coming full blast to the start and squeezing in on the guys that are coming around the turn in the normal racing lanes."

And that is a lane infraction that should draw a one lap penalty. If you go deep you have left the race course and the boats still on the course have the right of way which means you stay wide. Of course you need CDs will stones enough to call the infraction but if they do the "problem" takes care of itself.
default_wink.png

Having a tall drivers stand will open up a tight course and make it way easier to drive. I built mine 10 feet above the water for this reason. I have seen boats hit on huge ponds where if you wanted to hit the dead boat you would not be able to.... This is where the drivers stand becomes just important as the pond size.

Every course is going to set different on the lakes available.

Maybe we to need to adjust are driving the course.Don't adjust the lake to suit are driving. Encourages us to set our boats up for the different lakes. For example watch MTJ record running oval runs.Fast an tight equals quick way round the course.

Thxs
Ken

1000' x 500'.

Standard course is 400' between buoy 2 & 5, that leaves 300' on each end.

A good distance from the shore to buoys 1 & 6 is 100', so that's 170' to 3 & 4. That leaves about 330' in the back.

A minimum in my mind is 800 x 400, much smaller and you'll prolly want to shorten the course.

Straight shoreline, weed & stump free, if possible you want the prevailing wind at your back. We really are "particular" when it comes to water, that's why we havta do everything we can to keep it if we get it.

Yup, the ruler function in Google Earth helps a bunch!
default_smile.png

Thank you all for the input, it is most appreciated.

This lake looks much better. Now we need to convince the business park to let us use it. Any sales techniques that work?

Manatee Chamber Pond1A.jpg

While large ponds are real nice, you still see most boat collisions occur during the race in lanes 1 - 6, as the racers fight for the quickest way around the course. Just something to think about.

I found this in the NAMBA rule book:

Course length © Laps (N) Turn Radius ® Buoy Width (
default_cool.png
Straight (S)
1 mile (5280') 6 15' 6"(.5') 392.1'
6 30' 9"(.75') 344.6'
6 38.42' 9"(.75') 318.12'
6 50' 9"(.75') 281.74'
6 50' 12"(1') 281.35'

This is from the IMPBA rule book:

A. General - Laps
An R/C model powerboat heat shall consist of the simultaneous scheduling of two or more boats
for a race, for the following number of laps:
Class 1/4 Mile Ovals 1/3 Mile Ovals 1/5 Mile Ovals
AB 8 laps 6 laps --
CD 8 laps 6 laps --
EF 8 laps 6 laps --
All LSG 8 laps 6 laps --
Electric:
L, N, O, P 3 laps 2 laps 4 laps
Q, S, T 4 laps 2 laps 5 laps

Terry, I'm not sure where you got that 400' straight on a standard course as it's not listed that way in either rule book

default_cool.png
Straight (S)

6 30' 9"(.75') 344.6'

6 50' 9"(.75') 281.74'

6 50' 12"(1') 281.35'

A. General - Laps

An R/C model powerboat heat shall consist of the simultaneous scheduling of two or more boats

AB 8 laps 6 laps --

CD 8 laps 6 laps --

EF 8 laps 6 laps --

All LSG 8 laps 6 laps --

Electric:

Terry, I'm not sure where you got that 400' straight on a standard course as it's not listed that way in either rule book
400 feet is the total length. A 330 feet SAW plus the 35 foot radius on both ends.

default_cool.png
Straight (S)

6 30' 9"(.75') 344.6'

6 50' 9"(.75') 281.74'

6 50' 12"(1') 281.35'

A. General - Laps

AB 8 laps 6 laps --

CD 8 laps 6 laps --

EF 8 laps 6 laps --

All LSG 8 laps 6 laps --

Electric:

400 feet is the total length. A 330 feet SAW plus the 35 foot radius on both ends.
That is the course I have drawn in both diagrams. 1/6th mile course. 330' straights with 35' radius.

Thank you all for the input, it is most appreciated.

This lake looks much better. Now we need to convince the business park to let us use it. Any sales techniques that work?
Start off by presenting yourself in a VERY PROFESSIONAL manner, treat it like a job interview. Be clear that you are part of a well organized National sanctioning body that is governed by clear cut rules and most importantly INSURED! The first thing the people you are talking to will most likely look at is risk and liability, welcome to the age of litigation and lawsuits.

Agree with Don and Terry. I would also suggest a professional presentation that suggests how it will be run, specific days, times, safety features, know our insurance policy, the property owners coverage etc. Then if you get the water have the discipline to enforce everything that you promised to the landowner eg only IMPBA or NAMBA members allowed, etc.etc.

Thanks guys, I have actually been preparing a presentation package (video included) highlighting all of those things. Liability is usually the first thing that will come up.

Thanks again, you guys are great.

Back