How to Go about securing New (More Public) run sites

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have received inquiries about how to go about securing more public venues for RC Boating. If you have read my previous post around IW you know that I am a strong advocate for growing, what I refer to simply as a sport, and no longer refer to it as a hobby. I've played Softball, Football, and Basketball as a hobby too but never stopped referring to it as a sport. Anyway... that is my two cents on that.

You've also probably read that I believe if the sport is going to grow we need to start looking for more public venues so that the public can see us as that is the best way to promote. Some have realized this and asked for suggestions.

Unfortunately this is not an easy task. I would not recommend it for the impatient or those of weak will. You will have to really want to do this otherwise you will be easily discouraged. You must approach it with a sense of humility, understanding, flexibility, cooperation and sense of the community as a whole. Think short and long term with a mind for understanding how such public venues are funded and possibly ideas on how your events can contribute to that. I don't want to discourage anyone, but simply just want to adequately prepare you for what often become an enduring process.

If you are a guy or gal starting from no where here are the steps I would recommend you take to get started. This is from my experience at getting Lake Cunningham in San Jose, Ca. Lake Cunningham is the host of Raging Waters Water Slide Park and a Skateboard Park. Both are the largest in Northern California. I chose the site for the 2007 NAMBA Nationals and worked with both the Amusement Park and Parks and Recreation to make it happen. Our district had an RC boating event in the past but it was so long previous to the event that there were few if any that could provide us with any benefit of that but it did serve as a common reference for those that did remember the event. To give you an idea of the time it took to do this... I started 18 months in advance with letters of intent in place as far as 12 months in advance and it still almost didn't happen as late as 5 months before the event. Like I said, just making you aware of the type of challenges you can face. It is very much needed so again I say "Please Try". The growth of our hobby depends on those willing to do so. As the result of our efforts however, we hosted an 8 day event in front of approximately 20,000 spectators. Where I would say I dropped the ball is not having stronger follow-up to continue using the facility directly after the event. Luckily the key people involved with the 2007 event are still in position with the city so they are familiar with RC boating.

So... getting back to the steps... They are as follows.

Prepare a Plan to Present.

1. So the first thing you want to do is find a location.

2. Scout it out. See how much the public is already using the facility. Take note of water foul and the sort.

3. Map out what portion of the water you will use. I used a google satellite image of the lake.

4. Map out what portion of the land you will use. Include parking, canopies etc.

5. Note any support you will need from the land owner/city/etc if any.

All of this helps you have your thoughts together when you speak to the site rep. In my experience people think RC "Toys" (Not Sport). So you have to break that perception by being organized. The NAMBA or IMPBA brochure in the works should help here as well.

6. Find out who owns the water. City? County? Private? (Corporate/Individual) You can often find out by looking it up online. If you see a park ranger at the site ask them. But don't ask them about running there unless you are looking for a one time shot for testing and practice. I've used this method too. It works sometimes but sometimes they say No. Probably depends on if the Big Boss is around or not. Usually, they will just recite the rules they are governed by, but Rules can be rewritten when you consult the rule makers. To give you an example of this... In that park I mentioned in San Jose, there is no RC anything allowed but after working with them we were able to have an event that hosted 600 RCs. Like I said... It's all in who you talk to.

7. Find a contact. Parks and Recreation Manager of the City or Lakes and Parks Manager for a County. I've worked with both. Again start with the website. Look up your country or city. Then locate the lake or park you are interested in. Look for a phone number that manages those areas. Sometimes you may have to start with a reservations phone number and work your way to the right person from there. Let them know you want to talk to a site manager about hosting an event on the water. Again they may give you the rules which is "No" but still kindly request the manager or official. In your city you may have to call your city office or councilman's office. Try to get their name, email and phone number.

8. You may have to be persistant to get a response. Call, follow-up with email and repeat once a week. Just tell them your name, organization and that you are interested in hosting an event at a park in the area. This should get you a call back sooner than later... but keep in mind they will be thinking $$$. Let them think that initially. Don't mislead them but don't necessarily tell them you are broke either. A direct marketing consultant told me to talk money last. First talk interest. If there is interest then there is a way. If there is no interest then there is no way. Note: I prefer to communicate in email because it allows me to keep my thoughts organized but I know some people prefer to do all their communication in person. Whatever you are most comfortable with.

9. Once you get them on the phone make your presentation of what you want to do. It will be good to have dates in mind for a first event. Request a face to face meeting. I have a presentation I can send to anyone who is interested or I can help make one specific to your needs. At this point you will need to put on your salesmen hat as the days of people letting us use facilities out of the kindness of their heart is already behind us or close to it, especially venues that are more visible.

In case you are saying you are not a salesmen let me dispell that notion. Unless you are a hermit living under rock, naked... you at least have a salesmen inside of you. You are a salemen if you ever had a job as you had to sell yourself over all the other applicants and you are salesmen if you ever been married or had a girlfriend as you had to sell her on you. So there's a salesmen in all of us. And as a good salesmen you have to keep the party's interest you are selling to in good view. You already know what YOUR interest are so what you need to do is find out what THEIR interests are.

Keep these things in mind as what the concerns of the site rep may be.

a. Will this cost my park money to have you here? (ie. Clean up, Security, Restrooms, Lawn Care)

b. Will it disturb present activities or park goers (rowing team, fishing, joggers, wildlife conservationilist)

c. If the answer is Yes to any of these questions have an answer ready.

Here are a few answers to objections.

We can't afford the extra Maintenace

Answer: Our organization has an excellent reputation in the care and maintenance of facilities we use. We pride ourselves in leaving a site in better condition than when we arrived. We believe in doing so in ensure our site host continue to be pleased with working with us. Here are a couple of letters of recommendation from other sites we have used in the past. The phone number and contact information is at the top of each one for you to contact at your convenience.

It will disturb our other activites like fishing and sail boarding

Answer: Safety is of utmost importance to our organization so our rules prohibit us from operating any boat on the water while anyone is on or in the water. Perhaps we can work with you on a date where the facility could be allocated to us perhaps even considering slower times of the year for you. Our boats do not disturb fishing you check our references to confirm.

They are too noisy.

Answer: We closely monitor the noise level of our boats with a dB restriction of (whatever it is in your area). As a result our boats are comparable to common yard equipment or kitchen appliance like a blender.

Keeping the Park's interest in mind is how I found out about a term called "Cost Recovery" which basically means how the public facility is going to recover the cost that your usage may require of them... and better yet how you can even contribute beyond that. You might hate to pay them but in order to gain use of a more accessible more visible facility you may have to. With that ideas of bringing more cars into a venue that pay parking fees. Or membership fees that can be applied to securing a venue may also be helpful in gaining favor with park facilities.

10. It would also be good to have reference letter from other facilities that you have used to show that you have maintained a good repore with no problems or damage to the environment.

So there my two cents at trying to work with a city or country on securing a more public venue. I have presentations that can modify for anyone interested in using them.

Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Roger,

Great information Roger is on the money. Working with parks is very hard. Like roger says keep after the management team and you will be successful. When I have none members tell me how much the like watching our boats. I give them a letter to sign and send to the park. And sometimes you will get a complaint, but I just forget it. :)

We have been at our site for a very long time and still it's like pulling teeth dealing with the park and DEP Etc. but it sure is worth all the leg work,as they cut the grass, keep the showers clean,supply great parking, we even have well supply rest rooms. So look at the good side. I have been to some very ugly race sites :) Maybe Roger can send me his letter to the park people.

Thanx for all your hard work Roger.

Bob Morton.

i agree with nails, roger is right on the money. the biggest hurdle is getting off your butt, gathering up some courage & dedication, & JUST ASKING! the worst they can do is say no, i don't believe any beatings are involved..........the beauracracy you have to deal with can be frustrating & drawn out, but DO NOT give up, they seem to reward persistance ;) . the public parks in my county don't allow nitro vehicles of ANY kind, & FE stuff can't exceed 30 mph, land or water. i have found a large, privately owned campground that welcomes rc boaters, & i have exposed quite a few folks to our hobby/sport. there are a lot of options out there. if you see runnable water, ASK ABOUT IT!! if you don't, it will NEVER happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the benefits of getting involved witht he city or county more intimately is that it allows you to gain an opportunity to be included in the long term plan of the facility. In our case with the San Jose facility is that our persistant interest has got them considering us ino the long term plan to create an "RC Park" as part of a direction they are considering which is an "Action Sports" theme park. If we had not stayed visible and persistant I doubt they would have called us offering the opportunity.

Roger,

We have secured a permit and NAMBA insurance for the Campbell Pond.

Pete
Great! That Great News! If you can send me some information that would be great.
Roger,

I put all the information on the Google App for Model Boat Ponds.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=202626390827908778058.0004b34cbbbf9d702522d

Instructions are also on the front page of the OSE Forums.

Hope to see you out there!

Pete

Hello Roger,

Great information Roger is on the money. Working with parks is very hard. Like roger says keep after the management team and you will be successful. When I have none members tell me how much the like watching our boats. I give them a letter to sign and send to the park. And sometimes you will get a complaint, but I just forget it. :)

We have been at our site for a very long time and still it's like pulling teeth dealing with the park and DEP Etc. but it sure is worth all the leg work,as they cut the grass, keep the showers clean,supply great parking, we even have well supply rest rooms. So look at the good side. I have been to some very ugly race sites :) Maybe Roger can send me his letter to the park people.

Thanx for all your hard work Roger.

Bob Morton.
Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you what I have.

Latest posts

Back