O/T Building a New Boat

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jerry,

What is the head clearance on that motor? I didn't know Thunder Tiger

made engines that big?

Looking Good!!!

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

I'm more interested in what's sitting in the left side background of the first pic. :p
It's a Lotus,, you oughta see the frame on that thing,, a tin benders wet dream. The owner wants me

to build him a tube frame replacement,,, never will be able to beat the weight savings that the original

sheet metal box frame has. It's made like a "T" thru the middle and up front and a "Y' in the rear,, box

construction sheet metal!

Mark, the engine is a "Vintage" 83 Yamaha 540 V-Max sled motor (1258mi),, 89hp @ 9,500. Having this

motor with it's stock tuned pipes and carb air box is a unique combo for a mini buggy. The sled parts were

worth enough to buy the tubing, wheels & tires and a good down payment on the foward-neutral-reverse

10:1 gearbox

what model lotus? i've always lusted for a europa (why i don't know - just looks good to me), but it doesn't look like that....... the buggy's pretty neat, too :p !

Last edited by a moderator:
what model lotus? i've always lusted for a europa (why i don't know - just looks good to me), but it doesn't look like that....... the buggy's pretty neat, too :p !
I think it is a Europa,, kinda looks like a mini El Camino in the rear section,, I though it was weird lookin',, didn't tell that to the owner,, I helped him gettin' the body off the duct work frame. I asked him "wouldn't you rather use a tin bender?, 'stead of a plumber?",, "I want you to do it",he said :( , I bit my hand real hard.

Yep, It's a 1974 Lotus Europa,

That buggy is going to haul @ss Jerry! Are there places near by where you can drive such a beast to it's potential? Let me know when it's done and I'll be over for a test drive :lol: :lol:

I have wanted to build a Lotus 7 replica for years. If only I had the time / money.

That buggy is going to haul @ss Jerry! Are there places near by where you can drive such a beast to it's potential? Let me know when it's done and I'll be over for a test drive :lol: :lol:
I have wanted to build a Lotus 7 replica for years. If only I had the time / money.
I have a store bougth buggy 250 cc watercooled with reverse lame but nice for an old fart that dont like to push oh eletric start

haul a$$? Thats ALWAYS the plan Tim! Trouble is ,, I'm In This Thing! ,,, can you imagine a 90mph "endo" in something

I built???? :wacko: -_-

We'll have to be discreet with the inner "Wild Man Thing" for several laps with this deal,,, allota work ahead.

LOL tim

we have the machinery and technology down here to make anything from a 1909 Bellsize tourer to a lotus 7. How big is your wallet and when will you be sending down your deposit?

Dave

Don't you have a pipe to build for me, Mr Dave? :p p.s You don't want me in your workshop - I'd never leave.

Endo at 90mph? Sheesh! That would increase the pucker factor!

haul a$$? Thats ALWAYS the plan Tim! Trouble is ,, I'm In This Thing! ,,, can you imagine a 90mph "endo" in something

We'll have to be discreet with the inner "Wild Man Thing" for several laps with this deal,,, allota work ahead.
Jerry, you are going to love it. What an adrenlin rush. The light weight and high horsepower are awsome.

Here is one that I built about 10 years ago. All chromemoly frame powered by a GPZ 1100 Kawasiki computerized fuel injected motorcycle engine with a kirker header flowing thru a supertrapp muffler. Hooking to the pavement thru 11" wide Mickey Thompson Hot & Stickies.

The best fun is after you take someone for a ride. There are very few that want a second ride. :lol: :lol: :lol:

DSC00155.JPG

hey jerry,,, so that is what you were talking about,,, looks like a cool project.. also looks like you have your hands full...when your done with it you should send it my way to slap a turbo on that yamie...

Jerry, you are going to love it. What an adrenlin rush. The light weight and high horsepower are awsome.

Here is one that I built about 10 years ago. All chromemoly frame powered by a GPZ 1100 Kawasiki computerized fuel injected motorcycle engine with a kirker header flowing thru a supertrapp muffler. Hooking to the pavement thru 11" wide Mickey Thompson Hot & Stickies.

The best fun is after you take someone for a ride. There are very few that want a second ride. :lol: :lol: :lol:
OOOO :wub: , That Thing look's like its built for speed and cornering! Nice! I bet that is a Blast. Good Gawd! Look at That sprocket,, What is that? About 72 tooth sprocket?

I'm going for something similar on the dirt and logging roads,, dam logging road running has forced me into having brakes up front too,, I doubt I'll need them for the dirt track that I made 3 years ago.

Thanks for the pic! That got the ol blood pumping,, Well Done!

hey jerry,,, so that is what you were talking about,,, looks like a cool project.. also looks like you have your hands full...when your done with it you should send it my way to slap a turbo on that yamie...
Hey Alden! Have you got the bugs worked out yet? Ya know,, to be honest, I didn't know that turbo's were used on 2 stroke

sled motors. I heard of guys using a supercharger on a nitro model motor but never heard of any significant benefit. I didn't even know that they were using them on the newer 4 stroke sleds until 3 or 4 months ago.

Is that a Polaris? looks like a reed valve engine,, must be a good mid-range boost for that motor,yeah?

Hey Alden! Have you got the bugs worked out yet? Ya know,, to be honest, I didn't know that turbo's were used on 2 stroke

sled motors. I heard of guys using a supercharger on a nitro model motor but never heard of any significant benefit. I didn't even know that they were using them on the newer 4 stroke sleds until 3 or 4 months ago.

Is that a Polaris? looks like a reed valve engine,, must be a good mid-range boost for that motor,yeah?

well,,, havnt even fired it yet,, havnt gotten the pipe yet,,, james sent it out when he got back home...cant wait though.... anyway its a ski doo,, the reason i chose this sled to turbo is because it is a rotary engine,,, no reeds,,, so the intake ports open and close... you know like a ops .67 with a rotary valve....beleive it or not 2 strokes take to turbo's very well... but the key is to put the turbo after the pipe... it makes tromendous amounts of power about 40 feet out of the box,,, turbo comes on like a light switch.. first time i had it out i had the turbo set for 3 psi boost and when it came on i thought it was going over backward.. adding fuel on boost is the most important thing though.... now i have it tuned for 8 psi... should be around 190 hp...not bad for a 500.. there are turbo kits out there you can buy for 2 stroke sleds but they are quite pricy,, around $4,000.00.... i used a ko3 turbo out of a 99 vw passat..made the intake and exhaust boxes out of steel.. took me 8 months to figure it out,, but got her done... fast as he$$... these guys with the 4 stokers are making around 350 hp...

OOOO :wub: , That Thing look's like its built for speed and cornering! Nice! I bet that is a Blast. Good Gawd! Look at That sprocket,, What is that? About 72 tooth sprocket?

I'm going for something similar on the dirt and logging roads,, dam logging road running has forced me into having brakes up front too,, I doubt I'll need them for the dirt track that I made 3 years ago.

Thanks for the pic! That got the ol blood pumping,, Well Done!
When you tell someone about the buggy's performance you get a lot of rolled eyes and yea right snickers.

One of my favorites though is it will run consistent 0 to 70 mph in 3 seconds hazing the tires all the way. Just right to give you "Jelly Legs". :)

I drove a Europa about 20 years ago that belonged to a buddy of mine. Had to take my shoes off to be able to get my feet on the pedals. My feet got clostrophobic down in the foot box.

That 914 makes my back hurt just looking at it. Glad most of them have gone to the Rust Gods cause they are a PITA to work on. Especially the 914-6.

This one would probably hurt the back too,, everytime you grab a gear with 550hp
Dang Jerry! I take it you did a little Chassis Reinforcing on That One Too!! Don't Want To Work On It But I'd Be Happy To Take It Out For An Acceleration Evaluation For Ya!!! :D :D :D

Latest posts

Back