Blast from the past!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Dumas Dragonfly .20 also built in the 80's with Kb 3.5 de the futuba 2 stick also, brand new, had never got wet. motor never started, Daughters cat knocked it down off my tall dresser cracked the rear wing. This years stripped it repainted and got a OS 21 outboard on it for a little more power. Upgraded radio, Still have not splashed or run it yet this year. Enjoy i like the old school boats, for fun pond running, with NITRO., sound and smell. after and before when working on it, If that is a 3.5 Kb gold head want to sell,?? Want to sell it?? I have several old k&K s only one gold head 7.5 like brand, so far!!!! like the specials ones to sit on the rack with all the boats. Esp. Since i had a Outboard shop for over 20 years. I like the Outboards.!!!on Nitro.

Attachments

• 20221016_091112.jpg
    20221016_091112.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220828_142744.jpg
    20220828_142744.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
View attachment 314326View attachment 314327Sometimes its just plain fun to go back in time! Im building a Dumas Dragonfly .20 with a K&B 3.5 Marine Inboard, fitted with a race car head, and the radio for it will be a brand new/old brown box Futaba 2 stick radio on 75.590! Some of my KABOOMS! Lottsa fun being had with this little project!
Nice. My first hydro was an original 20 size Dragonfly with a shovel nose. The kit was all birch ply unlike the pickle fork version. If you have not done so, I suggest you glass the non-trip where it meets the deck. I did not glass it on my first build and it soon crack after a couple of runs. I have since built all three sizes and have glassed all of them and never had a failed joint.

I will see if I can still find photos of my 20 DnF. I finished building one during the lockdown but have not gotten it wet yet. I narrowed the non-trip to keep it from blowing over.

k

Just found a couple of photos. The original shovel nose Dragonfly and the pickle fork I completed during lockdown. I hope to test run this spring.

Attachments

• BDD3CEFE-5388-4982-93F3-2D93CAE6A901.jpeg
    BDD3CEFE-5388-4982-93F3-2D93CAE6A901.jpeg
    789.2 KB · Views: 1
  • DBD3948B-EEAD-4506-8352-04D6E5662564.jpeg
    DBD3948B-EEAD-4506-8352-04D6E5662564.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I have a Dumas Dragonfly .20 also built in the 80's with Kb 3.5 de the futuba 2 stick also, brand new, had never got wet. motor never started, Daughters cat knocked it down off my tall dresser cracked the rear wing. This years stripped it repainted and got a OS 21 outboard on it for a little more power. Upgraded radio, Still have not splashed or run it yet this year. Enjoy i like the old school boats, for fun pond running, with NITRO., sound and smell. after and before when working on it, If that is a 3.5 Kb gold head want to sell,?? Want to sell it?? I have several old k&K s only one gold head 7.5 like brand, so far!!!! like the specials ones to sit on the rack with all the boats. Esp. Since i had a Outboard shop for over 20 years. I like the Outboards.!!!on Nitro.
Nice job Sonny!

Nice. My first hydro was an original 20 size Dragonfly with a shovel nose. The kit was all birch ply unlike the pickle fork version. If you have not done so, I suggest you glass the non-trip where it meets the deck. I did not glass it on my first build and it soon crack after a couple of runs. I have since built all three sizes and have glassed all of them and never had a failed joint.

I will see if I can still find photos of my 20 DnF. I finished building one during the lockdown but have not gotten it wet yet. I narrowed the non-trip to keep it from blowing over.

k

Just found a couple of photos. The original shovel nose Dragonfly and the pickle fork I completed during lockdown. I hope to test run this spring.
You did a beautiful job on all of them Kez!!!

I love to see old projects like these out on the water again,, takes you back to a simpler time..

I saw an electric sport 20 out on the water at a club meeting the other day.... never witnessed one running before, it blazingly fast, stable and burned many laps before the guy brought it in....

Deep down I was quite impressed....

( damnn,, did I just say that out loud ? )

I am restoring a Dumas CF 40 that I built back in 82. Of all the vee hulls that I have seen, this Dumas 40 has the most pleasing lines. It looks very much like the Cigarette offshore boat of the era.

The K&B 7.5 turning a JG I25 was too much power. It probably ran mid 40's in a straight line but it has a bad habit of leaning all the way on its freeboard when turning right.

Removing the rails took the most time. The supplied 3/8" ply rails were overkill. I glassed in new rails using 3/16" ply. I molded a fuel well to hold a 12 oz Sullivan tank. The plan is to install the HP 40. Since I will be running it for fun, I will use a period correct Airtronics wheel radio. Once it is warm enough, I will sand the hull and redo the Formula paint scheme

k

Attachments

• IMG_0429.jpg
    IMG_0429.jpg
    551.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0430.jpg
    IMG_0430.jpg
    573.5 KB · Views: 0
I am restoring a Dumas CF 40 that I built back in 82. Of all the vee hulls that I have seen, this Dumas 40 has the most pleasing lines. It looks very much like the Cigarette offshore boat of the era.

The K&B 7.5 turning a JG I25 was too much power. It probably ran mid 40's in a straight line but it has a bad habit of leaning all the way on its freeboard when turning right.

Removing the rails took the most time. The supplied 3/8" ply rails were overkill. I glassed in new rails using 3/16" ply. I molded a fuel well to hold a 12 oz Sullivan tank. The plan is to install the HP 40. Since I will be running it for fun, I will use a period correct Airtronics wheel radio. Once it is warm enough, I will sand the hull and redo the Formula paint scheme

k
those were cool boats!

k
You do beautiful work Kez!

Here is one of my "blast from the past" Aeromarine 56" vee and some left over Corvette yellow urethane with KB epoxy clear over the yellow and artwork. Zenoah engine... very fun boat !

Attachments

• Popeyes V.jpg
    Popeyes V.jpg
    665.8 KB · Views: 0
That would be way cool to bring that one back to life Tom! Imagine us spending the day actually running something we ran over 40 years ago!
I used to fly gliders and I remember LSF has a nostalgia class. It will be fun if there is a similar event/class for RC boats

going to drop one of my MAC 67's in it .
Please post some pictures and running clips. I had a K&B7.5 in it and it was a lot of engine for the boat. I am converting it to surface drive and I hope it will settle it somewhat.

k

Back