Novarossi of America

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5 ports are better for boat engines. Sleeve shims and a little triming of the head button will take care of low port timing.

BTW- We have plenty of .008" sleeve shims to fit that engine if anyone needs some.

That engine has LOTS of potential! :)
Apologies to Glenn for side-tracking this thread but....

Andy, 5 ports are better than what? I currently run a 7 port Novarossi engine and am always looking for more speed of course! B)

Measuring the combined transfer and boost port width of the 7 port Novarossi sleeve, it has exactly the same combined port width (to 0.1mm) as the CMB RS7 Valvola which only has 3 ports. I dont have a 5 port liner to compare to. More numerous narrower ports would do a better job of controlling the direction of the air/fuel charge I would have thought, probably at the cost of more resistance to the flow. :huh:

Ian.
Glenn, what piston? Dished or.....? Do you have turbo plug inserts for these motors in stock? Any chance of a drum valve .21 Nova in the works? Richard D
Richard, it is a flat top piston, I don't have any turbo plug heads in stock (but if you really wanted one before my next order I would be willing to take one off of one of my personal motors to sell you).

A rear intake, front exhaust .21 has been my number 1 project since I became the US distributor! I do not know when/if it will ever happen, but I am giving it my max effort. I can say that Nova has been extremely easy to work with and seems very willing to help us out.

Glenn
Thanks for the offer Glenn. Yes, a front exhaust Nova would be awesome. I am sure Novarossi has the equipment to build a front exhaust motor. I suppose you would have to commit to a certain amount of motors. Richard D

Don't forget me on the outboard version and pto when they come in. Thanks
John
I've talked briefly with Nova about making an OB, but I think Aaron is taking up that project with them seriously. It will be fun to see how it works out. Just think...one day we may be running Novarossis in the stock outboard class ;)

Glenn

glenn,
can you post a pic of the liner and the case for us to see. I would like to take a look at one.. might be interested.

chris
Chris, I will try to do that. The case looks to be the same (except for the letters on the side) as the 35Plus and the TX 21 case but does not have all of the same machining on the inside. It takes the same bearings and the crank looks the same. The sleeve also looks just like the 35Plus and TX except it only has 5 intake ports (it still has the three exhaust ports). I really like the size of the intake ports. I have not measured the timing or run one of the engines, but I honestly think with a little work it will run with ANY .21 out there.

I am looking forward to some feed back after folks start running them!

Glenn
Glenn, what crank comes in the 35 plus engines you are selling? Tungsten inserts in counterweight and ramped intake? Thanks, Richard
Richard, I can get those (I am runing one now to check it out), but because those only come as SG style I asked Nova if they would build me motors with the full threaded cranks that come with flywheels. The full threaded cranks are 14mm turbo cranks like we are all used to seeing in the motors Bill sold.

I haven't compaired the 35 Plus motors with the two different cranks, so I can't tell you if there is a difference and how much of a difference. I know Aaron runs the SG crank and likes it better than the turbo crank, but again I don't know how much difference he has seen between the two.

If you (or anybody) would like to try the 35Plus motors with the bigger SG crank, just let me know and I will be happy to order a batch of them. The price is just a bit more than the ones I'm selling, but they don't come with a flywheel. I will be happy to mod the crank and a flywheel to work if anybody wants one.

Glenn
The 35+ I have has the SG crank and its a rocket in a Sport Hydro. I would like to know the difference (if any) in the performance of a 35+ with the full threaded crank. I'm still leary of the silicone insert in mine, and whether it will wipe out the whole motor if it decides to let loose.

Larry

Larry

i run 2 35plus 21 with 14.5mm crank[sg] and they are rockets,

i have had one in my rigger about 1 year now and the silicone ramp still looks like new,

think these cranks are better

regards Aaron

Larry
i run 2 35plus 21 with 14.5mm crank[sg] and they are rockets,

i have had one in my rigger about 1 year now and the silicone ramp still looks like new,

think these cranks are better

regards Aaron
Keep me posted on the possible OB conversion.

Thanks

Larry

Here are a few pictures of the new 5 port engine. Note that is even has the Top of the line (pun intended!) R7 rod.
Glenn
Nice looking motor! Glenn, Is that the same crank that comes with 35+ motors you sell ? Larry

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are a few pictures of the new 5 port engine. Note that is even has the Top of the line (pun intended!) R7 rod.
Glenn
Nice looking motor! Glenn, Is that the same crank that comes with 35+ motors yoou sell ? Larry
Yes I believe it is, but I haven't measured the size of the hole throught the crank to make sure.

Yeah these are very nice looking motors (well I guess all of the Novas are works of art!).

Glenn

5 ports are better for boat engines. Sleeve shims and a little triming of the head button will take care of low port timing.

BTW- We have plenty of .008" sleeve shims to fit that engine if anyone needs some.

That engine has LOTS of potential! :)
Apologies to Glenn for side-tracking this thread but....

Andy, 5 ports are better than what? I currently run a 7 port Novarossi engine and am always looking for more speed of course! B)

Measuring the combined transfer and boost port width of the 7 port Novarossi sleeve, it has exactly the same combined port width (to 0.1mm) as the CMB RS7 Valvola which only has 3 ports. I dont have a 5 port liner to compare to. More numerous narrower ports would do a better job of controlling the direction of the air/fuel charge I would have thought, probably at the cost of more resistance to the flow. :huh:

Ian.
Cut a pair of dividers out of your 7 port and PRESTO, now you have a 5 port engine with MORE port area than the CMB! :)

There are benefits for increasing the number of ports but they do not have any benefit for the type of boat racing that we normally do.

For most boat racing 3 to 5 ports is best.

My opinion anyway! :)

Glennwhat all is involved in modding a SG crank for the flywheel and shaft collet??, Thanks
It is pretty easy. You simply cut off the non-threaded part of the crank with a dremel tool and cut-off wheel (be safe) and then recess the front of the flywheel on a lathe to let the cable collet get back to the short threaded part of the crank. I like to use one of the Octura cable collets with the turned down pilot that fits into the flywheel so I don't have to make the recess so deep.

I do this for $25 (plus flywheel and collet if you need me to furnish them).

Glenn

Thanks Glenn I got your response and For now i am going to try and make my mac .21 work in a hawk rigger .

The engine you were selling was a definate possibility.

Thanks for now hope guys buy these engine and support you and the hobby.

Terry

Okay guys,

I had a chance to try one of Glenn's new 5 port $250.00 motors. This is my set-up... .21 Speedmaster mono. AB 21ST pipe, AB 440x3 prop. I ran this combination at the Northern Nats this past weekend and it's killer. The boat has everything. This is probably the cheapest hull I've ever put together and a sweet combination. Fast!!!!

Thanks Glenn for bringing out an affordable and competitive motor right out of the box. I think you have a winner here. Good luck keeping them in stock!

Thanks also to Andy for helping me out with the pipe and prop.

Oh yeah... All I did was set the head clearence at 12 thou. No other mods..

Thanks, Ron

Okay guys,
I had a chance to try one of Glenn's new 5 port $250.00 motors. This is my set-up... .21 Speedmaster mono. AB 21ST pipe, AB 440x3 prop. I ran this combination at the Northern Nats this past weekend and it's killer. The boat has everything. This is probably the cheapest hull I've ever put together and a sweet combination. Fast!!!!

Thanks Glenn for bringing out an affordable and competitive motor right out of the box. I think you have a winner here. Good luck keeping them in stock!

Thanks also to Andy for helping me out with the pipe and prop.

Oh yeah... All I did was set the head clearence at 12 thou. No other mods..

Thanks, Ron
Thanks for the feedback Ron...that is really good to hear! I still don't have a pond so I haven't been able to run one yet.

Yeah I will have to get a bunch more soon. The last batch lasted 10 days before they were all gone!

Glenn

Latest posts

Back