NOISE

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cooper quiet pipe for gas 110 bucks.Still trying to bite the bullet and buy one.I really need about 4 pipes right now.Chris you going to man the db meter at are race?Hahahahahaha.All kidding aside i sure hope the new generation pipes work as i hate buying something that dont work that cost so much.Is there going to be a mandantory db certifacation that needs to be done to insure a fair reading?

I know this is looking at things in a different light, so Im just asking. What is the big deal with having a loud boat. I know 95-98 db is loud. Is the difference between a boat in with 98 db and a boat with lets say 90 db going to be the difference in loosing the pond you race at? I just dont see this as such a big deal. The more we limit ourselves the more poeple tend to cheat (I know it sounds bad). Im not saying we should be able to go back to strait pipes like in the 70's or anything, but a regular pipe never pissed me off in any way. These rules seem to be just limitations in more ways than one. So now a newbie who wants to race needs to go out and buy a $80 muffled pipe? Well I got quite pipes on all my boats, and I can honestly say, they arent much quieter. All I see when I look at them is another rise in cost. So what Im asking is that this noise restriction we are putting on because of locals who live near ponds that some of you guys run at? Did these locals come out of there houses and say "could you please keep the db below 92 please" I know it sounds like Im making a joke of it, but seriously, who standing next to the pond and a boat goes by at 92db thinks its quiet? Its still loud as hell. After you got your boat a muffled pipe, did that same local come out and say "ahh, thats better." No, I just dont think this is a relavent rule that someone who is a true racer should need to drive 9 hours to custom rig a muffler so he can race his boat. Sorry if I sound like rules shouldnt apply to me or us, Im just saying why is this a rule at all? Lets keep it under 100 db, so we can just frickin race. If anyone goes over 100db gets a "loudest boat" trophy. I personally like to hear my boat.......
Larry Gempp Jr.
Larry, I really feel like it is more of IMPBA trying to stay ahead of the game so to speak. Let's say you are at a race and some tree hugging.......ops, concerned neighbor calls the police complaining of noise polution. The police show up and you are there with a DB meter and you say "officer, we are within compliance of OSHA standards bla, bla bla" " see, right here on our state of the art DB meter". The officer doesent know squat about a DB meter but he can go back to the irate neighbor and say "hay, they are in compliance and the problem ends there! end of story, race sight saved for another day of racing and THAT is the bottom line. I know it is hard to muffle a big block rigger like yours but if an attempt is made to TRY to quiet the thing nobody will say anything if you are over a little.

There is still one major problem that can arise even with whatever dB rule that you put in place and I'm sitting back waiting for it to happen as it's going to one of these days at a race near you.

The police won't give a rat's ass about what the IMPBA or NAMBA dB rules are and all they have to do is get one noise complaint and they can come in and shut down a race.

A word to host clubs everywhere, check to see what your local noise ordinance rules are. Here in town they're busting everyone with mega-watt sub-woofers or for playing your car radio too loud. All it takes is just one person for you to lose your site or shut down an event. Loud is whatever they consider loud as they're not using dB meters when busting people. These could be the same people running weed eaters, leaf blowers and the like but don't want to hear us out having fun.

There is still one major problem that can arise even with whatever dB rule that you put in place and I'm sitting back waiting for it to happen as it's going to one of these days at a race near you.The police won't give a rat's ass about what the IMPBA or NAMBA dB rules are and all they have to do is get one noise complaint and they can come in and shut down a race.

A word to host clubs everywhere, check to see what your local noise ordinance rules are. Here in town they're busting everyone with mega-watt sub-woofers or for playing your car radio too loud. All it takes is just one person for you to lose your site or shut down an event. Loud is whatever they consider loud as they're not using dB meters when busting people. These could be the same people running weed eaters, leaf blowers and the like but don't want to hear us out having fun.
Your right! The police don't care about IMPBA or NAMBA but if you produce a DB meter and say OSHA this and OSHA that, then they have what they need to quell the disterbance. Trust me, I know, they don't want to deal with crap like noise any more than , say Mr Bullard. They want to go and chase bad guys and save damsels from their virginity.

I'll have to agree with Larry and Ron on this one and a DB limit of even 80 with several boats in a heat is going a annoy some people. Hell, do you think the airplane clubs don't have the same problem? This country has become an extreamlY, it's all about me and what I want place, and to heck with putting up with even a little discomfort for what other people may enjoy out of life. I really don't think this DB thing that we are fighting to get settled is going to make any difference at all in saving some of our ponds.

Don

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll have to agree with Larry and Ron on this one and a DB limit of even 80 with several boats in a heat is going a annoy some people. Hell, do you think the airplane clubs don't have the same problem? This country has become an extreamlY, it's all about me and what I want place, and to heck with putting up with even a little discomfort for what other people may enjoy out of life. I really don't think this DB thing that we are fighting to get settled is going to make any difference at all in saving some of our ponds.
Don
I am with you don, DB's or not the problem, comes down to being excepted as a SPORT or HOBBY.. by the public

I havn't seen this kind of stink with cars.. Maybe i just live in the wrong part of the country.

Heck, yrs ago the city hosted this MASSIVE airshow that used to be put on by byrons in ida grove, ia.

Then it moved to ankeny ia.. Generated huge dollars for the city.. they ousted it because of the supposed headache it caused the city..

I really don't think this DB thing that we are fighting to get settled is going to make any difference at all in saving some of our ponds.
I was going to avoid this thread but I would like to add just one thing. A couple years ago one of the Virginia D12 clubs was able to obtain the use of a site in a beautiful county run park in a rather upscale area in Maryland. Another Maryland based D12 club had tried unsuccessfully for over 10 years to be allowed to hold a race there. When meeting with the county & park officials during negotiations to use the site one of the last questions they asked was if a noise control policy was in place. The club was able to tell them that as an IMPBA sanctioned event they did in fact have that in place and dB levels would be monitored all weekend. During the very first race there a complaint was lodged about the noise to the park officials. They reponded how a noise policy was in place, a dB meter was on site & accepted noise levels were being maintained. They then politely dismissed the individuals complaint and sent him on his way. Sure there are never any guarantees BUT this is just an example where it actually did make a difference. During a later conversation I had with one of the park officials at the first race I learned that they were "on the fence" about allowing the race but they were impressed how something was already in place to address potential noise complaints, one of the things they were most concerned about and decided to grant permission to hold the event which is still currently being held there. :)

As a newbie in this R/C stuff I don't know alot about the noise issues but from expieriance as a race director of Modified kneel down hydro's I know here in Cedar Rapids, Iowa when we race here on the river that every year we get the cops showing up because of noise. Its always the same person calling. We just have to show them our permits to be racing on the river and the problem is over.

I really don't think this DB thing that we are fighting to get settled is going to make any difference at all in saving some of our ponds.
I was going to avoid this thread but I would like to add just one thing. A couple years ago one of the Virginia D12 clubs was able to obtain the use of a site in a beautiful county run park in a rather upscale area in Maryland. Another Maryland based D12 club had tried unsuccessfully for over 10 years to be allowed to hold a race there. When meeting with the county & park officials during negotiations to use the site one of the last questions they asked was if a noise control policy was in place. The club was able to tell them that as an IMPBA sanctioned event they did in fact have that in place and dB levels would be monitored all weekend. During the very first race there a complaint was lodged about the noise to the park officials. They reponded how a noise policy was in place, a dB meter was on site & accepted noise levels were being maintained. They then politely dismissed the individuals complaint and sent him on his way. Sure there are never any guarantees BUT this is just an example where it actually did make a difference. During a later conversation I had with one of the park officials at the first race I learned that they were "on the fence" about allowing the race but they were impressed how something was already in place to address potential noise complaints, one of the things they were most concerned about and decided to grant permission to hold the event which is still currently being held there. :)

After comparison of the IMPBA noise rule in page K-4 of the rule book vs. the new noise rule for gas boats only in page I-3 (refer to the March 07 Roostertail) it appears to me that we have complicated this matter even more. Clubs now have two different unenforceable rules to enforce.

If you read the rule for the gas boats on page I-2 and the rule on page K-4 they say the same thing.

Kevin Sheren :blink:

After comparison of the IMPBA noise rule in page K-4 of the rule book vs. the new noise rule for gas boats only in page I-3 (refer to the March 07 Roostertail) it appears to me that we have complicated this matter even more. Clubs now have two different unenforceable rules to enforce.

For starts, K-4 states meter placed 25 ft from shoreline with the boat well underway (whatever that means) and measurements taken between buoy 6 and the starting line. I-3 states measuring will be performed with the boat running at idle, at the shoreline, facing sideways. Measuring device at 50ft. The check will be confirmed when the driver runs the boat at full throttle. To me the above are different. The weigh scale is different also A vs. C.

I've talked about this once before but will say it again for those who missed it the first time.

Last year we lost two sites for R/C'ing right in my neighborhood. The Kalamazoo Thunderbirds used to have a flying site at River Oaks Park, about 5 miles east of me. They moved out of the county owned park to a private piece of property out in the sticks. The club put a lot of money into fixing up the place and then started getting noise complaints from neighbors. They had to close the field down.

A LHS called hobby-sports.com formerly R&L Hobbies had a track behind their store plus they have an indoor track. Although they are in an industrial zone, their property abuts a residential zone. There used to be nothing but field behind their store where people rode their ATV's, dirt bikes and dune buggies. Somebody bought that property and turned it into a housing plat. R&L put a lot of money into the track with getting several truckloads of Georgia clay, an AMB timing system, chain-link fencing, a drivers stand and an in-ground sprinkling system. All it took was one new neighbor to complain about the noise and they ended up by tearing the whole thing down The dB levels were legal in the comercial zone but over for the residential zone. What gets me is that on one side of their store is an auto body shop and the other a metal fabrication company yet they are the ones who get the hit.

Piston 1 the wrong set of LSG rules were in the Roostertail. The current set is there now. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

The proper rule is on I-2

Thanks,

Kevin Sheren

For starts, K-4 states meter placed 25 ft from shoreline with the boat well underway (whatever that means) and measurements taken between buoy 6 and the starting line. I-3 states measuring will be performed with the boat running at idle, at the shoreline, facing sideways. Measuring device at 50ft. The check will be confirmed when the driver runs the boat at full throttle. To me the above are different. The weigh scale is different also A vs. C.

At Kevin Sheren's new site, he ran gassers there to see if the neighbors would have a problem with the noise. One family did walk over to see what was going on and seemed to enjoy the racing. If you happen to see any neighbors showing up at a site, be really nice to them, it goes a long way.

Of course with the very busy railroad tracks on the west side of the pond they should be used to a lot more noise.

That's what I'm talking about! I'm on the county board and deal with the Dist. Attorney alot and they all know just how complicated a noise issue can be. For instance, lower tones travel farther than hign tones or frequencies which can cause them to stay "loud" on a DB meter even at 50' from the shore(big bore riggers) , also our Dr. friend brought up that some sounds are annoying or "painful" to the ear. There are ALOT of variables at play with noise and no public official wants to deal with any of it. So if we have meters and procedures in place when a complaint comes up the complainer will not have a leg to stand on, unless we are doing something stupid like reving up our boats at 7am on sunday morning or acting beligerant to the officer dealing with the complaint.

Latest posts

Back