Noise Commentary in IMPBA Roostertail

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why don't we let people know some of the muffler's that we are using and not losing power with .

I think that alot of people don't want to use mufflers becuse they will lose power but really the only thing there losing is there hearing i hope these poeple don't bring there kid's with them. :unsure:

And I'm sure Preston has boats i've seen them ;) . If you don't like the rules maybe your in the wrong hobby. :huh:

Mike

Awe shucks...... lets just run megaphone pipes.... I'm about due for a hearing aid anyway.

Who cares about the Pit Boss... let him suffer... he didn't let me launch after 30 sec. anyway.

Let's use lots of Propolene Oxide too! So what if the CD passes out! The idiot called me for a lane infraction.

Safety nets! Who needs em!

Oh! and one more thing. The host club should provide a couple of Kegs O' Beer.

Just for those of us who lose our first heat. Ya know... gotta be "ready" for the next heat.

:wacko:

Keg of beer!!!!!! I am in. None of that cheap stuff now. Only the best micro brew. That way we can be totally hammered.

Don't forget the prize money! Nothing like a bunch of hammered guys racing for $$$$. How about an additional award for the loudest boat?

I'm open to opinions on both sides of this.

Can someone who is against the suggested 95 db rule give me a solid answer as to why they are against it? And I don't mean "over-regulation is bad"...we all know that. I'm talking about the db issue.

I've heard the reasons from the 'pro-limit' group...

loss of hearing, loss of ponds, pit safety etc.

I want to hear valid reasons from the 'anti-limit' group.

PJ, here is the whining that you'll get. "The muffler won't fit under the Turbine tube in my 1/8 scale hydro so the boat won't be legal!" So far in my testing with my dB meter, the biggest offenders are the 1/8 scale boats with one blasting around the pond with a 108 dB reading!

"Can someone who is against the suggested 95 db rule give me a solid answer as to why they are against it? And I don't mean "over-regulation is bad"...we all know that. I'm talking about the db issue......."

That's just it, they CAN'T! All you do get is WAAAAAHH! I don't want to!! :wacko:

Anyone wanna bet that the boat Pat metered over 106 db in Slidell was the above posting Joe W.??? Last fall at the Slidell race, during open water, someone launched a boat that immediately turned all heads. It was Joe W. practicing with no muffling device at all. It was a single rigger that seemed twice as loud as many of the twins on the water. During the race that weekend, if you were in his heat, good luck setting a needle. When another boat is louder at buoy 3 than yours is as it passes the drivers stand, uh, too loud.

Not scientific, just listening....

Last edited by a moderator:
BOTTOM LINE.. do "WHAT EVER" it takes to save your area club ponds that have noise issues, cause when the MAN says "your outta here", your out!!! done deal!!! analyze a problem pond , is it the p.a. system? the boats or boat? a loud p.a. system faceing outward can carry long distances. focus speakers into the pits not out. talk to new or nonconforming loaners and educate them to the noise problem and how to quite there boats. they will listen. No noise issues, no problems. Noise issues, handle it. pretty simple. a doctorate, formula, or db meter will do no good when the pond is "GONE" . lets race. gene gager

If IMPBA won't grow some balls and do something,I guess it will be up to the clubs. To get a noise limit,all you have to do is put it on your race flyer. The only thing that I have against quiet pipes is when i'm using one and some inconsiderate jerk isn't,I can't hear my boat to see if it is too rich or lean. I am starting a new club in my area,and there will be a mandatory db limit. Noise has it's place,but not in "my hobby".

Bob Kensill

PRESTON... WHO YOU CALLING A FOOL??? I DID NOT SLING ANY MUD. BUT I KNOW HOW....... BOY!! YOU ARE WAY OF TOPIC. KEEP TO THE POINT........ SEEMS THE BEST THING YOU DO IS DISCREDIT OTHERS ....... DO YOU OWN ANY BOATS?
Seems you proved my point. People like you are why we can't get a db rule now. "Boy"? :lol: :lol: And no, I don't own any boats. I just rent them. :lol: :lol: My world records are rented too. As to the discredited comment, I call it like I see it and you are the one who started some nonsense as to how my record events were conducted this past fall. ;)

I DID NOT SLING ANY MUD.
I think you did.
JUST EXACTLY WHAT ARE YOU STATS IN THIS FIELD????? YOU DONT HAVE ANY????? HOW CAN YOU BE A DB EXPERT?? BETTTER GO BACK TO SCHOOL.. I SAY YOUR MOUTH TURNS MORE RPM THAT YOUR BOATS... JOE W.
Just a side note, Old Dominion Model Boat Association (ODMBA) had planned on implementing a 95 db rule by the August Invitational if the IMPBA had passed a rule by that time. Maybe ODMBA will still act before the IMPBA. ODMBA instituted a muffler rule before the IMPBA. I urge other clubs to be a leader as well and not wait on the hard heads to soften up.

How would one start an effort to convert an IMPBA sanctioned site to NAMBA? Maybe this is what's needed to get some attention from our elected officials.......

Oops.....I probably pissed off a bunch with this comment. :unsure: :unsure:

I would like to first start off by saying that Im not writing this to start any fight or name calling and that i am very uneducated when it comes to noise. I think that IMPBA does need a noise rule but because of the fact that I am uneducated about noise I am not sure that Iam for noise DB limit. I am sure that if someone could provide me with some factual information that I could come to my own conclusion. I invite constructive criticism on anything that I say.

We know for a fact that the speed of sound changes with altitude, I would asume that db readings would change with altitude as well. Is this correct? How much change would you see from a couple 1000' feet of elevation change?

If the above is true I would suspect that tempature would also make a difference as well. has any one tested this?

I have observed at diffrent ponds that noise leavels seem to change according to it shape and surrondings. I am not using a db meter this is just an observation. is this true. I raced or practiced on 10 differnt ponds in 5 differnt states last year and none of the surrondings were the same. Has anyone seen any changes with there db reading on differnt ponds?

It seems that the range we are talking about boats is from 115 db's to 95 db's. The meter that everyone seems interested in using seems to be the meter from Radio Shack Part # 33 - 2050. Here is the link to the owners manuel for this model http://www.radioshack.com/images/ProductCa.../OME33-4050.pdf

It states in this manuel that this meter has a +/- 2 db at 114 DB. With the above meter and range of 115 db to 95 db there is a 20 percent range with this meter which seems a bit exsisve to me.

What I dont want to happen to me or anyone else is to be legal at one pond then drive half way accross the country to find out that I am illegal. This is not good for racers or race clubs and could possible due more to demote model boating than the current rule as it is written.

I am only intersted in known facts and actual testing. If you can provide either please bring it to the table so that us uneducated boaters can put there fears to the side or decide that they are legitamate.

Sincerely,

Allen Waddle

Hi Allen,

I'm not looking to stir the pot either, but... The measurement thing could be an issue. Does everyone's DB meeter read the same? Does everyone's radar gun read the same? Why do you think law officers give speeders a 5MPh leeway? Gee at 75 in a 70 that's 6.6% margin for error, but at 35 in a 30 the margin jumps to 14.3%... Hmmmm...

Rich

I really don't think you will see anybody be overly strict with a 95 db limit. You could apply some of the previous reasonings to in place rules. For example, the three boat length passing rule. No, you can't actually measure this distance and three boat length seems different from an angle of 30 degrees as that of 90 degrees. And what about in the turns, how would you measure this distance. By arc length or cord length? How do we actually measure lane widths? Do you see what I am trying to say? The 95 db would basically be a guideline but you can't state it that way and have it enforced.

I have seen Don with his meter and the db level wasn't any higher with the boat 3 feet away than it was 50 feet away. This whole "how to measure" issue is being exagerated in my opinion. But in the defense of others, I probably would not have believed it til I saw it.

Preston,

I agree with you and everyone else who is pro muffler. The problem, in my opinion, with IMPBA's reluctance in this area is a way to get a "subjective" measurement rather than an "objective" one. I spoke to Pat Kelly about this very point at the SGRA race last week. He came all the way down for no other reason than to get DB readings.

Rich

Russ, if it was your club, you'd bring it up in front of the members hwether or not to change over to NAMBA. Look at what a majority of the Florida Clubs did over 2 years ago over the Insurance issue (and other factors). NAMBA is pretty much non-existant in my part of the Country with only the Electric Club in Lansing being it. If I want to race, it's IMPBA or nothing right now unless there is a big change.

I do agree that dB meter readings will be different at various sites if the pond has a lot of trees around it, if it sits in a valley or is out in the open so that your boat could very well measure differently depending on location. This is were some tolerance would come in.

If someone in here sees me at a race, just for the Hell of it if you have a dB meter, let's compare the readings that we get.

:D All of District 1 will enforce a 95db this year :D .

I suggest talking directly to your District Director and try to have him enforce the same.

It was very easy for our district to do this so there is no excuses.

I personally think this is ridiculous and if it were not for District 1 implamenting this noise rule I would have switched to NAMBA.

I think Russell is on the right track with his comment.

Tim

One other thing

Preston could you please tell me were you rent your boats I would like to break a world record or two :lol: :lol: .

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back