nitro proof paint

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Klass koat works good for us. Not as good as old K&B, but as good or better than old Hobbypoxy as I remember it.

thankx, guys.

i was sure we all used urathane or poly urathane paints.

lately it been seeming the clear isnt holding up to the nitro.ive seen a few cases.

im leaning to thinking its a bermuda problem,with the economy i think stuff is sitting here in warehouses in hi heat (because nobody wants to pay for all that A/C) for too long.

ive bought epoxies,body filler and polyester resins that seem to not work right in recent years. may have to start boating some in,,,,that means bulk!! **uhhhg**money** lol

PPG Concept DCC acrylic urethane single stage (NOT basecoat/clearcoat) has been bullet proof for me for years. The 2021 clear is what goes on all my scale boats to cover graphics (riggers and such need no clear). Not cheap but about as good as it gets.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
PPG Concept DCC acrylic urethane single stage (NOT basecoat/clearcoat) has been bullet proof for me for years. The 2021 clear is what goes on all my scale boats to cover graphics (riggers and such need no clear). Not cheap but about as good as it gets.
default_smile.png
Dons builds & paint jobs are TOP KNOTCH but I can't see the expense of the high $$$ paints & clears for a race boat,,, that can take a hit at anytime

we use automotive clear coat with good results, which is a urethane clear like Mike recommends. no problems with fuel exposure or yellowing.

im leaning to thinking its a bermuda problem,with the economy i think stuff is sitting here in warehouses in hi heat (because nobody wants to pay for all that A/C) for too long.
it could be; if it's 2-part the activator or reactive reducer has a finite shelf life and could be going bad. I've run into a similar situation with laying fiberglass; the MEKP hardener won't work if it gets too old.

Last edited by a moderator:
thankx,yup im pretty sure its a shelf life thing.

u guys have no idea the crap and expense we go thru with hobbies on an island.

the salt on hardware and bearings. the humidity on everything else ....

jus take all ur costs and irritation and triple it ! lol

thankx,yup im pretty sure its a shelf life thing.

u guys have no idea the crap and expense we go thru with hobbies on an island.

the salt on hardware and bearings. the humidity on everything else ....

jus take all ur costs and irritation and triple it ! lol
Once your activator has been opened,,, clean the screw on top and the pour spout real good, close tightly and store it in the fridge,, keeps for ever.

YOU DON"T need to worry about letting it warn to room temp when ready to use,, just add it to your paint and put it right back in the fridge

default_smile.png
Dons builds & paint jobs are TOP NOTCH but I can't see the expense of the high $$$ paints & clears for a race boat,,, that can take a hit at anytime
Hey Rick the sad part is when I started shooting PPG Concept it was somewhat affordable, the prices have gone ballistic in the last 4-5 years. My PPG dealer told me this is by design as they (PPG) want to price all the "shadetree shops" out of using their premier stuff. Problem is I'm hooked on the quality and you never seem to run of things equally to make an across the board jump. One month I'm low on catalyst, the next paint job might need some more epoxy primer, the next time maybe some more lime green.......

default_smile.png
Dons builds & paint jobs are TOP NOTCH but I can't see the expense of the high $$$ paints & clears for a race boat,,, that can take a hit at anytime
Hey Rick the sad part is when I started shooting PPG Concept it was somewhat affordable, the prices have gone ballistic in the last 4-5 years. My PPG dealer told me this is by design as they (PPG) want to price all the "shadetree shops" out of using their premier stuff. Problem is I'm hooked on the quality and you never seem to run of things equally to make an across the board jump. One month I'm low on catalyst, the next paint job might need some more epoxy primer, the next time maybe some more lime green.......
I know whatcha mean,,, I did a little spearementing,,, found the Nason 497-00 works great with Imron V-192S hardner,,, I have/had 2 quarts of that that I've been using for awhile now..

The V192S also works with the Nason Ful-Thane product

ya cool. sikkens is where ive seen the problem tho.

like i said ,pretty sure its shelf life.

its old in the shop so when u open it remainder best be kept in fridge. riggers dont use that much(or u SHOULDNT BE) so its always leftovers.i still have paint i bought before the turn of the century,bought multiple colors and was mixin n matching to make new colors,sprayed about 5 boats still have half cans of each even with wasting.

needless to say when i start building wood again (who knows when) i will need new

ya cool. sikkens is where ive seen the problem tho.

like i said ,pretty sure its shelf life.

its old in the shop so when u open it remainder best be kept in fridge. riggers dont use that much(or u SHOULDNT BE) so its always leftovers.i still have paint i bought before the turn of the century,bought multiple colors and was mixin n matching to make new colors,sprayed about 5 boats still have half cans of each even with wasting.

needless to say when i start building wood again (who knows when) i will need new

Latest posts

Back