new project

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gil sonsino

It took me some weeks to finish the first step of this new project.It's a rigger designed for saw but with few mods will run on oval with a turn fin.Solid Molds are made with epoxi "araldur" and last forever.First model is made of cf. Enjoy and more soon .Gill

DSCN3898.JPG

DSCN3899.JPG

DSCN3904.JPG

That stuff is awesome.. Looking at the shop there,.. I bet there are lots of other cool things sitting around.. I would like to spend some time there!!

Thanks Anthony and your welcome to downsouth whenever you want.This is called passion! Gill

Gil,

Very nice tooling. Can't wait to see the new boat. How fast are you shooting for?

How do you plan to join the parts?

Have you tried to put them in vacuum bags? Incredibly tough parts when you increase the fiber content by 50%+ at the same weight. You can make them lighter or tougher depending on the application.

It took me some weeks to finish the first step of this new project.It's a rigger designed for saw but with few mods will run on oval with a turn fin.Solid Molds are made with epoxi "araldur" and last forever.First model is made of cf. Enjoy and more soon .Gill
Hello Gil, I am not familiar with the araldur that you are using for the molds. If you do not mind, will you tell me a little about it and the processes that you are using to make the molds.

Thanks, Charles

Charles it is epoxy araldite. I think something was lost in translation there. There are kits available with this stuff.

Thanks Kevin, I understand what you are saying and I know the correct spelling.

I researched araldite and all that I could find about it was that it is an epoxy adhesive. I was curious as to what the filler material is to allow this to be used to make the molds from, what the specs were and if this was a different product from what I had looked up. Thought that it may be something that I was overlooking.

Always interested in new materials and procedures.

Thanks, Charles

Charles,

If you haven't been there.. Go check out the composite construction forum on RCgroups. The high performance sailplane and electric guys take molding to extremes. Nothing like a mold you put a bladder in @60psi and not deform the tooling.

Sorry for the hijack. Back to Gil's very nice molds.

Thanks guys for the nice words.Raptor this a boat for saw so it is expected to be in the 100 mph club if everything came true with my set up.Anthony you were close to Sao Paulo so next time just let me know in advance to meet you. will be a pleasure.Kevin you're right....Araldur is epoxy base resin used to make solid molds like these ones.Mixing special quartz powder to the resin you have a bulletproff molds.It is produced by Huntsman that offers an extensive line of epoxi products .The main advantage I see working with epoxi is its long lasting,odorless ,high strenght and definitevely no memory properties so you can use your model for years with very little distortion.I have my big 101 rigger (SGX based) running in perfect shape after four years of hard runs.The only disadvantage for sure is an expensive product but pays off..Raptor stay cool..the more we trade info better for us.here's a link in portughese so maybe you can find something interesting:there

http://www.maxepoxi.com.br/

As soon I make some progress will let you know.

See ya.

Gill

Here some progress: parts trimmed and ready to be joined.using a fiber tape for the tub (2" wide) and sponsons( 1" wide ).

Thanks

Gill

DSCN3969.JPG

DSCN3970.JPG

DSCN3972.JPG

SayMikey sponsons weighting 85 g without botton but you can add maybe 20 more grams and tub 390g...my guess is a boat ready to run on 8S at aprox. 3.0kg ... After some discussions I decided on this set up Leopard 4082 1600kv esc SF 300 Pro Plus.

Hugh you were right the 5682 is too big for this size boat.maybe for a new boat?!

some more pics..the "blur" you see over the boat is the PVA(poli vynil alchool desmold) that I like to maintain to protect parts from glue and dirt.Now its time to drill holes for booms,strut,rudder etc.

Thanks

Gill

DSCN3997.JPG

DSCN3998.JPG

DSCN3999.JPG

Nice Gil,what did you use for layup just carbon or a layer of glass also? Going to build a few 20 Jaes this winter and want to make them super light and strong Mike

Latest posts

Back