New Pro-Mod Class

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GeeNer, Geener , GEENERrr, Ok,, The 440's are No-Good, for the Tigers,,too much blade "floppin' around doin' nuthin'.

FICKLE: Probably not a great term here, but prop would be good in the mornin', basically and hit or miss as things warmed up. Granted, 3.46pitch is a bunch for a 3.5 tunnel, but I just didn't have anywhere to go to make it better. I just need a "brace" of props in that area and I should be fine.

The race pond in Springfield, OR. is a difficult place for set-up, many racers have trouble finding it,,many Very Good racers. :rolleyes:

Gotta Go to work :( see ya later.

Yea I was editing as you were typing :lol: :lol: :lol:

You mean 3.46 cup ? Pitch should be 2.198 on tha 1440 and 2.512 on the X640 ;)

Catch ya later Buddy,

Gener B)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen many post on this forum on how great the stock OS Outboard motor is, but I also see many post on head mods and other mods to this motor. My question being what can you modify on a stock motor and still keep it legal for NAMBA Stock Outboard races. Can you change or modify the head button and still remain stock???? <_<

Oh I think the combo is competitive enough with the current competition,,no doubt. If theres any short coming it is with my abilities, to make correct adjustments, tweek up the right prop and such. I think if I had you for a half a day Mark, I think You would even be surprised. And if I remember correctly, I think I did beat Eric in A-Outbard Hydro at the Memorial Day District race with a TT on a Mod LeeCraft XTR,, I'd kinda consider that competitive,,yeah?

Some of my thinking involves,, gee, I hardly ever see a K&B in A-Mod,, except for Clearence Smith digging out his at the trophy run at the end of each year, and almost zero O.S. Mod OB's.

So in the end I was not really lookin' out for myself starting this discussion but mainly for those that may be overcome by the high cost of the "Frankenstein" motors. It was all for discussion after all,, I'm not gonna ask anyone to vote on it.

Joe, I have a Lynx with a Mac/OS Lower and a Lynx with a Mod TT :D

Huh? I was running a brand new MAC power head first time on the water on the same Lynx that kicked your butt with the Stock OS the previous race I was down there. You imply that I had a true outboard hydro. As I recall the only reason you beat me for the day was I dumped the boat before I got the Mod setup figured out. In heats that I completed I don't recall ever seeing you on the same lap. BTW we don't hate you. We just think some of your ideas are a bit weird. If you want to see just how uncompetitive that TT is with real race motors show up at the Grand Prix in Freemont in Feb :blink:

re: keep it legal for NAMBA Stock

Modifying the head buttom would not be legal in NAMBA stock class. Unless your engine was torn down and whoever was doing the inspection knew the specifics of the stock head button no one would ever know.

BTW, Eric B's O.S. has been torn down and inspected. It sure looked the same as mine.

However, you can sharpen and shape the skeg.

JD

Eric, just to straighten the facts out,, we were both running A-Tunnels in A-Outboard Hydro Class. Yours was the Stock A-Tunnel, Lynx/O.S.,,the same one you beat every A-Tunnel with that day, and set the Record with in A-Stock Tunnel the previous day.

You didn't lap me in the A-Outboard Hydro class Sunday, Memorial Day week-end,, I was less than a half a

lap behind you. You had two first's in that class and I had two seconds, you upset yours in the last heat and I ended up with the win.

I only made that point to let Mark know that I think the Tigers are competitive,,I wouldn't exactly call that Weird. And I think the "weird thing" is B.S.,, I think it goes alot deeper than that. I think that someone that wanted to make a viable racing engine out of an "Entirely Rejected" motor should be encouraged,,,I never hear Any of That!

What I really think that is weird is your perception of me and what I'm trying to do,, I just don't understand the "wholesale" rejection of someone trying to do this. If there's any short comings in the combo that I am currently running, they are all in my inability to recognize what the set-up needs and in my racing skills.

I believe the boat and motor are good enough right now.

Eric, just to straighten the facts out,, we were both running A-Tunnels in A-Outboard Hydro Class. Yours was the Stock A-Tunnel, Lynx/O.S.,,the same one you beat every A-Tunnel with that day, and set the Record with in A-Stock Tunnel the previous day.

You didn't lap me in the A-Outboard Hydro class Sunday, Memorial Day week-end,, I was less than a half a

lap behind you. You had two first's in that class and I had two seconds, you upset yours in the last heat and I ended up with the win.

I only made that point to let Mark know that I think the Tigers are competitive,,I wouldn't exactly call that Weird. And I think the "weird thing" is B.S.,, I think it goes alot deeper than that. I think that someone that wanted to make a viable racing engine out of an "Entirely Rejected" motor should be encouraged,,,I never hear Any of That!

What I really think that is weird is your perception of me and what I'm trying to do,, I just don't understand the "wholesale" rejection of someone trying to do this. If there's any short comings in the combo that I am currently running, they are all in my inability to recognize what the set-up needs and in my racing skills.

I believe the boat and motor are good enough right now.
I do think that new ideas are to be encouraged . I just don't see how rehashing old things over and over and putting more hours than one can count in a package that to date no one has made competitive is worth all the effort. Your last statement is very telling you think your package is "good enough". For me nothing is "good enough" unless it is pushing me faster than anyone else out there. You have done a very good job pushing the TT to it's limits and still it is just "good enough" to finish 1/2 lap back from a guy that only runs as hard as he needs to when out front. I think it is admirable that you put the time in to find out that is all it has. It's just now you want to make a new class to justify the time you have in a package that most likely will never work at a national level in the class it qualifies for, Mod tunnel (and yes to me that is a weird idea). Maybe you need to cut your losses and get a Mac or other competitive power head, or be satisfied with "good enough" to finish behind the better motors.

Well Hey, That's all good,, We just think differently about competiton,, your highly competitive and I'm not.

I'm more of a mechanic than a race driver and you still have yet to see these motor's really run. I'm not a "prop guy" and that's what they really need,,, I've tried to work'em but I just haven't turned out what I need and I've ruined MANY.

Well that went well :blink:

I still say there feeding those OS raw meat :lol: :p

Gonna hide now :ph34r:

Jerry,

The prop I mentioned was an ABC 40 x 53 2 blade. We are using that prop with the MAC / Lynx here. Handles nicely.

Also, good for you for trying something out of the ordinary. I had the same sort of comments about not being competitive, why do that, etc. etc. even when I was winning convincingly and consistently - could never figure that one out. I think I learned more about engines (practically - not by reading forums etc. like we can all do now) from trying to make something "below average" into something competitive. I got a great kick out of beating better quality equipment.

If people only use what Person A uses because it's fast - thats fine, but who's pushing the envelope? It wasn't that long ago that people were saying the OS is no match for the K&B SS - I don't see that since Eric and others have been capitalising with it. Maybe the TT engine isn't the product to do it with - maybe it is. You are probably in the best position to decide that for yourself.

Hopefully you can get someone who knows the black art of prop tweaking to give you some good assistance at the race pond - if they can overlook the detail that the engine is a different brand to what everyone else is running.

Ok - Off my soap box.

Well that went well :blink:

I still say there feeding those OS raw meat :lol: :p

Gonna hide now :ph34r:
:lol: :lol: It coulda been alot worse me 'tinks :lol:

I really thought I was gunna get some Mod K&B drivers, sayin' Yeah!! Now yer Talkin',,but din't happen <_<

Sorry 'bout the "cup" / "pitch" thing, just shows how much I know 'bout prop's,, them "cod licker's" :p

:lol: :lol: :lol: Hey I got one for ya ,how tha hell ya get one of these little packets of taco sauce open from Taco Bell without shooting it all over tha wall? :unsure:

Crap tha wifes gonna kill me :lol:

Gotta scoot,

Gener B)

I've been mullin' over an idea of a "Pro-Mod" Class in the NAMBA Districts for the A-Mod boats to start with.

My proposal would be to seperate the 3.5cc engines that their manufacturers don't make they're own lower units. This Class would be called "A-Pro-Mod"

The remaining 3.5OB's such as the O.S. , K&B , Thunder Tiger and the Irwin (when it comes out) can remain in the current A-Mod class. If I forgot any other make of OB, my appologies.

I know that some will take this different than I suspect, so I'll say it now that it's just an idea for discussion.

Let me see if i understand..

Current - NAMBA A OPC = Stock motor

Current - NAMBA A Tunnel = Any powerhead and lower combo

JWIDEA - NANBA A Pro-Mod Tunnel = Matching power and lower with any Ex..

I could see this working if you could simplify the explanation and change the names.

Current - NAMBA A OPC = Stock motor

MZIDEA - NAMBA A Open Tunnel = Any powerhead and lower combo

MZIDEA - NANBA A Mod Tunnel= Matching power and lower with any Ex..

Just thinking

Grimracer

Ok, Maybe I better air it all out,, I was goin' to at the very first but I didn't want to type that much.

It was with a conversation with a fellow boater that's close to Eric B at a district race a while back concerning

someone dominating in a certain class,, has the effect on some of the others in class to just give up and stay home and watch NASCAR instead.

I thought about that for quite a bit, you really hate to lose members in that manner or for any other reason.

I thounght about a "Tournament of Champions Class" that would consist of the best performers in that class

that would all run together.

But it's possible there wouldn't be enough at that level,,so I started thinking about gathering the group of "boat motors" that their manufacturers have provided the Whole OB motor and run them together,,, it seemed to me that those units were in the "less exotic" nature of engine specs and were down somewhat

on all out perfomance.

Once those drivers gather some learned confidence in their skills would at some point move up to what I was calling Pro-Mod.

My motivation was purely noble I assure you, it was not to give Me a place to win with my equipment.

I was just trying to "offer the Tiger some meat,, Not my Arm.

Back