New Pro-Mod Class

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Wyss

I've been mullin' over an idea of a "Pro-Mod" Class in the NAMBA Districts for the A-Mod boats to start with.

My proposal would be to seperate the 3.5cc engines that their manufacturers don't make they're own lower units. This Class would be called "A-Pro-Mod"

The remaining 3.5OB's such as the O.S. , K&B , Thunder Tiger and the Irwin (when it comes out) can remain in the current A-Mod class. If I forgot any other make of OB, my appologies.

I know that some will take this different than I suspect, so I'll say it now that it's just an idea for discussion.

So, basically you are creating another 3.5 Mod Class.

Personally, I don't see any reason to create another OB class. But, that's just one FROG's opinion.

JD

I've been mullin' over an idea of a "Pro-Mod" Class in the NAMBA Districts for the A-Mod boats to start with.

My proposal would be to seperate the 3.5cc engines that their manufacturers don't make they're own lower units. This Class would be called "A-Pro-Mod"

The remaining 3.5OB's such as the O.S. , K&B , Thunder Tiger and the Irwin (when it comes out) can remain in the current A-Mod class. If I forgot any other make of OB, my appologies.

I know that some will take this different than I suspect, so I'll say it now that it's just an idea for discussion.

Don't you mean "Pro-Stock"?

Don, "Pro-Stock" does sound intresting for those that have they're own lower units,,yeah.

I don't get it. NAMBA has an "A Stock" class for "as they came" outboards that include the powerhead and the foot. NAMBA also has an "A Mod" class that allows for modified engines (notwithstanding displacement), tuned pipes, and you can run any lower end you want, be it a NovaRossi on a K&B or the NovaRossi or a Lawless. Oh yeah, and you can run the stock boat in the mod class as well.

I think what you are getting at is, as Don suggests, an "A Pro Stock" or something like that were you can run an engine just as it came from the manufacturer on any foot you like. I think in order for that to be successful you would need to open that up to any stock engine, whether it be K&B, OS, Thunder Tiger, Irwin (any that have a lower end included) and those that don't have a lower end included.

The only other consideration would be the level of participation. Though there is a three boat minimum to run a class, I'm not sure the members of NAMBA would vote to included this class since it would basically add yet another A tunnel class where participation in some districts is already low, and the inclusion of another class to run in a day where several classes are being excluded due to how their schedules work (combining inboard, outboard, scale, gas).

Maybe a rules change proposal to allow any stock engine to be run on any foot combination you choose would be a better route. Not to say that's what you intend or that the NAMBA membership would vote that in, but it would accomplish what you are looking for in a way that perhaps increases stock tunnel participation without adding more heats to be run in a day.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think maybe Jerry is talking about putting the Nova Rossi in a class by its selfe.

I have had these thoughts for a while but didn't want to be the one to bring it up.

There isn't any thing out there that will run with the Rossi (That I know of)

I would call it un-limited class!

Every one has their openion, now you have mine.

ps- I think this would be good for NAMBA and IMPBA.

Ernest. :D

Thanks for all that Chris,, My point to the whole thing is in the vein that Ernest was talking about, some engine/lower combo's are in a speed class all their own. I realize it's not all about speed but it helps,, but I think that the K&B's are totally out classed in A-mod that I have seen. The TT's are kinda close to the K&B's

in respect to "being eaten" next for most TT's owners. I don't have that problem with mine, although I don't remember running against a Nova lately.

I guess it's just personal with me,,some manufactures just have my respect for supplying you with the Whole motor.

Understood. I believe the confusing part was reference to the lower unit. In the NAMBA mod classes you can run any powerhead/lower unit combination, so you could put a K&B on a Lawless if you wanted to. Sure, K&B has not kept up with the European offerings in the Mod classes, but I've also seen my fair share of people running K&B's that are consistent and finish, finish, finish.

Nonetheless, I don't think it is likely that NAMBA would create multiple mod classes where the engine manufacturer determines which class you run in. Set up correctly, you can pick and choose between the NovaRossi, Rossi, CMB, or MAC with the numerous pipe, prop, and hull combinations to make them run fast. That means there is ample supply of everything you need to run in the NAMBA A Mod class. FYI, I've seen a few stock OS XM 21's the run faster that a fairly high percentage of mod boats. That only underscores the importance of setup.

Sounds like You started with a non competitive combination, worked on it till you figured out it will never be competitive, then want to make a new class that you think it might be competitive in?? Probably not the case but thats what it sounds like.

So let's say you get this rule passed. Are you then going to try to get another class going to prevent you from running against a Lynx or the next hot boat that comes down the pipe? My point is that it's a mod class. If you can't keep up, accept it or shell out the money it takes to get up to speed.

Sounds like You started with a non competitive combination, worked on it till you figured out it will never be competitive, then want to make a new class that you think it might be competitive in?? Probably not the case but thats what it sounds like.
Oh I think the combo is competitive enough with the current competition,,no doubt. If theres any short coming it is with my abilities, to make correct adjustments, tweek up the right prop and such. I think if I had you for a half a day Mark, I think You would even be surprised. And if I remember correctly, I think I did beat Eric in A-Outbard Hydro at the Memorial Day District race with a TT on a Mod LeeCraft XTR,, I'd kinda consider that competitive,,yeah?

Some of my thinking involves,, gee, I hardly ever see a K&B in A-Mod,, except for Clearence Smith digging out his at the trophy run at the end of each year, and almost zero O.S. Mod OB's.

So in the end I was not really lookin' out for myself starting this discussion but mainly for those that may be overcome by the high cost of the "Frankenstein" motors. It was all for discussion after all,, I'm not gonna ask anyone to vote on it.

Joe, I have a Lynx with a Mac/OS Lower and a Lynx with a Mod TT :D

I think I am following what Jerry's intent was here, But if ya want to wonder bout sumpin,The latest timed event results????? Lynx/OS combo stock class, Best one way pass at 55.6, Hmmmmmmm...... ;)

That might get the 1000 buck mod motors guy's nickers in a twist :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gener B)

Not try'n to incite a riot here ;)

I think I am following what Jerry's intent was here, But if ya want to wonder bout sumpin,The latest timed event results????? Lynx/OS combo stock class, Best one way pass at 55.6, Hmmmmmmm...... ;)

That might get the 1000 buck mod motors guy's nickers in a twist :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gener B)

Not try'n to incite a riot here ;)
Hey Slidey!! I believe I also can make the 55mph pass,, with a TT!! But it's kinda hard to drive and and run that radar gun too. The frustrating part is that I haven't got that engine to really "squirt" at a race yet. :(

Hey Jer! :D

Sorry had to run a errand there,

Im with ya on the general idea here, When everyone was running water cooled I was running a SS, When everyone went to the BIG buck Novas, I ran a Rossi, I just like being different ;)

The TT is a good little motor kinda heavy but lotsa torque. Tim D wouldnt have messed with it if he thought it didnt have potential.

Now these latest Lynx/OS results has got tha wheels turning here, Why go the big bucks for a mod class monster when you can oval a stock class screamer at the same speed? And bout half the cash outlay....

Thats the question Im wondering about,

Gener B)

K....Im done, Talk amougn'st yerself's :lol: :p

Yeah, I'm with ya on the O.S.,,after seein' Eric B's Stock OS desimate all the District 8's Mod boat's

I was shocked :eek:

But it did take a special worked up prop to make it happen along with some other things,,very impressive.

I would love to have a good prop guy for a day but they all seem to Hate Me! :lol: :lol:

Prop? There specs were a AB 1440 with lotsa time on tha balancer, Your torque is similiar to the OS so Id start off with cup at bout 3.2, Get yourself a pair of cupping pliers and squeese and pull till she hook up ;)

But Hell dont listen ta me...Ask around :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gene B)

Your The Only One That Thinks So :blink:

So, when ya wake-up in the morning, much before me,, I had best luck with X640, cut down with rounded tips,, and two Mark Sholund 1440's B/C,,one 38.51dia x 3.33cup and the other 39.85dia x 3.46cup.

The first 1440 worked great at test pond but a bit too much where I race,, tried to take pitch outa that one after a couple "Ho Hum" performances and got lost with it.

The second, the motor wouldn't turn it anywhere,, finally I cut it down to 37.5mm and Gawd! It was a Rocket

at test pond and "fickle" at the race pond,, the 640 was similar to the latter.

So thats where I'm at,,looking for some 1440's around that 37.5mm to 38mm x 3.3 to 3.4cup . Tim's told me 'bout a "50 x 42"?? hell , I don't even know what that is :lol: :lol:

Hmmmmm.........Well lets try to run this down. :D

I do know that Carls hull is setup specific, Ive never setup a Lynx or prop'd one out so Ill have to go in generalities.

Lets say you followed Carls specs for setup, try'd the props you mentioned, the hull became fickle at the race pond, like what exactlly did it do ? The first mod 1440 I ran had a weirdness to it, Fine long as it was peg'd, but lift and it was screwey.

Gener B)

Back