New 3.5cc Outboard

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Martin

Hi guys, at a race a month ago in Edmonton Al Hobbs told me there would be a Mac 21 outboard available soon. Well I didn't read anything of the sort on any of the boards so I called Andy earlier this week and he confirmed that sometime in December he will have 100 Mac 21 outboard powerheads for sale. Yea ha. I know now that one of my winter projects is going to have to be a Villian S1 with a Mac 21 strapped on the back. That has to be a rocketship for sure.........Martin

Hey that is good news, Anyone heard a price yet?

That would be a fast combo fer sure!!!!

Gene ;D

I would like to see an entire outboard engine, not just the powerhead.

Problem for some will be the price of a complete unit, Kinda depends on the market I guess, Will be cool to see how they do against the combo's already out there,

Gene ;D

::)Well we will have to wait and see but they are made by CMB and the Greenhead LS is not the fastest motor around. Novarossi RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just my 2 cents, TB

It would have to be fast to beat the Nova's, but the price should be cheaper than a Nova + crankshaft, PTO etc.

The more engine manufacturers building motor's the better I say ;D

I agree, if your gonna build the motor give us the whole **** thing. I'm tired of scrapping and digging for K & B lower ends.

:eek:

This is a good item for Mike Z. to check into since he is the outboard director for IMPBA. Hey Grim! Whats the scoop? I could use a new 3.5 power head. Nova Rossi may rule but way too pricey!

Ed Radz

Edster

You are right Andy Brown and gang are geting ready to pump out a new 21 power head. I had the chance to see the prototype at the internats this year. For your informfation it was not Andy (not there) or John that showed me the thing, nor was it being built buy them...I'll not tell who it was, but he has many years of racing outboards and so all is good...

As you know the motor has close ties to CMB however sources have told me that other then the case the rest is differnt. The good new (best i have heard) is that the PTO will not be like CMBs questionable unit. Also there is little chance that the PTO fom the MAC will the CMB. To bad...

It looks like we are in for some fun with this one.

O by the way i have no pricing to share at this time.

Now if we could just get thease guys to bring out a lower unit..

You know waht thy should do? They should make the PTO bolt pattern fit a 7.5 lower unit.. That would be cool..

Grimracer

Hi Grim,

do you mean the CMB powerhead has a dud PTO, and did you mean a PTO to fit the 7.5lower for a 3.5powerhead. ??? Didn't quite understand. I do think a 3.5 Nova etc powerhead on a 7.5 leg might be a good combination - more prop room and a stronger flex cable - I might give this a go with a spare leg.

cheers

GT ;D

GTR

As of the last 3 yeas US-1 was won in 21 mod tunnel using a nova rossi and a 7.5 lower unit.. cable and all..

Grim

O yea the CMB pto is a dud

Hey Guys,

I have been running my CMB for over a year with no PTO problems to speak of. The rod needs to be bushed on the top, but other than that, the motor is real strong. What are the problems people are having with the PTO anyway? What should I look out for? IMHO the bearing is a bit small. Or maybe I'm not as fast as the others.

Grim, can you enlighten us a bit on the motor? I know your dying to tell us all! ;) B/C my CMB measures up pretty close to the MAC 21. I imagine Andy has some better ideas on turbo porting the crank and maybe using that bell carb. Even the head is close.

Regards,

Rick

Hi Grim & others,

I had no idea about the Nova 7.5 leg combo - does anybody have a picture of how it goes together. Does the PTO for the 3.5 have to have the square drive broached out for the bigger cable.

BTW I have come up with a better teflon liner combo for the 3.5 it is smaller ID teflon tube with thicker walls and run in a brass liner. I know that sounds a lot but is a beautiful fit in the leg. ps I also have better fitting teflon for the 7.5 from an Oz plastics manufacturer.

GT ;D

Rick

This is what we have seen regarding the CMB pto.

First if yours has lasted a year then that is good because this make the unit better then we have seen.. ;D

The way the bearings are stacked and the position of the shaft seal are questionable. ANY slop in the bearings is amplified by the time the shaft passes through the seal. After a time the seal will begin to pass air. Even if the unit has been re-bushed it will do it again.

As far as the new MAC i wish i had more news but I don’t. Sorry

Grimracer

Some of our guys around here hav ethe Nova with a 7.5 setup. The have to get the pto repuched or done from Precision racing boats. Then tap the mount holes and mount it up. Some metal is taken off of the surrounding area where it hangs over.

I think you can go to Hopper's page and get to precision....if not go to his page anyway and get the number from him for precision. Either of them can tell you how to do it.

Bill Richardson

Hi Billy,

You wouldn't happen to have a picture so I can see what it looks like would you (Nova 7.5 leg). Would like to see what it looks like together. Does it do anything weird to the balance or handling as the prop must be a fair bit further from the transom.

cheers

GT

Latest posts

Back