New Crazy Al line of marine engines

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duck899

med_gallery_128_827_235871.jpg

The start of something great is on the horizon.....I got an email from Al Hobbs today with some exciting news. He is finished testing of his new 21 front intake, rear exhaust engine. Tests have shown a bone stock engine running one of Al's own specially made pipes ran 68 mph pulling a full blade H-7. The testing has been underway since last March. It will be known as the AA SLS 21. The SLS stands for super long stroke. The engine is made exclusively for Al by Axe Rossi.

We are taking their stock engines and making changes for our way of racing, then putting the AA logo on the engines to differentiate between the AA engines and the normal Rossi engines.

Later, there will be an engine to compete with the rear exhaust CMB. It will be very much like the MAC 21.

There will also be a 45 like the MAC 45, a 67 that will be like the MAC 67 and an 84 like the MAC 84. There is also a proposed 90 which Al will announce after a visit to the factory again in October.

The new engines will be called "Aces"

A little bit about Al, for those of you who do not know Al, He is one of the most devoted individuals I myself know in the model boat racing world. He is a former president of NAMBA and was very involved in the Mac series of engines from the start.

He is a boat racer.....plain and simple. He is a stand up guy....

He brought the Kalastratov line of model engines to north america.

There will be pipes as well designed for every engine.

The first 100 engines are scheduled to be delivered mid september.

Price was not confirmed to me by Al....

Now there will be choices....

Last edited by a moderator:
cool

i like the pipe.. any chance it was a clone of a irwin :D

hope it works well.. keep us posted

chris

Might pull some big props on 21 monos.Does that header have steel ring or will it. It looks good seems to have a Tighter radius than others as well. Some .12s would be cool as well. Got .12 hydro fever at our last race.

Tom,

If you mix your own fuel it is still around $25.00/gallon.

Al,

Nice job on the motor project.

Thanks For Reading,

Mark Sholund

rod geraghty turned me on to al. i've got one of those "great little pipes" on the way, rob :ph34r: . al was great to deal with, wish him all the best with this engine line. i'm ready for a rear ex. .21..........

Any internal shots of this engine?

also I'm interested in there timing numbers.

Just how much like a MAC interchangeable parts ?? Had to ask

Last edited by a moderator:
Those of you who know me well, know that I am not an engine guru. So, when it comes to getting the max out of an engine, I leave that to the experts. This engine was not brought out just for the experts. It is made for the guy who comes in off the street and decides to run model boats. My plan is to offer user-friendly engines that give the expert the room to apply his personal touches. So this first engine is a conservative engine.

That being said, no one can develope a line of engines without any help.

I've been very lucky over 40 years of running boats to meet a lot of great people. And, if we want model boating to prosper for our friends, we need to have logical competitive selections for hull designs, radio equipment and engines. The brand name A/A in the outline stands for Aces. Nothing else.

I want to thank the people that did the testing. I went through a third person to arrange blind testing. The people that did the actual testing had no idea I was involved. The idea was that the people testing could give their true opinions without worrying whose feelings might be hurt. So, after 6 months or so, here is the first A/A engine. The first order of 100 A/A SLS 21 marine engines should arrive in mid to late September. As you know, it is hard to get anything done in Italy during August.

Yes, this first engine started out as a AXE Rossi Cobra. The A/A version is made exclusively for Crazy Al. There are definite differences between the two engines. The enngine experts can probably buy a AXE Rossi engine and convert it to an engine that will perform like the A/A SLS 21 marine. Under agreement with AXE Rossi, the A/A engines will be manufactured at their factory.

So, I sure hope this works out the way it is meant to be. I'll let you know when the website is up. That is another challenge.

Al Hobbs

Back