A/A Engine Schedule

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al Hobbs

Legend of the NW
Vendor
During my meetings with Allesandro Rossi, we discussed the manufacturing schedule for more A/A engines. Throughout Europe, companies shut down in August. Everybody stops their manufacturing businesses at the same time. Does not make sense to me, but that is how it works.

As a result of their schedule and as they have several engines to make in the near future, we can not get started on the A/A 67 and A/A 84 until after August. I am disappointed, but I have learned there is no future in arguing about this situation.

My experience tells me that the larger engines will not be ready until very late fall or early winter. I had hoped to run an A/A 84 at the Hungarian World Championships in August. That cannot happen.

It is also taking a bit longer to sort out every engine design before we can make it available for sale. There is an attention to detail that is very important to producing a good engine, but that means time as well.

My previous experience was that the manufacturer was given a design, they produced it quickly to turn the money, taking some liberties with the design, and sent engines back to us in a hurry. Of course there were many errors that someone had to correct by hand here in the USA. That is not my experience with the Rossi family. They are meticulous when working with the design details.

So, I am becoming very patient and I hope you boaters can be patient as well. I think it is better to do it right the first time than to keep doing it over and over again.

After the A/A 67 and A/A 84 are completed and running well, we'll start on a new 90 design and a 21 similar to the MAC 21. Finally, we'll have a 21 outboard, but I think that will be no earlier than late 2012.

Please be patient, I am certain that the results will be worth the wait.

Al Hobbs

Outboard! Outboard! Outboard! :p Just kidding Al, keep up the good work and thanks for all you're doing for the hobby.

-Mitch

Actually I am having a great time with this project. Most boaters know I was involved with another brand made in Italy. Two of us went over to Italy several times to visit with that factory.

The situation today is so much better, it is in a different world. While there were a lot of arguments with the previous people, the Rossis have been truly professional. They listen, take the time to understand what is wanted, write everything down so that nothing is "forgotten", and put a priority on doing the job properly instead of quickly. I think the cooperation shows in the product quality.

Next it must be pointed out that I have had a lot of support from several boating friends and that also makes it a good project.

There is no question but that we need choices and alternatives to keep our hobby going. I cannot think of a faster way to kill model boating than to have no choices. I plan to offer choices within the A/A engine line itself.

I was really afraid that nitro would continue to decline unless there were additional engine choices. Considering my previous experiences, I'm really surprised that I started this project. My wife thinks that I am crazy. So be it. Maybe I am crazy.

Al Hobbs

Thats why your "CRAZY AL".....some of us have the jackets and hats, shirts and aprons.

cheers

There is nothing wrong with being a little crazy from time to time.
biggrin.gif

Zach

Normal is a myth...just some folks are a little more off than others :blink:

Does she think you are crazy when you take her to Italy?? You are taking her right?? That would be the best way to get her "buy in"... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work Al . I am kind of curious if they will go to the seemingly bulletproof steel rod / needle configuration or stick with bushed rods in the larger engines that are harder on rods ? Thanks for what you are doing .
biggrin.gif

From what i remember him saying, the 67/84/90's will all have steel needle rods.

Actually, my wife has never been to Italy. Maybe you have something there.

Yes, the bigger engines will have steel rods with needle bearings.

The engines that are built using my moulds will also be serial numbered. That number will be registered to the purchaser. So, if your boat is stolen and you have to prove that the used boat for sale in the hobby shop is yours, you can prove it by the engine serial number. This is something that I have wanted to see for a long time.

Al Hobbs

Actually I am having a great time with this project. Most boaters know I was involved with another brand made in Italy. Two of us went over to Italy several times to visit with that factory.

The situation today is so much better, it is in a different world. While there were a lot of arguments with the previous people, the Rossis have been truly professional. They listen, take the time to understand what is wanted, write everything down so that nothing is "forgotten", and put a priority on doing the job properly instead of quickly. I think the cooperation shows in the product quality.

Next it must be pointed out that I have had a lot of support from several boating friends and that also makes it a good project.

There is no question but that we need choices and alternatives to keep our hobby going. I cannot think of a faster way to kill model boating than to have no choices. I plan to offer choices within the A/A engine line itself.

I was really afraid that nitro would continue to decline unless there were additional engine choices. Considering my previous experiences, I'm really surprised that I started this project. My wife thinks that I am crazy. So be it. Maybe I am crazy.

Al Hobbs
Hey Al,

I have been away from the International Waters for a while working on my own projects. My dad mentioned people were raving about your new engine so I decided to pop my head in to see what your progress is. I've read your post I can completely empathize with you and know exactly where you are coming from. Being an entrepreneur and designer myself I completely understand the joys of building or designing a product with the intention of reaching a certain level of performance and then see people see the same value in your efforts that you do to the point that they are willing to buy a peice of it for themselves. But more so than that... to see them satisfied, or even better, exstatic about the results they have experienced that is the result of your painstaking efforts. I designed a R/C helicopter fuselage for a company and it has become their most propular design. That in itself is like the coolest thing.

I have also gone down that road of trying to build something quickly... details forgotten, or simply ignored. and having to go over the same thing over and over and over again. it wears on you and soon you start to miss things in your own quality control or let it slide in the interest of time only to have it bite you in butt later. I am working on a project now building a huge website project where I am about at the same stage as you are with the A/A motor product. It is refreshing to work with a team that shares or at least understands your vision. It also helps when they are in tune with your vision enough to know when and where they can plug in their expertise to make the product even better. This is actually a requirement I demanded from my development team on my own project and from your updates it seems you have this available to you to as well.

I am also happy to see your ability to see farther than your own immediate interest to benefit the hobby as a whole. Offering a choices is an excellent idea and a single brand need not worry about offering several sister brands or sub brands of their product. One would be amazed if you dig down deep enough, how many brands we use daily, are actually owned and manufactured by the same parent company.

I too can say "Considering my past experiences I am surpised I started this project". I have come to the conclusion however, that you never consider the project fnished until it is done right (The way you envisioned it to be done) otherwise it is always egging you on "What if...."

And there is no doubt about it. You are "Crazy"... just think.. that is what it takes to step out of your lane and blaze a new path. The road less trodden is often not the safest but for leaders and adventurers, is most fulfilling.

In our last email conversation you made a point to say you have made many friends over the years and I can see how those friendships gives you the support in the boating community that make it easier to introduce a new line of product.. I guess it's always better to be nice to everyone as you may never know when their help could come in handly. There is a lesson to be learned for all of us there.

Thanks Al, for continuing to be a leader in our boating community even after the title wore off. Maybe now nitro boating has a chance to last long enough for me to share it with my kids.

Al Hobbs
Hey Al,

I have been away from the International Waters for a while working on my own projects. My dad mentioned people were raving about your new engine so I decided to pop my head in to see what your progress is. I've read your post I can completely empathize with you and know exactly where you are coming from. Being an entrepreneur and designer myself I completely understand the joys of building or designing a product with the intention of reaching a certain level of performance and then see people see the same value in your efforts that you do to the point that they are willing to buy a peice of it for themselves. But more so than that... to see them satisfied, or even better, exstatic about the results they have experienced that is the result of your painstaking efforts. I designed a R/C helicopter fuselage for a company and it has become their most propular design. That in itself is like the coolest thing.

I have also gone down that road of trying to build something quickly... details forgotten, or simply ignored. and having to go over the same thing over and over and over again. it wears on you and soon you start to miss things in your own quality control or let it slide in the interest of time only to have it bite you in butt later. I am working on a project now building a huge website project where I am about at the same stage as you are with the A/A motor product. It is refreshing to work with a team that shares or at least understands your vision. It also helps when they are in tune with your vision enough to know when and where they can plug in their expertise to make the product even better. This is actually a requirement I demanded from my development team on my own project and from your updates it seems you have this available to you to as well.

I am also happy to see your ability to see farther than your own immediate interest to benefit the hobby as a whole. Offering a choices is an excellent idea and a single brand need not worry about offering several sister brands or sub brands of their product. One would be amazed if you dig down deep enough, how many brands we use daily, are actually owned and manufactured by the same parent company.

I too can say "Considering my past experiences I am surpised I started this project". I have come to the conclusion however, that you never consider the project fnished until it is done right (The way you envisioned it to be done) otherwise it is always egging you on "What if...."

And there is no doubt about it. You are "Crazy"... just think.. that is what it takes to step out of your lane and blaze a new path. The road less trodden is often not the safest but for leaders and adventurers, is most fulfilling.

In our last email conversation you made a point to say you have made many friends over the years and I can see how those friendships gives you the support in the boating community that make it easier to introduce a new line of product.. I guess it's always better to be nice to everyone as you may never know when their help could come in handly. There is a lesson to be learned for all of us there.

Thanks Al, for continuing to be a leader in our boating community even after the title wore off. Maybe now nitro boating has a chance to last long enough for me to share it with my kids.

Great post Roger .....can't wait for the new motors to pop up myself !
smile.gif
Thanks again Al !
smile.gif
l

Latest posts

Back