New Crazy Al line of marine engines

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a few of you know, Al is currently at the Rossi factory inspecting the new molds for the A/A 45. He says they look great and the pre-production engines will be ready for mid december with production engines ready in January. It will be a direct drop in replacement of the Mac 45.

Cheers

As a few of you know, Al is currently at the Rossi factory inspecting the new molds for the A/A 45. He says they look great and the pre-production engines will be ready for mid december with production engines ready in January. It will be a direct drop in replacement of the Mac 45.

Cheers
AWESOME!

So where can I get a 21?
biggrin.gif
When Al gets back next week, He will be unpacking engines....

Wait, am I to understand, that the new line of engines with be EXACT copies of MAC engines? from the 21 all the way to the 84, and bigger??? that includes all the parts ability to interchange with current MAC engines?

will the engines be replacements for the mac's altogether, can anyone confirm or deny?

From what Al told me all the engines except this first 21 that all the parts will fit the current Mac's. I do not know about the porting in the case will be the same though.

Bob

Al is also talking about reproducing the K90. Though I would not hold you breath on that one. It is at the end of the line. His line of AA motors will be produced by Rossi and will be drop in parts for the MAC motors(except 21). What a deal.

Thanks Alan

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm on the way home from Italy where I spent some time at the Rossi factory and with the Rossi family.

The first engine, a 21 using 180 degree exhaust header arrived here while I was in Italy. It is priced at $410. The pipe and header package is $80.

The biggest variance affecting price will be the value of the US Dollar and that depends on how our politicians run the country.

Most people know that MAC stood for Mauro, Andy and Camillo. The A/A name stands for Aces.

If you have old MAC engines and need parts, do not throw those MAC engines away. While the new engines will not be called MAC, they will be A/A, the parts will fit the old MAC engine line. And, they will have a blue water jacket as did the MAC engines.

First of the MAC replacements will be the 45. I approved the moulds while I was in Italy. I should receive castings in late November or early December for inspection and approval. If they are right, Rossi will start production and they told me I would receive the 45 size engines in Mid-January. They will also produce the 45 parabolic and the 67-84 parabolic pipes that had previously been made by Kalistratov.

We will follow the 45 with a MAC 21 replacement. We are already discussing the 67 and 84 engines which will follow the 45 and 21. We talked about 90 size engines and they will come later. One step at a time is the way I am approaching this.

Most boaters know me personally or through a reputation, good or bad, that has been passed around. I visited four different engine manufacturers and the Rossi factory is the one that impressed me the most. They use only steel moulds for the outer and inner moulds. No sand castings that can leave variances in the finished casting. They make their own moulds and they do their own casting. I am comfortable with the people and will visit them regularly to maintain a personal relationship. They control every step of production in-house except for chroming. I am happy with their quality control.

Over the years I have meet the Picco family, the Bragheri family, the Rossi family, The Kalistratovs, the Arveryanovs, and of course John Brodbeck when he owned K&B. All are good people with their own strengths and weaknesses. Nothing is perfect, but it is possible to spend the time and energy to find someone you feel most comfortable working with. I want engines that are designed to handle high nitro yet still run well on low nitro content fuels. I want consistent parts and designs that do not change every 6 months to a year. And, I want a product I can be proud to offer.

I see no reason to keep any secrets. So, let's see how this works out.

Al Hobbs

Al,

I commend you.. You have plunked down what could only be a guess as ALOT OF MONEY to do this.. and time and effort.. I truely hope this works out like your good intentions have it set up to be.

You can anwser this if you like or not your choice. Is andy done with the motor line? There has been many rumors and i am sure that you know the whole story.. Could you fill us in as i am sure there are people out there that don't know what is going on.

thanks

chris

I spoke to Andy earlier this year, prior to getting this engine line started. At that time he told me that he was out of the new engine business. I am sure that he would still be one of the people you could use to modify any engines.

As you know, Andy and I have been friends for many years and I would not get into this if Andy has not said he would no longer sell new engines.

Al, Will we see you next year in New Orleans at the Namba Nats. Mark and I are talking about going to the Namba Nats. We had some good times in N.O. in the past. Do you still have that little idibity cowboy hat? Gary

Gary, I haven't missed a NAMBA Nats in more than 25 years. I am looking forward to seeing you and Mark again. We'll have to run into "town" one evening for an inexpensive dinner with your friends at NOLA.

Good luck with your new business.

When will the new parabolic pipes be available - billet type - standard and extra muffling ( NAVIGA legal)?

PM sent.

Kim J

The MAC parabollic pipe, (45 and 67-84) was produced by Kalistratov in Russia.

As Kalistratov died earlier this year it became harder and harder to find the parabollic pipes. I still have several of the 67-84 pipes on hand, but I am out of the 45 size.

Rossi should begin production of the replacement pipes this winter. They will be like the pipes produced in Russia. These will not be the machined pipes that Andy was making.

I ran a modified Parabollic 45 pipe at the WC in Poland, Slovenia, Norway and Italy. It met the 80 db limit.

Back