Needing prayers again

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The hospital said yes. The only costs for me could be the anesthesiologist and the lab. Thanks to all who offered prayers or kind words. Miracles do happen, all you gotta do is believe!!!!!

A little side note about my neural stimulator. It was implanted in April 2011 with battery life expectancy of 5-7 years, the original battery voltage was 6 volts, with a cutoff voltage of 2.2 volts. The current voltage is 2.55 volts and a ending date of Oct 20 or earlier. On a good note, this same device is currently in field testing trials for treatment of Alzheimer's Disease, with amazing results,

Hopefully is doesn't die before it needs to be swapped out. There's a certain voltage level that it has to be at before insurance companies will allow it to be changed for them to pay up thens there's a window of time that it has to be done in. I've dealt with Medtronics as I just had a new ICD installed on the 19th of September, a different design from the one that was put in only 1-1/2 years ago.

I am still praying hoping the battery goes the distance. I probably feel your pain more than most. My tremors may not be as bad as yours, But I know full well what they are like when my meds are low or I am upset in some way.. carbidopa/levodopa 4 times a day now for me. Keep us posted.

Got a call from my Medtronic rep yesterday. They have apparently changed their mind about providing a replacement for their defective unit for free! The new unit is about $10,000. The hospital will cover 70% of that amount. That means I have to come up with another $3,000 out of my pocket. The stress has overpowered the benefits of the unit and the Meds. Yeah, I am having a wonderful week. Any and all prayers are welcome

do they actually admit that it's defective, bob? & then won't stand behind anything? i'd like to "talk to" whoever made that decision. you & karen are in my thoughts & prayers constantly. be strong, somehow this WILL work out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a call from my Medtronic rep yesterday. They have apparently changed their mind about providing a replacement for their defective unit for free! The new unit is about $10,000. The hospital will cover 70% of that amount. That means I have to come up with another $3,000 out of my pocket. The stress has overpowered the benefits of the unit and the Meds. Yeah, I am having a wonderful week. Any and all prayers are welcome
Bob,

This is a totally unacceptable situation. I used to deal with Medtronic many years ago, as I was trained to service their defibrillators in school, and I am shocked they are not standing behind their product. I went on Medtronic's Facebook page and posted my concern about this situation, (right side of page, mid-way down), without naming names. I checked back and I got a response to have you contact their patient services division and discuss this further. I have posted the Facebook link below. You will see my post, their response, and the link they provided to their Patient Services department. Please follow-up with them tomorrow and let us know the outcome. I will find their CEO on my Linkedin account and send him an email next if we need to. The one great thing about social media, companies do not like squeaky wheels, and with the amount of friends you have on IW, I do not think they are prepared to get hundreds of posts from us publicly denouncing their handling of your situation. Good luck and let us know.... ;)

https://www.facebook.com/Medtronic

Last edited by a moderator:
Back