My First boat what was yours ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First drove this Tommy Lee tunnel when I was about 8 or 9, so that's early 90s.
It's a little beat up now, lots of cracks from crashing into banks and bouys
View attachment 280004
Mario-this brings back a lot of good memories. This was the 1st fiberglass production boat made by Leecraft, I think in 1980-81. This picture is the gen. 2 deck. The gen 1 deck did not have a cockpit and the NAMBA guys in CA. complained saying they had to have a driver and I built this deck. By the way, my first boat was a paddle boat that I made with a handsaw and pocket knife and ran it in a small creek that ran by not far from my house. Great fun for a boat that you could walk along the bank faster than the boat would go.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, Tommy!
I passed that info onto my dad, as he gave me the boat to drive when I was a kid. I have no intentions of getting rid of it!

Dumas Dragonfly 60. Only got it to run good one time, then sold it. Not the boats fault, the first motor I put into it was a water cooled Enya 60 nitro motor. Run like a tug boat!! The next motor was a Super Tiger 60 ABC. It screamed!!

Dumas Miss Thriftway with an .049., then a Dumas Miss Unlimited with a .40, then a Hughy .60 hydro, then a zippkits Rockett thunderboat, and finally a gas Warpath outrigger.

one of them "1/12 scale " Pro Boat Miss Budweiser RTRs. the first one with the solid driveshaft and the plastic prop.

Well, I got into RC boats a little different than most. I had always been a lifesize boat race fan and by the mid 1980's my favorite OPC class was Mod-VP. The only RC boat that even resembled one was the International Hobbies 'Flying Wedge', a scale of the Starcraft 20. So, I set about the task of building a plug and mold of what I wanted, which was more like a Stoker SST. Learned a lot the hard way but was a good learning experience. Enjoyed running that boat for years. The big yellow boat was 39 inches long and ran surprisingly well with stock 7.5 outboard. Once I started racing I did pretty well racing tunnels. Once this current crap is over I am ready to do some racing again.

Attachments

• mv-2.jpg
    mv-2.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 32
My 1st boat was a Dager Boat Works shalow V bottom. Same co. that made the Stilleto canard. Had a OS max .46 with a Muck pipe, and a Muck wedge rudder. I wore out the OS, and went with a CMB conventional .45. I liked the steel rod, with needle bearings. Richard

My first boat was Dumas sport 40 with a airplane engine and cool clamp and airplane radio, that I ran in crooked lake near Angola In.
then I saw a add in the paper that there was going to be a race in Ft Wayne, In. So I thought my boat was fast enough to win, man what surprise , then I met Steve Ball and he helped me to get the right engine and radio so I could race, The boat was so heavy that it would not finish a race even thou it was last place because it kept running out of fuel. then the big changes were made to a bigger tank and a OS MaX 46. still didn't win any races but at least it finished as long as I didn't do something stupid .

My first boat was a little earlier than most. In the late 40s,my dad gave me a big fiberglass or plastic boat with a royal spitfire .065. no throttle or cooling. I would start it and let it go, o yah no radio ether, I didn't have to worry about it because it wouldn't go that far before it would overheat and quit. Fast forward to the mid 70s. I built a Skidaddle two with a veco Mccoy 19 1/2 It ran great.

Those are great pics........you were quite the craftsman, even way back then!
The words PAY n PAK and stripes were hand painted, I repainted that hull 3 times, as a nube, I was perfecting the water cooled radio box theory in 1979, they always run their best just before they hit shore, or a rock, or a dock........................

The words PAY n PAK and stripes were hand painted, I repainted that hull 3 times, as a nube, I was perfecting the water cooled radio box theory in 1979, they always run their best just before they hit shore, or a rock, or a dock........................
HMMMMMM...seems I was doing the same thing at about the same time........ 😂 !If it wasn't for premade graphics anD waterslide decals, my boats would be just paint......I cant even hand paint a stick figure! No artistic abilities WHAT SO EVER😁!

Water cooled radio box, that's some funny chit right their. 🤣 😁

Back